What have you been doing today?

Used one coat for the undercoat then put B & Q coving adhesive/ filler on top. Lots of people telling me it's rubbish, but I find it really good. Easy to layer, quick to dry and a piece of p.... to sand down.
I’ve used left over artex as filler in the past. Anything will do to fill a hole.

Sponsored Links
My wind up delay timer turned up a couple of hours ago, for my workshop compressor, so I've got that fitted. I was lucky to find, in my pile of various bits, a side by side, surface box. That allowed the timer to fit one side, a 13amp socket the other, then a short bit of 3c flex, to allow it to plug in to another socket. Plug the compressor into that, turn the dial, and away it goes, giving one charge of compressed air, or more if needed, up to 60 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Early morning session at the gym. 20 mins on the treadmill followed by a 20 mins swim. Then, because Mrs Mottie had an attack of vertigo (often gets it after a flight) I walked the dog with her mates and had to listen to a load of girlie shyte. Had to then drive her down to the care home to visit her mum, sat out in the grounds drinking tea and listening to impossible stories and general nonsense from her mother. Then went round her mums house, cut the grass out the front and dealt with the mail. Went home and made tea - salmon and our own-grown new potatoes. Currently watching the football and after that, I’m going over the allotment to see what’s dried up today!

I’m going over the allotment to see what’s dried up today!
Nothing dried at all. Picked a couple of lettuces, a few sweet peas and possibly the last of this years asparagus. Going to let them go to seed and build up for next year.

IMG_1855.jpeg

Last edited:
Walked the bounds around 'my' woodland and watched the sun rise o'er the Old Oak in good company. Finally found time to plant a dozen Peacock Orchids in the rockery then cleared the south side of the house of weeds and ants, keeping my fingers crossed the weather holds til i get back next week to brush water seal around the edges. Really wish i'd done it last October but chose to clear a garden then the weather turned and there's been no opportunity with all the rain and gloomy skies. Finally, Summer's here! The hills are a-callin'... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The new water butt, sealed up last night, gave a satisfying psssst noise, as I opened the tap this morning, as the air pressure was released - which suggests, if it can hold air under pressure, it will retain water without leaking. So we cut a hole in the base (it's going in upside down), to allow the gutter fall pipes to go in, and a union for the overflow pipe, near the top.

The air test was entirely accidental - I sealed it up yesterday evening, whilst it cooler. This morning was quite warm and sunny, resulting in it building up quite a bit of pressure.

It's in place now, with a little tap water in the bottom, just enough to stop it from blowing away, until we get some more rain. We took the opportunity, to clear out and test the guttering, whilst we were there - it needed a slight adjustment to the level of one section.

Getting a pair of 'new' front tyres fitted. A pair of Bridgestone Turanza's, £45 fitted/balanced, used, with 0.5mm of wear already on them - absolute bargain. Last time, I caught one monkey fitting knock on weights to my alloys (not this garage), so this time I asked to be sure they were using stick on's, but entirely forgot to tell 'em to leave the bolts just snug, and I would torque them properly.

At my last MOT, my mate the inspector, suggested the front one's were getting close, so I've been keeping an eye on them - down to 2.5mm so I decided to replace. What I hadn't noticed was the way it liked to wonder a bit, if I relaxed too much, behind the wheel. It felt fine, pressing on at speed, but relax and it seemed to like to wonder a bit. The 'new' tyres fixed it, and it now feels very precise.

I ended up in Lidl's car park later, heaving on a long bar, trying to undo them, and torque them up properly :(

..and, whilst in Lidl, Avril took a fancy to a VAX carpet cleaner, so we got one.

I ended up in Lidl's car park later, heaving on a long bar, trying to undo them, and torque them up properly :(

Whenever I get any work done that involves wheel removal at a garage/tyre place, first thing I do is loosen the wheel nuts that always seem to be very over tightened. Recently when it came back from work, I needed my long breaker and several tins of spinach. They were very tight and 'cracked' as each one was loosened. I then did them up to something more sensible. Would never have a chance using the wheel brace that comes with the van to get the wheel nuts loose if I had a flat when out and about. I always keep the breaker bar with appropriate socket in the back now. Maybe I'm getting older! :rolleyes:

Have you agree all cars in household have a set of gloves and a long handle 1/2" ratchet to change wheels. Wrench extending from Lidl for less than £12.

That is after showing all how to change a wheel and appropriately torque on studs / nuts

Have you agree all cars in household have a set of gloves and a long handle 1/2" ratchet to change wheels. Wrench extending from Lidl for less than £12.

That is after showing all how to change a wheel and appropriately torque on studs / nuts

I have a pair of gloves, floro bib, pair of coveralls, spare jacket, tyre repair kit, 12v compressor, meter, tow-rope, jump leads, a variety of tools, a couple of torches, brake/clutch fluid, and a spare tyre under the boot, and a box of spare lamps. While ever they are there, I will never need them. The car tool kit, which fits in the spare, includes a jack, wheel brace, and chock etc., to that I added a short bit of tube, to extend the wheel brace.

In my garage, I have a couple of 'spiders', a Lidl extending wrench, torque wrench, plus an air gun.

I've just checked the tyre pressures with my PCL gauge, on the 'new' tyres, and they were to my surprise, spot on.

Sponsored Links
Back