And some say MP's are lazy work shirking buggers…

Yes it’s a serious question. Some people don’t care. They are happy with what they get and like the work they do. They don’t want to change.

Others seek to better themselves, taking on more senior roles, studying in their own time, learning about things that will help them get a promotion.

And then there are those who expect more for doing the same, because they can strike if they don’t get it.
So somebody on minimum wage doesn't need a rise because they are happy just working.

Yes there are some that work that don't need the money. But exploiting them just makes it worse for others.

I think you fall into the bad manger category from your comments. The less you pay others, the more you get

Sponsored Links
please provide an example of these people expecting more for doing the same:

Junior Drs = below inflation pay rise
Train drivers = below inflation pay rise
Nurses = below inflation pay rise
So basically the same as the rest of the country unless you can provide examples of other trades or industries getting inflation matching or inflation busting pay rises. Can you?

So basically the same as the rest of the country unless you can provide examples of other trades or industries getting inflation matching or inflation busting pay rises. Can you?
So you agree. Wages haven't kept up.

i was a train driver from the wonderful summer of1976 untill 1994
how many bus drivers have to handle 2to 12 vehicles full off passengers or up to around 2500t freight trains

How many bus drivers, have most of the job of driving, actually done for them, with sometimes - miles of warning of the need to stop or slow down?

The fact is - train driving involves much higher level of responsibility, but only a fraction, of the actual need to drive as would a vehicle on the public road.

Sponsored Links
How many bus drivers, have most of the job of driving, actually done for them, with sometimes - miles of warning of the need to stop or slow down?

The fact is - train driving involves much higher level of responsibility, but only a fraction, of the actual need to drive as would a vehicle on the public road.
Quit digging holes boyo, you are clueless as usual.
Always wondered - how do you know that you never counted the same ant twice?

It's just drivers supply and demand, nothing to do with difficulty.

You should try talking to a train driver I think

lets just say different skill sets and leave it at that
Most jobs are different skill sets.
i can not drive a car but spent 24 years on the footplate

I am surprised by that. As I think I said, I come from a railway family, going back to the beginning of railways, including my own father. He learned to drive, primarily because of the need to get to work, at strange hours.

if those who think comparing the merits and value off one job with another then let them do the full research:giggle:

Apart from family, more recently I used to have a close friend who was a driver, who had worked during the days of steam. Having an enquiring mind, I would enjoy listening to his experiences, and the skill, problems, technical issues of driving steam. Back in those days, it really was involved, and very hard work indeed.

Most jobs are different skill sets.

I am surprised by that. As I think I said, I come from a railway family, going back to the beginning of railways, including my own father. He learned to drive, primarily because of the need to get to work, at strange hours.

Apart from family, more recently I used to have a close friend who was a driver, who had worked during the days of steam. Having an enquiring mind, I would enjoy listening to his experiences, and the skill, problems, technical issues of driving steam. Back in those days, it really was involved, and very hard work indeed.
i give you full credit for a comprehensive answer
i dont mind giving a more comprehensive, say 7 page essay as an answer as long as the recipient is open to genuine information and reason and give other than a 2 line pointles "a yes but a bus driver----"type answer with no real input or connected comment
aaannnd i deliberatly chose a house just under a mile from redhill station to make sure getting to work was a 12min quick walk or a slower 16min waddle as my beer belly progressed
:giggle:

Last edited:
i dont mind giving a more comprehensive, say 7 page essay as an answer as long as the recipient is open to genuine information and reason and give other than a 2 line pointles "a yes but a bus driver----"type answer with no real input or connected comment

For me, the subject is exhausted, but as said - I do have an enquiring mind, so would be interested in how things differ now, versus those arduous, and maybe underpaid steam days.

UK standard of living is way behind most equivalent Western economies

the Tory economic model of vested self interest has failed.

So basically the same as the rest of the country unless you can provide examples of other trades or industries getting inflation matching or inflation busting pay rises.

The "inflation-busting" pay rises only become necessary because they're few and far between: if they got smaller annual raises, the country could manage that better, and the RW meeja wouldn't have anything to crow about.

But, as is typical of those "guardians of the economy", they underfund the public sector and infrastructure, shovel money into chums' contracts / pockets, and then foment employee unrest.

Last edited:
For me, the subject is exhausted, but as said - I do have an enquiring mind, so would be interested in how things differ now, versus those arduous, and maybe underpaid steam days.
the underpaid carried on untill i left the railway in 94 i was on a ballast train at faygate saturday night rest day[1 3/4] into sunday[1-1/2] now the maximum you where allowed was double time so lost 1/4 pay but thats not the point it was i worked out i had to work 12 hours a few mins to earn £100 so £4 some pence an houras hourly pay rate [doubled]
untill around 87 most sub 100mph trains had no headlights
drivers knew the routes in the dark navigating via signals bridges track noises stations etc knowing all track speeds in the dark
some trains untill around the mid 80s didnt even have speedoes and drivers just go by experience an"feel"

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back