What have you been doing today?

So when it's says your program is complete, how does it know. Have you entered a time manually somewhere.

Does the oven still have an old fashioned timer/ringer?
You can either just turn it on and play it by ear, set it for a set time to cook for or set a 'finish by' time. You can also control it via the app on your phone or iPad. Apparently - I haven’t tried that yet. The last two will give an alarm at the end of the time and also ask if you want to leave it in longer (in case you got the timing wrong and the food isn’t cooked properly).

Sponsored Links
My computer monitor finally died after many years. I don't like modern wide ones. Most stuff you do on a computer requires a deep screen rather than a wide one e.g. scrolling down a document or spreadsheet, or the posts in GD. It looks like only Ilyama still make a traditional 5:4 monitor. I then remembered my brother had an old one he wasn't using, so short term it's all sorted.

My computer monitor finally died after many years. I don't like modern wide ones. Most stuff you do on a computer requires a deep screen rather than a wide one e.g. scrolling down a document or spreadsheet, or the posts in GD. It looks like only Ilyama still make a traditional 5:4 monitor. I then remembered my brother had an old one he wasn't using, so short term it's all sorted.

My desktop, has a wide monitor, which rotates 90 degrees - it's great for reading text.

My desktop, has a wide monitor, which rotates 90 degrees - it's great for reading text.

I've not heard of those. Documents are deep and narrow, like A4 paper. It's always seemed obvious to me that the screen should be a similar shape. Otherwise you can only see a small portion at a time.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have three screens though bear in mind I'm not one of you baby boomers I work from home, I'll likely keel over at my desk when old age finally catches up with me rather than ever experiencing any kind of retirement.

Is it actually the screen or the seperate power supply that's failed? When my 17 year old LG Flatron monitor started playing up, it turned out it was the power supply/transformer on the power cord. £20 on Ebay got me a new PS and it's been perfect ever since. It is also a square screen and perfect for my needs, so a pain to find anything suitable to replace it if it actually does die.

Is it actually the screen or the seperate power supply that's failed? When my 17 year old LG Flatron monitor started playing up, it turned out it was the power supply/transformer on the power cord. £20 on Ebay got me a new PS and it's been perfect ever since. It is also a square screen and perfect for my needs, so a pain to find anything suitable to replace it if it actually does die.

The power supply is built in. The power cord is just a "kettle" lead. It's been playing up for a while and then it just won't turn on at all now. Also, there's a bad flicker at times. The one from my brother is so much better!

Ilyama do two different 19 inch 1280 x 1024 monitors. One for £100, the other for £120. The only difference is that one has an adjustable stand, which also seems to rotate. Dell also seem to do one but it seems to cost £220!

Deleted for now as I may have got my sums wrong!

Last edited:
I am really hoping that someone will be able to help me here. What I would really like is to see a screenshot of what this forum looks like on a widescreen monitor in 1920 x 1080 resolution. If anyone could recreate something like the image below, so I can compare against my current monitor shape, that would be extremely helpful

1717746024455.png

Back on topic.

I’ve been to the gym this morning. Went on about half a dozen machines and then did a 20 minute swim. I've pulled 3 muscles! One in my left side, one in my left shoulder and one on the right of my neck. I had right trouble getting dressed after my swim - I thought I wasn’t going to get out of the cubicle.

Back on topic.

I’ve been to the gym this morning. Went on about half a dozen machines and then did a 20 minute swim. I've pulled 3 muscles! One in my left side, one in my left shoulder and one on the right of my neck. I had right trouble getting dressed after my swim - I thought I wasn’t going to get out of the cubicle.
I'd stick to walking Susie.

Ilyama do two different 19 inch 1280 x 1024 monitors. One for £100, the other for £120. The only difference is that one has an adjustable stand, which also seems to rotate. Dell also seem to do one but it seems to cost £220!

My rotating monitor, on an adjustable height stand, cost just £30, from ebay and described as refurbed. Thus one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315073712866

Rather than being a refurb, it gives the impression of being brand new, and the picture is superb. I tried it once in vertical layout, from memory, Win11's display settings, simply needs to be told it is dealing with a vertical monitor.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If anyone could recreate something like the image below, so I can compare against my current monitor shape, that would be extremely helpful
Here is a 1920 x 1080 screen @100% scaling and default zoom level in Firefox, your view may appear differently, depending on settings...

Screenshot 2024-06-07 102413.png

I tried it once in vertical layout, from memory, Win11's display settings, simply needs to be told it is dealing with a vertical monitor
Your desktop may support the shortcut "Ctrl, Alt & Arrow keys" to rotate the display.

Sponsored Links
Back