Anyone on here still pay roaming charges?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Noseall admits to paying to roam when he's on his European skiing trips. 'Nuff said!

I think it’s strange that all the Europhiles on here who love Europe, who salivate over Europe, who visit Europe, who would love to live in Europe, who consider themselves 'Europeans' and who totally embrace Europe, won’t admit to having inclusive EU roaming mobile contracts. Weird or what?

If you can't understand the differences pre and post brexit, is it hard of thinking, or just blind ignorance?

You should remember to stop disclosing that you pay for goods in Euros while giving your location as the U.K. Himmy/Dazzler/Bloomer/Angle Eyes all made the same mistake. You don’t learn from your mistakes, do you? :ROFLMAO:
This may come as a surprise to you, Mottie. I thought you were more worldly-wise, but you exhibit such naivety.
Of course it might be your fallible detective skills that cause the exhibition of such naivety.

When anyone buys goods or services from USA, they are expected to pay in USD.
When anyone buys goods or services from UK, they are expected to pay in GBP.
When anyone buys goods or services from most of the EU countries, they are expected to pay in Euros.
When anyone buys goods or services from Japan, they are expected to pay in JPY.
The same applies to Canada (CAD), Australia (AUD), etc.

There are a few exceptions when suppliers from places like Switzerland, China and other Asian countries will accommodate international trade by providing prices, and accepting payment in one of the major currencies. But that price will usually have been inflated to cover their cost of currency exchange.

None of this is affected by one's actual place of residence or present location, whether that be permanent or temporary residence, or just visiting.

If one has a bank account in one of the countries with which you are trading, it makes sense to pay in the local currency, because your exchange rate will invariably be better than the bank that does the exchange for you, and you will not be expected to pay a service charge.
If you don't have an account in the country with which you are trading, your bank will pay the local currency price, carry out the exchange for you, and charge you a service charge for the privilege.
But you have still paid the bill in the local currency, and your location or country of residence has had no effect whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Now what were you saying about the hard of thinking?

When anyone buys goods or services from most of the EU countries, they are expected to pay in Euros.
Which is what you are doing with your mobile contract. The U.K. is not in the EU so neither can you be. No great detective work needed there. :rolleyes:

No, I'm saying its different now to how it was pre brexit.

Worse, not better.
Worse in the sense that If I was getting my haircut for a tenner from a barbers that was a ten minute walk away and I didn’t like his attitude towards me so I now get my haircut from another barber, also for a tenner but a twelve minute walk away? In other words, the absolute minute extra effort needed for me to feel comfortable with my decision to move barbers isn’t worth worrying or splitting hairs about but you would put that down as a 'worse' in your book. You must have the same 'book' as Himmy that makes a few weeks 8 or 9 weeks when it suits him. Have I got that right?

Which is what you are doing with your mobile contract. The U.K. is not in the EU so neither can you be. No great detective work needed there. :rolleyes:
When you have more than one SIM, it's sensible to have at least one of them on a plan, ideally a sans engagement plan.
This could save difficulty if you ever find yourself without credit on the PAYG SIMs.
Sans engagement plans are becoming more popular in France. It allows freedom to switch for the best offers.
Plans without a contract (forfait sans engagement) are increasingly popular in France; almost all mobile phone providers, big and small, offer at least one sans engagement option. With these plans, the provider will send a SIM card that can be used with an already existing phone - meaning that you will need to have a phone already in order to sign up for a forfait sans engagement.

It is also sensible to have the other SIMS on PAYG agreement so that you're not paying for unused time.
It's just a matter of choice, based on several criteria which you choose to have on a plan, and which you choose to have on PAYG.

Your criteria for choosing which is your personal choice. We don't all make the same choices, nor use the same criteria.
Many EU providers continue to include UK in their roaming criteria, i.e. not time or data limited, nor uncapped roaming charges.
SFR, Orange, Free and Bouygues Telecom all continue to class the UK in the same way as EU countries,

So even UK long term residents can benefit form having a sans engagement French plan, as long as they sometimes use their phone in France.

Last edited:
Its only a part of the deal, and that is more down to competition, than it is to brexit.

Are you trying to claim it's a brexit benefit?
Which is what I’ve said all along. Strange that there’s more competition coming into the market since Brexit, don’t you think?
It illustrates how many people are affected by roaming charges.
Providers would carry out all the necessary analyses before offering the service.
I guess that market share is equally as important as revenue.

And when French suppliers offer inclusive roaming to UK with their French plans, as long as the users spend some time in France, the competition is hot.

I suspect the cheapest UK sans engagement plan is just .05p cheaper than the French equivalent. But it won't include free roaming.

Sponsored Links
Back