All that extra time getting your passport stamped…..

Milan 2 hours 2 weeks ago...EU passengers just waved through... does anybody remember those days... Oh and the customs wait was about 1 hour so we could get the two laptops in one bag recorded on my passport so we could be checked for exporting them after the trip... or I could have filled in the import form and paid £120 , £100 fine for not pre-declaring and £20 import tax.... Now I seem to remember a different time when we had these things called rights.... Thanks Mottie
Standard content of my carry on is two laptops, two phones and an iPad. never had a problem anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Milan 2 hours 2 weeks ago...EU passengers just waved through... does anybody remember those days... Oh and the customs wait was about 1 hour so we could get the two laptops in one bag recorded on my passport so we could be checked for exporting them after the trip... or I could have filled in the import form and paid £120 , £100 fine for not pre-declaring and £20 import tax.... Now I seem to remember a different time when we had these things called rights.... Thanks Mottie
I don't understand. In my carry on when going abroad, I have two iPads, two kindles and two mobiles that I have to get out when going through security. I've never been charged or questioned about them. Had you just bought them and were importing them from one country to another? Explain some more.

I don't understand. In my carry on when going abroad, I have two iPads, two kindles and two mobiles that I have to get out when going through security. I've never been charged or questioned about them. Had you just bought them and were importing them from one country to another? Explain some more.
Any goods over £270 are subject to import tax or vat... if a country suspects that goods you take through EU customs are to be sold in that country they are entitled to charge import fees mostly vat but that does vary. Various country's have crack downs and are legally entitled under the oven ready turkey deal done by boris to charge... you can pre apply for items and if, as under the old carnet system, you leave them in the eu you are liable to pay duty upon exit. Some countries Italy in particular choose a less rigorous regime and just note down serial numbers on your passport if that's in one of their crack downs.

So in summary you are allowed personal goods upto the value of £270 to be brought into the country and recipocrally £270 into the EU. Its up to you to prove that personal items are just that, by the way that includes gifts. Most people find that out as a bit of a surprise...on entry. I watched a couple bring back antiques from a flea market get stung for £400 at dover in vat.

We are outside the EU and custom limits apply to all..its what you voted for.

In our case I carried two expensive laptops through Italian customs... quite rightly they were iffy about why I needed two.

Any goods over £270 are subject to import tax or vat... if a country suspects that goods you take through EU customs are to be sold in that country they are entitled to charge import fees mostly vat but that does vary. Various country's have crack downs and are legally entitled under the oven ready turkey deal done by boris to charge... you can pre apply for items and if, as under the old carnet system, you leave them in the eu you are liable to pay duty upon exit. Some countries Italy in particular choose a less rigorous regime and just note down serial numbers on your passport if that's in one of their crack downs.

So in summary you are allowed personal goods upto the value of £270 to be brought into the country and recipocrally £270 into the EU. Its up to you to prove that personal items are just that, by the way that includes gifts. Most people find that out as a bit of a surprise...on entry. I watched a couple bring back antiques from a flea market get stung for £400 at dover in vat.

We are outside the EU and custom limits apply to all..its what you voted for.

In our case I carried two expensive laptops through Italian customs... quite rightly they were iffy about why I needed two.
Some people will try and tell you nothing has changed.

Others understand.

Sponsored Links
Standard content of my carry on is two laptops, two phones and an iPad. never had a problem anywhere.
Hi, I consider myself a frequent traveler and resourceful too.
Could you explain to me how you carry the two laptops, two phones and an iPad in your bag?
I have always had a problem with the bag of about 1.5 to 2 kg,
then two laptops weigh about 6 kg (each 3 kg).
That immediately puts me over the limit of 7 kg.
Then you can carry the phones (about 0.4 kg) and an iPad (about 0.3 kg).
I assume you do not carry the chargers and cables etc. in your hand luggage.
Forgive my question, but what do you use, a paper bag to carry them in?

I’m beginning to think yours may just be a story of convenience. So, were they new, boxed and had had no use? If you bought them in the EU for use in the U.K., why? Did you not work out the total cost of purchase and import duty? Only an idiot wouldn’t work that out before buying 'em. Anyway, £120 to get two 'expensive' laptops home doesn’t seem excessive to me. Do they have EU or U.K. chargers? Much more information needed.

Last edited:
Usually, if you buy laptops in another country, they, and the plug, is suited for that country/language. Of course there are exceptions where some countries will use English as a second language.
You can change the language in your laptop settings, but it is usual to also apply a stick on keyboard layout.
You will still need to use special Character Map/Unicode key strokes, which is a pain..
So anyone who only ever writes in English would be a bit foolish to buy a laptop in a country with a keyboard in a foreign language.

Hi, I consider myself a frequent traveler and resourceful too.
Could you explain to me how you carry the two laptops, two phones and an iPad in your bag?
I have always had a problem with the bag of about 1.5 to 2 kg,
then two laptops weigh about 6 kg (each 3 kg).
That immediately puts me over the limit of 7 kg.
Then you can carry the phones (about 0.4 kg) and an iPad (about 0.3 kg).
I assume you do not carry the chargers and cables etc. in your hand luggage.
Forgive my question, but what do you use, a paper bag to carry them in?

Hello himmy. New user name I see.

MacBook Pro is about 1.4kg. My dell work laptop about the same. Both will run happily on the same USB C charger. I use a 3 in 1 mag charger for two phones and a watch. Again USB C.

Hello himmy. New user name I see.

MacBook Pro is about 1.4kg. My dell work laptop about the same. Both will run happily on the same USB C charger. I use a 3 in 1 mag charger for two phones and a watch. Again USB C.
Is this some kind of initiation ceremony where each new user is asked if they are himmy?
What does being himmy even mean?

Sponsored Links
Back