And some say MP's are lazy work shirking buggers…

12 hours a few mins to earn £100
This inflation calculator uses the official UK consumer price index. An inflation rate of 3.09% per year means £100 in 1994 is worth £249.28 in 2024.
Some older people may be inclined to ignore inflation.

Sponsored Links
The "inflation-busting" pay rises only become necessary because they're few and far between: if they got smaller annual raises, the country could manage that better, and the RW meeja wouldn't have anything to crow about.

But, as is typical of those "guardians of the economy", they underfund the public sector and infrastructure, shovel money into chums' contracts / pockets, and then foment employee unrest.
It's the same in many sectors public and private. Underinvestment year in year out, even decade in decade out, and then surprise surprise we're up against it because it then becomes a case of 'to bring X up to current standards will require an investment of Y billions.'

We never seem to learn ...

So basically the same as the rest of the country unless you can provide examples of other trades or industries getting inflation matching or inflation busting pay rises. Can you?
retention in public services such as nurses, doctors etc is very low........so the NHS has to try and recruit from foreign countries.........which people like you moan about

wages have stagnated in this country since around 2010, so now we have people in full time work suffering fuel and food poverty, or they have seen any discretionary income drop to zero, so all they are doing is working hand to mouth

try thinking harder

Sponsored Links
It's the same in many sectors public and private. Underinvestment year in year out, even decade in decade out, and then surprise surprise we're up against it because it then becomes a case of 'to bring X up to current standards will require an investment of Y billions.'

I blame austerity. Cutting out spending on maintenance and upkeep always comes back to bite

I blame austerity. Cutting out spending on maintenance and upkeep always comes back to bite
I don't discount the financial struggle of budgets either, although I'm by no means defending government and councils for bad planning.

I used to have budgetary responsibility and, within my 'funding envelope' I was always firefighting. I used to allocate something like £50k to task x each year. Management were shocked when I produced a report showing to maintain best practice for task x, in reality I would require £200k ... per year ... every year.

Needless to say it never happened, so spinning the financial plates continued.

I don't discount the financial struggle of budgets either, although I'm by no means defending government and councils for bad planning.

I used to have budgetary responsibility and, within my 'funding envelope' I was always firefighting. I used to allocate something like £50k to task x each year. Management were shocked when I produced a report showing to maintain best practice, in reality I would require £200k ... per year ... every year.

Needless to say it never happened, so spinning the financial plates continued.
I don't deny any of that

But removing funding is even worse than limiting it.

It's just kicking the can down the road, until there's no road left.

Earlswood?

I had a mate who used to live there, loads of nice Victorian semis
the other direction [north] Lyndale road rh1 2ha in a 1907 victorian terrace [still there now lol]
the railway club was in hooly lane Earlwood and i must have had 10% shares in the beer purchase volume on sunday night and a few other days --as it happens railway club long gone but now 30 years on the niece now lives at the other end off hooly lane by the Tonbridge line lol

:giggle:

Last edited:
austerity in general is pure madness
you cut back reduce prosperity and infrastructure suffers

when in general you need to stimulate ithings like social housing building that is madly short and need to start social projects and public works like roads and infrastructure --invest in youth and the young invest in social care and elderly care short term cut backs cause 10 times more problems and the evil off a divided society
better to look after people and the infrastructure that will take perhaps 10 years to give ballance sheet return but in the mean time more social housing available more adults in happy full time employment rather than socially divisive benefits help [subsidised poor paid work] the young with usefull out off school and enjoyable social places like youth clubs boxing and other social interaction that doesnt glorify violence -drugs-knifes-guns -gang rape- but installs human interaction respect for others that social media seems to be against as its not proffitable

Last edited:
Nigel Farage is scheduled to make a third visit to the US in little more than two months since he was elected MP, to speak at a dinner for a rightwing thinktank. The Reform UK leader is listed as the main speaker at a benefit event for the Heartland Institute, an Illinois-based organisation which is a denier of human-created climate change. Its president, James Taylor, who is also speaking, has called climate change “a sham”.

The thinktank described Farage as “a leading voice in the fight for freedom and the architect of the new conservative movement in the UK and across Europe”. o_O For another event in Arizona, Farage’s register of interests as an MP showed he has thus far been paid just under £12,000 as a “deposit”.

I'm sure the people of Clacton are happy to see their MP working hard in their interest.

There is another factor involved. What the country can afford to do. Then comes the priories on how much that is available is spent. Blare managed to increase the NHS spend and left it in a better state than it is now. We even had growth. The IMF visited and told him he couldn't afford to do this but that turned out to be incorrect.

Then comes the whoopsies. Banking crisis and covid both external factors rather than domestic. QE money is still kicking about. Neither were good for growth as business wants stability in order to invest.

So the country is currently stuck in a cul-de-sac. High levels of taxatioon when one root to growth is to reduce it. That is the Tory mantra. Well, we can't really reduce it much. Even Hunt's £20b is seen as dubious now. The other point is that the tax reduction idea has failed to achieve anything useful in an increasing number of instances.

I'm sure the people of Clacton are happy to see their MP working hard in their interest.
Serves them right for voting him in ...

What did they think was going to happen? Good ol' Nige, man of the people ;)

Sponsored Links
Back