Inheritance tax ...

Sponsored Links
So you don't need to find extra work for them then.

You do understand what a decent wage means?

I'll try not to be rude, because I think, you are really close to getting it. But I may be wrong.

Nobody is saying they should take on extra work. Though in the original example of the Nurse I did show how they could increase their income by 30% by working 2 extra days a month.

In the example of the care worker [and the same applies to someone employed as a cleaner or many similar low paid roles.. The approach is as follows:

A works 35 hours per week as a home help / care worker via agency/employer normally on a flexible hours scheme.
£12 * 35 = £420 a week and just under £22k per year.

A finds 2 private clients and does 2-2.5 hours per week for each. So 5 hours at £18 p/h
now they earn an extra £1,400 or so a year more (allowing for holidays). If they charge £20 even better given that the agency charges £30 minimum

I'll try not to be rude, because I think, you are really close to getting it. But I may be wrong.

Nobody is saying they should take on extra work. Though in the original example of the Nurse I did show how they could increase their income by 30% by working 2 extra days a month.

In the example of the care worker [and the same applies to someone employed as a cleaner or many similar low paid roles.. The approach is as follows:

A works 35 hours per week as a home help / care worker via agency/employer normally on a flexible hours scheme.

A finds 2 private clients and does 2-2.5 hours per week for each. So 5 hours at £18 p/h
now they earn an extra £1,400 or so a year more (allowing for holidays). If they charge £20 even better given that the agency charges £30 minimum
Fantasy land. Probably the yacht varnish.

I like the fantasy that nobody needs to be low paid, they should just earn more money.

how about we stop giving multi-millionaire pensioners tax concessions, and tell them if they're feeling a bit short, they should just go out and earn some more money.

Sponsored Links
I like the fantasy that nobody needs to be low paid, they should just earn more money.

how about we stop giving multi-millionaire pensioners tax concessions, and tell them if they're feeling a bit short, they should just go out and earn some more money.
well thats kinda what they do. Just like 90% of the population

You think people struggling don’t already work extra jobs?

In the real world people have children or elderly parents or disabled to look after.

Early retirement has been used extensively in the past. It allows younger people to move up in the ranks. It's also been used to loose people rather than make them redundant. In some ways it's an option that makes sense. Personally I feel it's a subject people need to think about what ever pension scheme they are in. It's not a cheap option.

Doctors. I had a nose operation some years ago, Thanks to changes the way the NHS is paid a load of people who needed the same work doing were bought in to a ward timed to meet payment deadlines. The surgeon used normally only directly did private work. Early 60s. There could easily have been a younger person around equally capable of doing the work. Going on business use of early retirement mid 50's or so it's just a problem of managing staff flow.

You think people struggling don’t already work extra jobs?

In the real world people have children or elderly parents or disabled to look after.
and nothing in my proposal involves anyone working extra hours..

The issue is do you:

- Increase the minimum wage with all the downsides that brings
- Invest in helping people realise their potential.

Surely the goal is to get more people earning above the minimum so that they can have more and pay more taxes.

But some of this upfront give-away will be recouped later, as the people saving more in a pension in response to the reform will pay more tax on their pension income in future.
One of the points I wanted to make. The link includes suggestions about bringing it back. There are also comments about NHS staff behaviour.

What will Labour choose to do - bring it back but in what over all way? Starmer says he doesn't mind people being rich but it has to said he does have an interest in methods of avoiding tax.

The issue is do you:

- Increase the minimum wage with all the downsides that brings
- Invest in helping people realise their potential.

You missed out:

- reduce the cost of living: for instance, by increasing the available housing stock, and therefore reducing / removing housings' attractive level of return-on-investment.

One of the points I wanted to make. The link includes suggestions about bringing it back. There are also comments about NHS staff behaviour.

What will Labour choose to do - bring it back but in what over all way? Starmer says he doesn't mind people being rich but it has to said he does have an interest in methods of avoiding tax.
The original Labour LTA with inflation would mean the cap would be about £2.5M today.. thats probably an index linked pension of about £60k or £80k with some risk. A typical senior public sector employee would have a similar defined benefits pension. To be fair it was the Conservatives that squeezed it and made its stupidly complex. Hunt probably went to far the other way in trying to fix it.

You missed out:

- reduce the cost of living: for instance, by increasing the available housing stock, and therefore reducing / removing housings' attractive level of return-on-investment.
I think that is almost impossible to do. Not the building houses bit, but the reducing the cost of living.

If you look at countries with lower cost of living, its because they have less state cost burden on the citizen.

If it was simply about housing affordability we'd all be living in Staffordshire and Leeds.

Sponsored Links
Back