Expanded ULEZ

Sponsored Links
Mugs seem happy to pay fines when they could avoid them. Why not take the easy money...

London must be full of the "hard of thinking".

On R5L today, a

- dinner lady, who does 1 hr per day and now can't afford to drive to work (how could she possibly afford to, on 1hr per day, before the ULEZ?)
- a bloke who can afford it, but as he does less than 1000 miles per year, thinks its a pee take (does he even need a car, one has to think?)

As Trans would so eloquently put it,

Jeez us wept............

Not everyone thinks it is a daft idea.
other polls disagree.

What is clear from the polls is that people like the sound of them before they are here and not after.

Council will never win on that footing.

Sponsored Links
The polls are a perfect insight to human nature.

people drive too much, but we don't want the government to force us to change.
people like the sound of the things we are promised, but not the look of the Northern Ireland troubles style road blocks.
who doesn't want cleaner air, less traffic noise etc.
but nobody wants to sit in traffic jams caused by road blocks.

The pandemic has done a great job at delivering the benefits without much cost. pre-pandemic I was 80% office based for the months I worked. Now I can work remotely and can do calls anywhere in the world. I reckon my business mileage has dropped by 80% too.

I fully understand that, for those who suffer health conditions due to exhaust fumes, these changes will be welcome.

However, as usual with our governments, there is a distinct lack of a well thought out, robust strategy around all this environmental stuff that gives the high majority of people a more realistic timeframe to adapt.

I suspect that when central government realises that local government are getting the cash, and central government are saving on NHS, and benefits, central goverment wil have a change of heart and look for a way to get their hands on the cash.

I fully understand that, for those who suffer health conditions due to exhaust fumes, these changes will be welcome.

However, as usual with our governments, there is a distinct lack of a well thought out, robust strategy around all this environmental stuff that gives the high majority of people a more realistic timeframe to adapt.
You think 2030 is too little time to adapt to the Green economy, demanded by Climate Change?

Let us not forget that UK would have been heavily fined by EU for breaching air quality limits in London, persistently and consistently over ten years. They may still be liable for fines.
The UK has “systematically and persistently” broken legal limits on toxic air pollution for a decade, the court of justice of the EU (CJEU) has ruled.

Levels of nitrogen dioxide, mostly from diesel vehicles, remain illegally high in 75% of urban areas and on Thursday the court said the UK had failed to tackle the problem in the shortest possible time, as required by law.

The UK would also have been facing heavy penalties for breaching water pollution levels.
The UK faces fines for breaching EU law on water treatment after plants in northern England and in London dumped raw sewage into waterways.
That is the outcome of a ruling by the European Court of Justice, which has yet to decide what the penalty will be.
Under an EU directive introduced in 1991, Britain was obliged to meet new standards for treating waste water.

Now the government have eased rules and requirements for house builders, relevant to river pullution.

Government relaxes rules on waterway pollution in bid to boost home building​

The government will instead offset the pollution from new developments in a scheme funded by the taxpayer, but the changes have angered environmentalists.

Will the government fund these new treatments needed, and who really pays?

Britain isn't going down the toilet, it is becoming the toilet.

Another Brexit benefit.

Last edited:
On my way home from walking the dog this morning, I saw first hand the good work that had been done by the anti-ULEZ mob to a camera down the lanes. Keep up the good work lads. (y)

IMG_1687.jpeg

IMG_1688.jpeg

You mean a democratically elected Tory government wants a review of a democratically elected Labout Mayor over a policy of protecting the health of Londoners?
Well I'll be blowed!
It's a Mayoral policy that tries to go some way of addressing the shortfall of the air quality requirements of the EU.
A criteria conveniently avoided by Brexit.
So a Brexit benefit - more toxicity in the air, more deaths due to pollution, more disabilities, etc
A typical short-term policy desparately chasing votes.
Brexit again.
You need help!
And of course when the number of vehicles that are ULEZ compliant rises past a certain level then the technology will change to a pay per mile system whatever the vehicle type is!
Of course.
This is what the smug people now laughing at us because their vehicle is compliant do not understand.
They will be hit like the rest of us and then maybe they'll start rebelling.
They're the same as all the himmys who condone child rapists: they only do so because they lack human empathy...
Until it happens to them, maybe.

Brexit again.
Why not?
In the relevance to UK now able to ignore the EU limits on pollution to air and water (and human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law”, which I'll come to in a moment) then Brexit has allowed Britain, and the capitalists, that rely on making money by ignoring environmental concerns, at the risk of health concerns to its citizens. Within the EU UK would not have been able to ignore such environmental pollution, or it would continue to be fined for breaching limits.

In regard to Britain ever rejoining, it won't be easy, maybe not even possible under the current disregard for human dignity, freedom, democracy and the rule of law.
While UK breaks international treaties, imprisons asylum seekers on arrival, creates barriers to free and fair elections, the UK will never "respect the common EU values and is committed to promoting them may apply to become a member of the union” because they won't respect the values of the EU. Which is a pre-requisite for joining the EU.

Sponsored Links
Back