What have you been doing today?

Jaysus! WIFI enabled oven? I fear people are getting over reliant on tech and over complicating things. Must take a lot of time reading manuals for all the 'smart' devices with 100s of functions destined never to be used.
You’d hate my kitchen. Oven, hob, extractor, dishwasher and washing machine all wifi.

It’s most handy for the push alerts that come to your phone. Oven up to temp, timer finished, washing cycle finished.

For the oven can set the oven to pre-heat or cook remotely so you can have your dinner quicker when you get home.

The hob and extractor talk to each other, so you turn the hob on and the extractor comes on automatically.

Dishwasher and washing machine, mostly used to set the cycle to start at whatever time you choose which is handy as we have cheap electric on an Octopus variable tariff. The machines can also count the number of tablets you use and reorder them for delivery when you run low.

We could absolutely live without all the above, but it’s handy all the same and very easy to set-up/use without the manuals. (Unless your name is Mottie :D)

Sponsored Links
Jaysus! WIFI enabled oven? I fear people are getting over reliant on tech and over complicating things. Must take a lot of time reading manuals for all the 'smart' devices with 100s of functions destined never to be used.
I’ve got two WiFi enabled ovens and one WiFi enabled hob. I don’t think they make a Wi-Fi unable version. I NEED to be able to turn the oven temperature up or down without having to get my lazy arse off of the sofa and walk all the way out to my kitchen…… :rolleyes:

Having said that, just as I was typing my reply, Mrs Mottie went to warm up some milk in the microwave and I got this message pop up on my iPad:

IMG_6483.jpeg

Until I deleted the message, she couldn’t use it. It’s just too complicated, I might have to delete the whole WiFi thingy until my brain catches up with the 21st century.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You’d hate my kitchen. Oven, hob, extractor, dishwasher and washing machine all wifi.

It’s most handy for the push alerts that come to your phone. Oven up to temp, timer finished, washing cycle finished.

For the oven can set the oven to pre-heat or cook remotely so you can have your dinner quicker when you get home.

The hob and extractor talk to each other, so you turn the hob on and the extractor comes on automatically.

Dishwasher and washing machine, mostly used to set the cycle to start at whatever time you choose which is handy as we have cheap electric on an Octopus variable tariff. The machines can also count the number of tablets you use and reorder them for delivery when you run low.

We could absolutely live without all the above, but it’s handy all the same and very easy to set-up/use without the manuals. (Unless your name is Mottie :D)
I can't be bothered with all that stuff, however jokes aside I can see the benefits for certain consumers and in some ways I'm entering the luddite stage of my life :)

I’ve got two WiFi enabled ovens and one WiFi enabled hob. I don’t think they make a Wi-Fi unable version. I NEED to be able to turn the oven temperature up or down without having to get my lazy arse off of the sofa and walk all the way out to my kitchen…… :rolleyes:

Having said that, just as I was typing my reply, Mrs Mottie went to warm up some milk in the microwave and I got this message pop up on my iPad:

View attachment 345285

Until I deleted the message, she couldn’t use it. It’s just too complicated, I might have to delete the whole WiFi thingy until my brain catches up with the 21st century.

Sure you will iron out the teething problems. Until then keep the camping gas stove to hand. (y);)

:eek:

Sounds like my idea of some kind of Orwellian hell. Not even my pc is wifi enabled, and my Nokia certainly isn't.

I can't be bothered with all that stuff, however jokes aside I can see the benefits for certain consumers and in some ways I'm entering the luddite stage of my life :)

Yes, another luddite here. This tech can start to get a bit annoying. Go to the pub and order a pint, barmaid hands me a terminal as I hand over my fiver. Sometimes I put the terminal to my ear and say "hello, hello!". Then watch as she struggles to do the maths and work out how many of those strange metal discs to give back to me.

This brilliant ad sums up the pointless, dead-handed stupidity of the modern disease of over-reliance on tech, etc perfectly.

Last edited:
I cooked a Spag Bol and some garlic bread tonight. Just sat down, opened my iPad and saw this:

WTF? :LOL: I'm surprised it's not all linked to Alexa, so there is a running commentary.

What is post-cook?

Much as I like my tech, I don't like to become over reliant upon it. I like to have a backup available, for when it all goes wrong. Trouble with it, when it does go wrong, it doesn't bother to tell you - it leaves you to find out for yourself.

A Poncey way of saying leave it in for a few more minutes!

So when it's says your program is complete, how does it know. Have you entered a time manually somewhere. Years ago I heard about ovens that would weigh your food and work out the settings. Also, can it scan barcodes on the packaging to work out cooking times and temperatures automatically.

Does the oven still have an old fashioned timer/ringer?

So when it's says your program is complete, how does it know
Something that has made me wonder, each time I put some washing in/on:why the countdown timer bears no relation to the minutes passing.

So, the other day, I googled it.

Apparently, the washing machine "knows" how long the load needs, and adjusts the length of time remaining if it thinks it needs longer.

Stuff like the load being unbalanced in the drum causes the program to lengthen, apparently.....

We finished off the french drain, along the back of my workshop, to prevent the water ingress, next stage is pipe it all the way to the front, and past my garage. Whilst we were at it, we added some extra drainage to the section of garden which floods under the kitchen window, when there is lots of heavy rainfall - to supplement the drainage I put in many years ago.

Sponsored Links
Back