Anyone on here still pay roaming charges?

All roaming charges for temporary roaming were abolished on 15 June 2017 (fair-use rules apply). The tariffs covering the period from 30 April 2016 are maximum surcharges to the price paid in the home network

From your link:
"If you use your mobile phone abroad permanently, for example if you move abroad and keep using your sim card from your home country, your mobile operator may charge you extra for roaming. However, these charges are capped under the fair use policy."
That's reasonable.

As is this:
"This means that your mobile operator may apply fair, reasonable and proportionate control mechanisms to avoid customers abusing the rules."
One can envisage an example of someone taking advantage of the ease if border crossings in the EU, crossing a border with the sole intention of downloading a whole load of stuff.

But the charges are still subject to a cap.

Sponsored Links
EU citizens enjoy data and time unlimited free roaming in the EU member states.

and keep using your sim card from your home country, your mobile operator may charge you extra for roaming
This means that your mobile operator may apply fair, reasonable and proportionate control mechanisms to avoid customers abusing the rules."
So, that’s not unlimited free roaming. Glad we sorted that out.

So, that’s not unlimited free roaming. Glad we sorted that out.
Now you're demonstrating your desperation, and being silly in the process.
You've deliberately excluded the conditioning clauses.

If you move from Essex to Yorkshire, you can't take your water, electric and gas contract with you. Probably because they don't serve that area.
Mobile phones are the same. Why should anyone be allowed to maintain their phone contract with a supplier that doesn't serve that area?
They will allow you to use it for a while, until such time they think you've moved permanently. Then they'll apply some financial motivation for you to change supplier.
If you have bank accounts at various establishments, and you don't have any transactions for about 6 months, you might get a notification that a transaction is required for you to continue with that account. That's normal business practice.

Similarly, I knew someone who needed a serious upgrade to get decent internet speed for his projects. So in the evenings, when the local tourist office had closed, he stood in the doorway to download and upload whatever he needed. That's the kind of abuse of exploiting circumstances that mobile phone companies will. again. apply financial incentives to discourage. That's reasonable.

But the supposed free roaming examples that you're trying to present for UK service providers. lasts just a few weeks, if you're aware of the problem, and you've carefully selected a provider that offers temporary free roaming. But it's still heavily data capped, and the charges, if applied are not capped.
And during your holiday, you'll need to monitor your usage to ensure you don't exceed the limits.

Sponsored Links
But the supposed free roaming examples that you're trying to present for UK service providers. lasts just a few weeks,

O2
If you use our services outside the UK in our Europe Zone for 63 or more days in any four-month period and you can’t demonstrate prevailing use and / or presence in the UK, this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services. In such an event we will notify you and then after two weeks charges will apply

Vodafone
IMG_6636.jpeg
ID mobile

We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time or take an extended trip. However, it is important to remember that if you spend more time abroad than you do in the UK over a 4-month period, we might think you're permanently Roaming. If you do spend more time abroad than in the UK over a 4-month period, we'll have to take the following actions:

1. First, we'll send you a text reminding you of the fair usage policy.
  2. If you don't change your usage behaviour to comply with our policy, we'll also ask you to provide proof that you do still have strong ties to the UK, like a UK bill or bank statement.
  3. If you don't/can't provide any proof of having strong ties to the UK, and you continue to roam more than you use your plan in the UK, we'll have no choice but to apply an additional charge to your EU Roaming usage.
  4. Finally, when this additional charge is applied, we'll send you another text message - to make sure you're aware of the situation, giving you a second chance to stop Roaming to avoid charges.

Etc etc etc They’re all basically the same - I’ll leave you to check further if you feel the need.

Now that I've provided you with evidence, can you please provide me with evidence of this two-week rule you talk about.

Etc etc etc They’re all basically the same - I’ll leave you to check further if you feel the need.

Now that I've provided you with evidence, can you please provide me with evidence of this two-week rule you talk about.
You mean this reference:
But the supposed free roaming examples that you're trying to present for UK service providers. lasts just a few weeks, if you're aware of the problem, and you've carefully selected a provider that offers temporary free roaming. But it's still heavily data capped, and the charges, if applied are not capped.
And during your holiday, you'll need to monitor your usage to ensure you don't exceed the limits.
I said a few weeks, and in my book about 8 - 9weeks is a few weeks.
That information you found is not easily available and is usually buried deep inside the T&Cs.
And there are still the data caps, and the need to closely monitor one's usage to ensure one does not exceed that cap. If you do exceed the data cap, your charges are not capped.

Whereas EU citizens are not limited to such tight timeframes, and any charges incurred are capped.
In EU parlance, the charges are not applied until one has permanently moved from one region to another. And as I explained if you move from Essex to Yorkshire, you can't expect to take your water, electric or gas contract with you, because your supplier does not provide service in that region.

Last edited:
There’s no ‘free' roaming. It’s inclusive roaming. There’s a difference. You’re paying for it.
If roaming is included, you don't pay for it, so it's free.
If it's not included, you do pay for it, so it's not free. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's fair to say that you usually pay slightly more for plans where free roaming is included, but you pay that addition whether you use free roaming or not. And you can only use it for a few weeks in each four month period. If you don't use it at all, you still pay the slightly higher charges.
So whether you call it free or inclusive is pretty much irrelevant.

Whereas EU users pay the same for roaming as though they were using their phones in their 'home' region, until they have permanently moved to a different region where their supplier does not operate. (or they abuse the service).

And if you spend extensive periods or have moved permanently to a different region, and you have a local SIM, and you don't use your 'home' SIM in that region, it is not detected as having been used in a different region. Therefore no charges are applied.
And your 'home' SIM, with any credit (if you're on prepaid or PAYG), is still available for you when you return to your 'home' region. But your 'home' SIM has been 'live' all the time for receiving SMS.

8 or 9 weeks? So a few weeks is actually a few months in your book? FFS, what’s a few months in your book - a year?

IMG_3367.gif

That information you found is not easily available and is usually buried deep inside the T&Cs.
You are claiming it. Show us.
If it's not included, you do pay for it, so it's not free.
If it’s free, you should be able to get it without having to purchase a contract. Can you get free airtime/data without actually purchasing anything? A free cup of tea in a cafe is a free cup of tea if that’s all you have. A cup of tea included in a breakfast is not free, it’s included. Why are you having trouble comprehending that?
And you can only use it for a few weeks in each four month period.
READ. POST. #80

Yes, it's fair to say that you usually pay slightly more for plans where free roaming is included, but you pay that addition whether you use free roaming or not.
So does just about everyone in the U.K. Can you find plans without inclusive data these days?

I think you are starting to confuse yourself now. Best give up, troll.

8 or 9 weeks? So a few weeks is actually a few months in your book? FFS, what’s a few months in your book - a year?
I suggest you talk to ID Mobile about their use of "a few weeks". :rolleyes:
ID mobile
We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time or take an extended trip. However, it is important to remember that if you spend more time abroad than you do in the UK over a 4-month period, we might think you're permanently Roaming. If you do spend more time abroad than in the UK over a 4-month period, we'll have to take the following actions:

You are claiming it. Show us.
If you'd provided us with the links to your source, that would be sufficient.

If it’s free, you should be able to get it without having to purchase a contract. Can you get free airtime/data without actually purchasing anything? A free cup of tea in a cafe is a free cup of tea if that’s all you have. A cup of tea included in a breakfast is not free, it’s included. Why are you having trouble comprehending that?
There are many things included, that are described as free or gratuit.
up to two kids eat breakfast for free if an adult orders the Premier Inn Breakfast!
1721115774834.png

But there's no such thing as a free lunch. :rolleyes:

READ. POST. #80
read Post 82 and 84. :rolleyes:

So does just about everyone in the U.K. Can you find plans without inclusive data these days?
Read post 84.

This is like arguing with a teenager, sorry, troll. The sooner you go, and you will, the better.

This is like arguing with a teenager, sorry, troll. The sooner you go, and you will, the better.
Instead of having a hissy fit, provide the sources of your T&Cs.

Or do I have to do it for you?
1721116559691.png

etc.

To reach this info' required following several pages of T&Cs, and that is with me knowing to look in the T&Cs, and to know what I'm looking for.
Initial page:
1721117323570.png

Then:
1721117372040.png

Then, the 8th paragraph of the (eventually) relevant page of the T&Cs.
1721117516317.png

Last edited:
Instead of having a hissy fit, provide the sources of your T&Cs.

Or do I have to do it for you?
See below. Idiot.
To reach this info' required following several pages of T&Cs, and that is with me knowing to look in the T&Cs, and to know what I'm looking for.
You absolute Pillock. No need to trawl through "several pages of T&C's", just type in "Fair usage policy O2” and you will come up with the first paragraph I posted in post #80.

Have a go for yourself but replace 'O2' with 'Vodafone' then try again with 'ID mobile' then try again with any f'cking airtime provider you like.

63 days in 4 months is not a few weeks in anybody’s book. Absolute trolling idiot.

See below. Idiot.

You absolute Pillock. No need to trawl through "several pages of T&C's", just type in "Fair usage policy O2” and you will come up with the first paragraph I posted in post #80.

Have a go for yourself but replace 'O2' with 'Vodafone' then try again with 'ID mobile' then try again with any f'cking airtime provider you like.

63 days in 4 months is not a few weeks in anybody’s book. Absolute trolling idiot.
Your hissy fit is getting in the way of reason.

The average UK punter probably doesn't even realise about roaming charges until they return from extended visits abroad and get whacked with exorbitant charges.
It's only then do they start looking for free roaming options. but none of the advertised offers explain the T&Cs.
You have to know what to look for, and where, to fully understand it. In the meantime, the service providers are raking it in because the charges are not capped.
EU customers don't need to consider any implications of roaming or charges. They automatically get free roaming. (at the same cost as their 'at home' charges).

So, if you know where to look, and what for, the information is available. But the average punter doesn't read the information buried in the T&Cs

As for "the few weeks", which you're having problems with, I suggest you express your disgust with ID Mobile considering 8-9 weeks as "a few weeks". :rolleyes:

You have to admire mottie for trying to defend the indefensible...

And giving us a good laugh whilst doing it (y)

But you have to wonder why mottie hasn't come up with a single 'brexit benefit', and instead goes on and on about roaming charges being the same as before (according to him), albeit with higher cost/more effort needed...

Oh that's right, there are no brexit benefits...

And like all of the dwindling band of fanatical brexiteers he tries to deflect from the fact that brexit was the biggest political/economic/social suicide note that he and his ilk signed the UK up for!

The average UK punter probably doesn't even realise about roaming charges until they return from extended visits abroad and get whacked with exorbitant charges.
They are probably too busy worrying about the upcoming Y2K bug….
As for "the few weeks", which you're having problems with, I suggest you express your disgust with ID Mobile considering 8-9 weeks as "a few weeks".
It’s only in your book that a few weeks is that many.

Sponsored Links
Back