Ford squaring up to UK and EU

Sponsored Links
Yes, BMW has gone really grey, bland and ugly. Sadly on both ICE and EV. Particularly bad on the 7s.

Nah, they come in other colours besides grey... ;)

1720631072555.png

But still but ugly.

I quite like it - except the ridiculous pig's snout of a radiator grille (which, in the case of the electric one, is largely pretend). In fact, the kids call ours "Piggy". From all other angles, though, I think it looks OK?

Sponsored Links
80s and 90s BM styling is best era for me. I would have an 80s 7 series or 6 series. 90s 8 series is good. Some of the earliest 5 series also appeal.

Friend works in a dealership in Somerset. Don't know how she gets any enthusiasm for the bland, modern gash they're churning out these days.

Late 80's M3.

I recall an full-page advert in Golf World, for an M3 convertible.
It became my achievable "dream" car.

(Although not being that arrised about cars, I never set out to get one).

I wonder if the average age of the forumites on here, has a bearing on what shapes they like? It becomes very difficult to separate aesthetics from "fashion". The Sierra "jellymould", when it first came out, wasn't THAT different to quite a few other cars of the period, but I think it was hated simply because it was so different to the "Dagenham dustbin" that it replaced.

The Scorpio, on the other hand... Now that was ugly...

I found '80s BMW saloons to be pretty bland, "meat & 2 veg" in their styling, really. Not ugly, but not beautiful either. Even my own Alfa, which I'm very fond of, looks, I think, quite awkward from some angles.

I wonder if the average age of the forumites on here, has a bearing on what shapes they like? It becomes very difficult to separate aesthetics from "fashion". The Sierra "jellymould", when it first came out, wasn't THAT different to quite a few other cars of the period, but I think it was hated simply because it was so different to the "Dagenham dustbin" that it replaced.

I found '80s BMW saloons to be pretty bland, "meat & 2 veg" in their styling, really. Not ugly, but not beautiful either. Even my own Alfa, which I'm very fond of, looks, I think, quite awkward from some angles.

Whichever way you try to rationalise it though, the grill on that Beemer is shocking.

Was there ever a time when older people didn't moan about newer designs?

Whichever way you try to rationalise it though, the grill on that Beemer is shocking.

Yes, they're all like that these days. As I said, I don't much like it, (and nearly all of it is pointless on an EV), but at least when I'm driving it, I don't have to look at it!

You must have seen the various memes about the current trend with BMW grilles though?

1720691823894.png

Or

1720691893417.png

or

1720691976397.png

Hopefully, just a passing fad...

Was there ever a time when older people didn't moan about newer designs?

No. That's just how the world works... Douglas Adams summed it up nicely:

"1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.

2. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.

3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Almost certainly, after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Because vehicle manufacturers have shareholders to satisfy & an extensive workforce to pay (they) design cars that the marketing dept. perceive will appeal to potential buyers. Fortunately for the manufs. those same buyers are far more gullible than they were back in my day & tend to put fashion ahead of practicality/build quality/longevity & have a greater disposable income with which to satisfy their egos.

I love my BM not only for it's shape/form but also the fact that it was designed by engineers, not accountants.

Sponsored Links
Back