Anyone on here still pay roaming charges?

That’s right. As I said, pre Brexit I didn’t think about it, I just paid £10 for 4Gb. Post Brexit I’m paying £8 for 20Gb. That’s not worse in my book. My thinking about it cost me nothing.
Pre brexit I had a sim card (£11/6GB) that not only allowed roaming anywhere in the EU/EEA but also allowed me to call from the UK to anywhere in the EU/EEA...

Unlimited unless you break the 59 minute rule and then it costed a fortune!

Otherwise no worries...

Does yours allow the outgoing calls form the UK to the EU/EEA?

But you see after brexit the outgoing ability was stopped on mine, and I now have to use two sims...

One based in the UK and one based in my partner's country...

Total cost £23...

Admittedly the data limit is higher, but that is all to do with improved infrastructure and would have increased anyway...

So would you say that paying over double for the same effective coverage/capability is a brexit bonus?

Sponsored Links
Pre brexit I had a sim card (£11/6GB) that not only allowed roaming anywhere in the EU/EEA but also allowed me to call from the UK to anywhere in the EU/EEA...

Unlimited unless you break the 59 minute rule and then it costed a fortune!

Otherwise no worries...

But you see after brexit the outgoing ability was stopped on mine, and I now have to use two sims...

One based in the UK and one based in my partner's country...

Total cost £23...

Admittedly the data limit is higher, but that is all to do with improved infrastructure and would have increased anyway...

So would you say that paying over double for the same effective coverage/capability is a brexit bonus?
Mottie doesn't care. ;)

It allows it but it’s chargeable. Can call the U.K. from EU using our unlimited minutes. When we had the place in Spain and had to make regular calls from U.K. to Spain we had a PAYG sim in an old phone back in the U.K.. Pretty sure we paid a penny a minute - Lebara I think it was. I think if you prepaid a fiver and bought a package you got a thousand minutes too. When we first got the place, it was very expensive to call from Spain to U.K. and it was just as expensive to receive calls on a mobile too.

So you didn't go looking for any deal?
Of course I did. I look for a deal when I’m buying anything. Who doesn’t? Only a lazy mug will take what they are given, no questions. Ask Noseall. He gets stuffed for roaming every time he goes skiing in Europe and he freely admits it’s because of his laziness.

Sponsored Links
Correct. No protection but once someone started offering it inclusive to contracts, others followed. If anyone stops offering it, they will lose customers so business drives it and protection not needed.
I think that's the difference.

Roaming is handed out to folk on contracts but for SIM only customers it is often absent.

It allows it but it’s chargeable. Can call the U.K. from EU using our unlimited minutes.
But that's the point about deals getting worse...

I can't find the same options as before, and since we make a lot of calls to the EU/EEA it is thus more expensive post brexit because of the deal that was/wasn't struck.

Roaming is handed out to folk on contracts but for SIM only customers it is often absent.
Actually not quite right. Me and Mrs Mottie are sim only and have been for at least 10 years. We always buy our phones outright. All the other examples I give are sim only too. The MVNO's as a rule, don't sell phones. Sim only is a contract.

I can't find the same options as before, and since we make a lot of calls to the EU/EEA it is thus more expensive post brexit because of the deal that was/wasn't struck.
WhatsApp calls no good for you then? Pretty sure WhatsApp wasn’t about much pre Brexit was it?

Last edited:
But that's the point about deals getting worse...

Use Whats app or Messenger, or Facebook.

Everybody could be telling me that they’ve got two arseholes but until they show me proof, I won’t believe it.
You want proof that the law has changed for the worse on roaming charges?

You want proof that the law has changed for the worse on roaming charges?
No, not the law. I know what the law says. I want proof that getting inclusive roaming is 'difficult' and I’m not talking about 'difficult' in the sense that you have to spend 6.5 seconds typing 'mobile plans with inclusive roaming data' in the search bar because, let’s be honest, that’s not really 'difficult' or 'harder', is it?

No, not the law. I know what the law says. I want proof that getting inclusive roaming is 'difficult' and I’m not talking about 'difficult' in the sense that you have to spend 6.5 seconds typing 'mobile plans with inclusive roaming data' in the search bar because, let’s be honest, that’s not really 'difficult' or 'harder', is it?
It doesnt matter if its difficult or easy.

Before brexit you didnt even have to think about it. Now you do. That's not better.

It doesnt matter if its difficult or easy.

Before brexit you didnt even have to think about it. Now you do. That's not better.
Don’t be daft, there’s nothing wrong with thinking about things, we do it every day. How hard is it? You had to 'think' about what network and mobile plan you wanted or needed before Brexit. It’s no different now. What do you ACTUALLY have to think extra about now?

Sponsored Links
Back