What have you been doing today?

We have some of them on our stuff. I wondered whether they were just decorative or served a purpose. I would have thought that if they were to hold things together they might split along the grain?

View attachment 348842
well that to me is all wrong, the grain should run from side to side so as to give it great strength, this tie would just snap along the grain -

These ties are widly used to give strength where would is coming or likely to come apart, see

Sponsored Links
Went to the garden centre to buy a 9ft tree stake to support our Himalayan birch. Spent some time balanced on a stepladder banging it in with Mrs Mottie holding it and when I climbed down and checked it was about a foot out of line. It was a bugger to get back out - I had to screw some screws in it and lever it out with a spade. Our son, DiL and grandkids came round today so I got my son to hold it straight. They stayed for dinner - I made a Spag Bol. Afterwards, I left them yakking in the kitchen while I crept off for a little lie down with my sleeping granddaughter. Of course, my grandson had other ideas and wouldn’t leave us in peace!

4f848fe5-6518-434d-9732-44b03f2ae6e4.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We (family) went to Pee in the Park today. It wasn't a very great day for humans, but perfect for dogs running about.
It was held here, just outside Dalkeith.
It's on tomorrow too, but I'll wait until it comes around again next year.
aye - a bit cold and damp, went for a walk with a coat and woolly hat on. And now its pishing it down - What a summer

so did you have a competitor in pee in the park ?

aye - a bit cold and damp, went for a walk with a coat and woolly hat on. And now its pishing it down - What a summer

I went openwater swimming this morning, and asked some friends if they thought we'd even have a summer this year......

My bet would be that it'll turn up in September, and we'll be sweating our nadgers off.... and it'll be dark by half past seven.....

I went openwater swimming this morning, and asked some friends if they thought we'd even have a summer this year......

My bet would be that it'll turn up in September, and we'll be sweating our nadgers off.... and it'll be dark by half past seven.....
I have just had a walk round the outside of the house - I hazard a guess it was a similar experience to open water swimming

something is going seriously wrong with the weather

we live somewhere in here, yellow bits are probably not the sun and I guess the red is the global warming
1720907547277.png

Sitting in the back garden listening to The Human League. Live.

They're playing on The Downs in Bristol on the edge of the Avon Gorge near the suspension bridge. I'm a couple of miles away, but the wind must have been blowing in this direction as I could hear it quite well. They have several summer concerts each year there, but this is the first time I could hear it so well. Good bit of 80s music.

Friend managed to get some free tickets several years ago for Madness on The Downs. Great night out and audience of all ages enjoying the music.

Last edited:
We are completely upside down, having replastering done and new windows fitted in 3 rooms and the staircase simultaneously.

Currently, part of the kitchen/ diner is a bedroom, and another part of it is a very compact lounge (consisting of a small sofa, the dining table and the TV atop it).

Finding a home for all the stuff in all the rooms is an absolute nightmare... Some larger pieces of furniture will have to stay out, covered with dust sheets.

Be great when it's all over!

Finding a home for all the stuff in all the rooms is an absolute nightmare... Some larger pieces of furniture will have to stay out, covered with dust sheets.
Our kitchen was finished over a month ago and we still have stuff (non induction pots and pans, crockery, kitchen utensils and equipment, unused curtains and blinds, contents of several junk drawers etc) occupying both unused bedrooms. Going to do a dump run/charity shop drop off this week to clear them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think we may be back to normal by Christmas.....

Our problem was that when we got together, we brought together the contents of a 3 bed maisonette with the contents of a 3 bed semi and did not do a great deal of sorting and deciding what to keep and what to chuck.

The result, more than a quarter of a century later, is that we have a lot of gear. We could easily lose 50% of our stuff and the place would not look empty.

So emptying a 5.2m x 3.8m lounge and the same size of bedroom space above it is proving problematic!

Our kitchen was finished over a month ago and we still have stuff (non induction pots and pans, crockery, kitchen utensils and equipment, unused curtains and blinds, contents of several junk drawers etc) occupying both unused bedrooms. Going to do a dump run/charity shop drop off this week to clear them.

Set up a pasting table, alongside the drive, and fill it with all the stuff you want rid of - Just add a note 'FREE HELP YOURSELF'. That works just fine, around here.

Sponsored Links
Back