Inheritance tax ...

Sponsored Links
It wont save a penny when people stop saving in their pensions and choose to burn through the pot sooner and rely on the the state to support them, when they run out.

If a couple of pensioners can't live on £60,000+ per year, before having to touch their savings, then they are welcome to burn through it all and rely on state benefits. Living on pension credit will be quite a shock, though. The words nose, face and spite spring to mind.

Last edited:
Though in the original example of the Nurse I did show how they could increase their income by 30% by working 2 extra days a month.
The one I know works 12hr rotational shifts and has strict limits on doing extras. As far as I know this may be normal in hospitals. She works in child A&E. Other areas may allow more variation?

Actually with a child on the way she might choose to drop a shift. Some do for a variety of reasons.. Coming from manufacture I see that shift pastern as a bit unusual but a 3 shift/day system would need more nurses. With that people can usually work a fixed shift. Better fit to life and people might stay in it longer.

In the example of the care worker
Strange world in care homes. They tend to have varying numbers of staff around throughout the day. All care homes tend to need these extras at the same time.

Call at home carers. They have times when they need to call as well. My mother's was provided by a private company, one of the carers was within walking distance. She did get odd visits from a carer who worked for the council. Odd ones at no particular time of the day - more to see how things were going. :) She pointed out that they unlike the others do get holidays - I'll add a uniform as well.

- Increase the minimum wage with all the downsides that brings
- Invest in helping people realise their potential.
Labour appear to have aims to change both of those including a min wage increase. Something the Tory do as well. Difference - the intent to make it cost of living based. NLW maybe? Well that is used aged over 21. I suspect they may change that to 18. An early analysis of change to NLW

Productivity has it's interesting factors. If market size doesn't grow the numbers of jobs reduce. Sometimes it's hard to justify the cost of increasing productivity due to that aspect.

The latest Tory change, 16hrs moved to 18 to qualify for support? Excuse - 16hrs has become a lifestyle choice. Ideal reason for some of their supporters. Is it really as easy as that for the people concerned and the employers?

Sponsored Links
You think people struggling don’t already work extra jobs?
35 hour week rarely means that. My (low paid) missus is in work before 8 and and she's still not home now*. She'll likely have open her lap-top for an hour when she gets in, too.

To say moron MBK is fúckíng clueless is a catastrophic understatement.

*Edit: she got in at 5:35pm

Last edited:
Do you ever stop bleating on about decent wage decent wage decent wage.

HERE'S THE REALITY, HERE'S THE FACT...

Not everyone in society earns a decent wage. Has always been that way and will continue to be so.

We can discuss/debate/argue all day long about the rights and wrongs, however it's a fact.
No. It never always used to be that way.

There has always been and will always be a divide between wealth and income levels.

But wages used to be enough to live on.

Nobody is saying they should take on extra work. Though in the original example of the Nurse I did show how they could increase their income by 30% by working 2 extra days a month.
Let's keep this simple.

is that extra work, or isn't it?

For MBK​

12-hour nursing shifts:

This is the most demanding nursing shift, yet it is also the most popular. Many employers prefer this pattern of shift as they will have staff available round-the-clock to provide care for the patients. Most of the nurses also prefer this pattern, as it allows them more time off each week. This shift pattern can mostly be seen in care facilities where 24-hour care is provided, such as assisted living homes, hospitals, and urgent care centres. 

7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Why do nurses in the UK prefer 12-hour shifts?
1. Shortened work week: Nurses working this shift will work three days a week and have four days off. This will be beneficial for nurses who have a long commute, as it can be appealing and translate into fewer hours on the road. Moreover, those who require child care will also prefer this option.
2. Work-life balance: You will have a full four days off a week to spend with your family and run other personal errands.
3. Flexibility: Nurses can cluster shifts together in order to have longer chunks of time off, giving them more time to do things like relax, spend time with friends, and so on.
Though this working pattern might seem appealing, it definitely has its own pitfalls, such as constant exhaustion, emotional damage, and health risks, which can't be overlooked

It seems they could do similar with 8hr shifts. The hours are as close as they can be for the standard NHS working week - 37.5hrs. The one I know can do an extra shift but there are limitations on when related to the rota and free time. The rota in her case is a switch between the 2 times. The NHS does pay overtime rates.

Number 2 is "great" if just done a night shift. Maybe also consider the fact that they are short staffed and just have to cope as a result.

35 hour week rarely means that. My (low paid) missus is in work before 8 and and she's still not home now*. She'll likely have open her lap-top for an hour when she gets in, too.

To say moron MBK is fúckíng clueless is a catastrophic understatement.

*Edit: she got in at 5:35pm
I hope you had her dinner ready for her.

So what, jealous?
The UK has a serious problem with wealth inequality

It is so serious that the UK has far lower living standards for the majority of its population compared to many other countries

The primary factor is asset distribution.

1) the govt flogged all its assets to private businesses, so asset value gain benefits shareholders not the general public….the result is public services keep costing more and you get less and less for it

2) property ownership is being transferred from workers to the wealthy, the evidence is home ownership rates are dropping.

I own my home I’m very lucky, but unlike you I think about other people suffering increasing levels of poverty.

The UK has a serious problem with wealth inequality

The primary factor is asset distribution.

I own my home I’m very lucky, but unlike you I think about other people suffering increasing levels of poverty.
in a nutshell, its this

No they don’t the wealthy buy more assets

Assets earn them income without working

Do you mean Like stocks? Just because they don't use a screwdriver or a shovel, doesn't mean they aren't working.
The one I know works 12hr rotational shifts and has strict limits on doing extras. As far as I know this may be normal in hospitals. She works in child A&E. Other areas may allow more variation?

Actually with a child on the way she might choose to drop a shift. Some do for a variety of reasons.. Coming from manufacture I see that shift pastern as a bit unusual but a 3 shift/day system would need more nurses. With that people can usually work a fixed shift. Better fit to life and people might stay in it longer.

Strange world in care homes. They tend to have varying numbers of staff around throughout the day. All care homes tend to need these extras at the same time.

Call at home carers. They have times when they need to call as well. My mother's was provided by a private company, one of the carers was within walking distance. She did get odd visits from a carer who worked for the council. Odd ones at no particular time of the day - more to see how things were going. :) She pointed out that they unlike the others do get holidays - I'll add a uniform as well.
and the margin is around 100% gross (60% net). By comparison, most management and IT consultants make a net margin of 25-40% and the Legal profession is 30-35%. But some here can't see that creates an opportunity for low paid people.

It is so serious that the UK has far lower living standards for the majority of its population compared to many other countries

IMG_3367.gif

So, out of the 195 countries in the world, where would you rank the U.K.?

Sponsored Links
Back