Israel under attack

I lived on a Kibbutz for about 9 months, In the North on the edge of the Golan Heights. Spent some time travelling around, mainly down into the Sinai while it was still an occupied territory, then worked in a bar in Tel Aviv to earn some money for a flight home.

Beautiful country, and beautiful resilient people.
Where was yours?

I was at Ayelet HaShahar and also Beit She'an

Do you remember the volunteer p*ss ups at Kiryat Shimona square?

Sponsored Links
Actually those on Masada committed suicide just before the Romans got there via an earth ramp...

Did you take the wimp way out and use the cable car?

Personally I climbed up there in August!
Sorry... of course your right. Not all committed suicide those that didn't were allowed to live as slaves.

I did take the wimps way It was so hot. Fascinating story and place. Will watch the film one Sunday afternoon.

I was there about 10th July so didn't miss each other by much.

I did take the wimps way It was so hot. Fascinating story and place.
Yep, very hot...

But I was younger and fitter at the time :)

Thing is the dead sea is now a couple of km away from where it was then.

We slept on the beach, and even then there were armed Israeli police patrolling all night...

Nothing changes in that respect!

Sponsored Links
Anyway, i think that Iran are totally behind the hamas incursions into Israel...

If it can be proven, look out Iran!!
I think Iran is in a totally different league to Iraq.
Action against Iran will stir up nigh on another global war. It would certainly involve most of the Middle East, Europe, USA, and Russia.
China will take advantage of the chaos and look out Taiwan and possibly Philipines as well. North Korea will try and get in the action also.

It's in my head that Iran *MUST* be involved, which makes this a very dangerous time.
Of course they're involved but it might be simply the supply of arms.
When you're offered arms to use against your oppressors why would you not use them.

I agree, so it's a dictatorship (y)
No It's an Israeli military occupation.
You may have a different opinion than the Red Cross, UN, various human rights groups and legal scholars, but I prefer their opinion over someone on a social media website.

For the third time:
The International Committee of the Red Cross considers the blockade illegal and says it violates the Geneva Convention, a charge Israeli officials deny. The U.N., various human rights groups and legal scholars, citing the blockade, consider Gaza to still be under military occupation by Israel.

Where was yours?

I was at Ayelet HaShahar and also Beit She'an

Do you remember the volunteer p*ss ups at Kiryat Shimona square?

I don't remember any do's at Kiryat Shimona square. I did go to 3 or 4 parties at Ayelet Hashahar, we got to know a few volunteers there, got on well and got the party invites, we were on Kibbutz Gadot which is literally next door to Ayelet, in fact, apart from one occasion when we borrowed a tractor and trailer, we used to walk there, must have been an hour or two walk across the cotton fields. Gadot was quite small, less than 500 people, Ayelet was a couple of thousand people if I recall correctly.

Happy days.

I was there through much of 1976 and left the kibbutz in Jan or Feb 1977. Several of us headed south and into the Sinai, our aim was to get right down to Ras Mohammed on the southern tip, the approach to Ras Mohammed was a narrow track marked by rocks, minefields either side. There we swam over the coral and watched the nearby sharks. Then onto the Monastery of Santa Catarina at the base of Mount Sinai, climbed Sinai through the night to watch the sunrise, a sight I'll never forget.

One bizarre memory is driving down the coast of the Sinai, we stopped overnight sleeping on the beach at Dahab, an uninhabited wasteland in those days, the next overnight stop we drove into a bay and out of the Desert wasteland there was a mile long concrete promenade with ornamental streetlamps along the length, and at the far end were the shells of two half built hotels, quite eerie. There was a shack halfway along the beach with a guy selling beer and giving diving lessons, apart from a couple of Bedouin he was the only living soul we saw there, the place was called Sharm El Sheik.

I think Iran is in a totally different league to Iraq.
Action against Iran will stir up nigh on another global war. It would certainly involve most of the Middle East, Europe, USA, and Russia.
China will take advantage of the chaos and look out Taiwan and possibly Philipines as well. North Korea will try and get in the action also.
There is no realistic model of Israel surviving a hot war with Iran, they have of course both been fighting a proxy war since 1979.

If Iran gets dragged into this, either because that is their intention, or some other leaderships desire, then the US have to get involved. And then the rest of the world can start worrying . . . .

Of course they're involved but it might be simply the supply of arms.
When you're offered arms to use against your oppressors why would you not use them.
I think you know as much about middle east politics as you do about human biology.

Nowt.

There is no realistic model of Israel surviving a hot war with Iran, they have of course both been fighting a proxy war since 1979.

If Iran gets dragged into this, either because that is their intention, or some other leaderships desire, then the US have to get involved. And then the rest of the world can start worrying . . . .
That's what I said.

Israel's response at the moment is quite measured, possibly even restrained. The phone lines between Israel, US and Saudi will be red hot at the moment, Iran is becoming a very serious problem and probably the biggest stumbling block to any form of peace in the Middle East.

If anyone thinks a peaceful resolution can be found with Hamas, just read their manifesto.

The Hamas Covenant or Hamas Charter, formally known in English as the Covenant of the Islamic Resistance Movement, was originally issued on 18 August 1988 and outlines the founding identity, stand, and aims of Hamas (the Islamic Resistance Movement).[1] A new charter was issued by Hamas leader Khaled Mashal on 1 May 2017 in Doha.[2]

The original Charter identified Hamas as the Muslim Brotherhood in Palestine and declares its members to be Muslims who "fear God and raise the banner of Jihad in the face of the oppressors." The charter states that "our struggle against the Jews is very great and very serious" and calls for the eventual creation of an Islamic state in Palestine, in place of Israel and the Palestinian Territories,[3] and the obliteration or dissolution of Israel.[4][5] It emphasizes the importance of jihad, stating in article 13, "There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through Jihad. Initiatives, proposals and international conferences are all a waste of time and vain endeavors."[6] The charter also states that Hamas is humanistic, and tolerant of other religions as long as they "stop disputing the sovereignty of Islam in this region".[7] The Charter adds that "renouncing any part of Palestine means renouncing part of the religion [of Islam]".[1] The original charter was criticized for its violent language against all Jews, which some commentators characterized as incitement to genocide.[8]
[9]

It's been modified a couple of times since, some of the language has been softened, but it still calls for the destruction of Israel.
Ain't no negotiating with that.

Sponsored Links
Back