Considering CU update

Well, there are no zones on the ceiling, but I would not like to run cables like that. Why can't he run the cables conventionally?

As for the cooker on an FCU, what is the load?

A double oven plus microwave sounds like more than 13A.

Sponsored Links
My mistake its actually a single oven with combined 1000w microwave, total load 3kw.

As for the cables, to be honest, i'm not entirely sure why he can't run the cables conventionally and i didn't ask, as I took the explanation on face value about running them under the joists, but it seems risky as someone could put a nail or screw through one.

I've got a 3rd electrician coming next week to quote.

So the first says I need a new cable, second says I don't. Heads or tails with the 3rd..

Last edited:
Are Lewdens Pro consumer units a decent option please, does anyone know? Obviously depends on what the electrician is used to working with, but i don't want to fit bottom end stuff either.

Sponsored Links
They are an option. Pretty much the same price as most other commonly used makes.
Thanks, so much of a much by sounds of it. What would be top tier these days? I don't mind spending extra. Think I'm paying about 180 for the two units bare, so I wouldn't mind say double that if it offered any tangible benefit in quality.

Had another quote, they are recommending a new circuit and NOT wiring into the ring for the oven.

Also they fit "fusebox" consumer units - are these better or worse or same as Lewdens Pro can anyone comment please? Or much of a much these days that it doesn't matter

Made sense to me.

New circuit for oven

That's right.

So electrician #1 was 4.2k for all the work (CU upgrade, spots, sockets, general electrical), including a new 4mm circuit for oven.
#2 was almost half that price, but said we don't need a dedicated circuit for the 3kw oven.
#3 said new circuit be "better", but hasn't quoted because its a difficult thing to work out with running a new cable through joists etc.

I'm probably going to go with #2 as he was very clear in his day rates, possible issues, concerned about over quoting, and also seemed amenable to doing what i ask, which will be for me to re-use and extend an existing 2.5mm circuit which is being made redundant, and having that dedicated to the oven. That was my idea, and i think its a rather a good one.

I am thinking there is little difference between lewdens and "fusebox" as the price seems about the same. I'm not sure why or if the brand of CU would even matter to me, as a consumer..

I see someone had suggested that:

Also for the kitchen he is planning to use the existing cooker circuit/cable for the induction, and put the new cooker (double plus microwave) on a FCU on the ring itself. Seemed like a good solution.

Any thoughts ?

Yes, bad solution.

You have a proper circuit for the cooking appliances; use it.

I would definitely add in a dedicated circuit for the oven while you can then you have flexibility in the future

Yeah, sorry. So there is a 32AMP dedicated circuit already, but we're looking at adding a second dedicated circuit. I think thats the more future proof solution. Electrician number 2 had suggested putting the 3kw oven on the ring. I am not comfortable with that. In fact i'd thought 2kw and above had to be dedicated circuit.

The existing 32AMP is not enough for the hob and cooker combined as its only 4mm, so hence adding a new additional circuit, but that may be 2.5mm but thats enough, as i understand it, for the oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back