Winter Fuel Payment

Sponsored Links
I support Labour getting rid of something that is money given to well off people

but they have made an error of judgement in not ensuring those pensioners just above the pension credit get supported in some way

I will have a look at the link and may well sign it

Edit: I’ve signed up, Labour need pressuring to reverse this for those that need it

Last edited:
I support Labour getting rid of something that is money given to well off people

Generally, so do I, but logically, it would cost more than it would save, in preventing it. There is also the aspect that the really wealthy, would be sort of refunding it in other ways, such as extra taxes they pay.

What really shocked me, was the speed with which Labour jumped on this so quick, once in power.

Generally, so do I, but logically, it would cost more than it would save, in preventing it. There is also the aspect that the really wealthy, would be sort of refunding it in other ways, such as extra taxes they pay.

What really shocked me, was the speed with which Labour jumped on this so quick, once in power.
The argument against that is the really wealthy do everything they can to avoid paying those taxes.

I'm not a fan of paying out a benefit to those that don't need it. It surprises (it doesn't really) me that so many right wingers support unnecessary benefits

Sponsored Links
Conservatives key voters are pensioners.

We know Conservatives use bribes to get people to vote for them: cheap council houses, NI cuts, winter fuel payments to wealthy pensioners.

Conservatives key voters are pensioners.

We know Conservatives use bribes to get people to vote for them: cheap council houses, NI cuts, winter fuel payments to wealthy pensioners.

There are none so blind, as those that will not see.

They should have reduced the higher rate tax band for pensioners by 75 then the cost to these people would be paid back in tax

Perhaps it is less about the specific detail - WFA - and more about a general trajectory, a principle : that those who don't need it, shouldn't get it.

While it might be an unrealistic goal, only giving support to those who genuinely need it would be a benefit to both the recipients, and the country as a whole.

Do keep up it was labour who introduced winter fuel payments in 1997
Keep up, that was before we had pension credit and when more pensioners were in poverty. Pensions have also increased hugely over recent years due to the triple lock.

Mick and Elton don't need it.

Sponsored Links
Back