i'm probably more english than im ;)

Sponsored Links
ger on the A689 and stop at the caravans marra

american he he who is that tool
my missus is doyle
i was born in hartlepool

i'm probably more english than im ;)

And that's something to be proud of???!!!................ :LOL: :LOL:
I'd keep that to yourself fella, just say you're a Mick or a Jock if the Yanks ask! Mind you there's not many Yanks in a Whitley Bay Caravan Site?

OK, I've had a bit of a think about the OPs problem.

If the problem is that the DHW coil isn't of sufficient capacity, even after descaling, then I have a plan.

Under high DHW flow rates, when the DHW coil isn't performing adequately, the PHE will top up the heat and maintain DHW temperature under full flow rates. Under light DHW flows, then the PHE doesn't do anything.
Preferably, the flow switch should be an adjustable type so that it can turn on the pump only when there's enough DHW flow to require the extra capacity of the PHE.

Ideally both primary circuit connections should be direct to store and not shared with anything else. The return would need to be a new connection (Essex Flange ?), you would probably get away with sharing the flow with either the heating or boiler loop connections.

It should cost less to install than replacing the thermal store with an unvented cylinder, and it avoids the downsides of an unvented cylinder.

Also, returning to the original post and pictures, I'd like to see a diagram of how that's plumbed up. It's hard to see from the photos, but I can't help thinking the stat could be much better positioned for efficiency.

Sponsored Links
OK, I've had a bit of a think about the OPs problem.

If the problem is that the DHW coil isn't of sufficient capacity, even after descaling, then I have a plan.

Under high DHW flow rates, when the DHW coil isn't performing adequately, the PHE will top up the heat and maintain DHW temperature under full flow rates. Under light DHW flows, then the PHE doesn't do anything.
Preferably, the flow switch should be an adjustable type so that it can turn on the pump only when there's enough DHW flow to require the extra capacity of the PHE.

Ideally both primary circuit connections should be direct to store and not shared with anything else. The return would need to be a new connection (Essex Flange ?), you would probably get away with sharing the flow with either the heating or boiler loop connections.

It should cost less to install than replacing the thermal store with an unvented cylinder, and it avoids the downsides of an unvented cylinder.

Also, returning to the original post and pictures, I'd like to see a diagram of how that's plumbed up. It's hard to see from the photos, but I can't help thinking the stat could be much better positioned for efficiency.

You are using the coil as a pre-heat. That will solved the problem and be cheaper than any unvented cylinder. The flow switch must be set to high flow rates to assist the coil when its capacity can't handle higher flow rates.

There is s better way if some pipes can be separated. Use the coil for all the low flow everyday taps, like kitchen, basin, etc.

Use the plate only for the showers and baths.

Then the pump only comes in for high flows and reduces electricity use. That is having two independent DHW take offs.

Dr Drivel still posting and replying to himself :LOL:

Strange they are never logged in to the site at the same time :rolleyes:

Another Cowboy! Do you have some suggestion to solve the problem? I thought so, NO. A waste of time. You do not understand.

Hey!

Sorry but I never knew this thread was still going! I usually get emails to tell me when there has been a reply and didn't get any so thought the thread had died out. So my apologies for not replying.

And thanks to Simon for his pm, it was very kind.

I've also been distracted as the work on my loft conversion has been progressing quickly.

I'm really quite worried now as in the loft there will be another two beds both with en suite showers. If my planning permission gets granted I'll also be extending on the first floor to make another en suite.

So my system at present can't cope with the 2 showers it has, how on earth will it cope with another 3?? Though of course they'll never all be running at the same time.

Simon, I'm so grateful for the time you've taken to try and come up with solutions for me but I'm not quite sure how to use them. I'm a layman and only have a basic grasp of what is going on. Unless I can find a local plumber who has expertise with TS who is prepared to try all this then I'm stuck.

There is also pressure of time because my loft conversion is progressing rapidly and if I don't get this sorted out soon it will be far disruptive and costly once it is done.

I really feel as though I should just rip it out and install a Mega Flo.

Can somebody please answer the following question, it's the really important one.

If I didn't mind the cost, would installing a Mega Flo resolve my issues? Would I be able to run 2 or even 3 showers at the same time and have hot water instantly?

Also at present with my system I get mains pressure hot water, would this still be the case with a mega flo including to the loft ensuites (the unvented cylinder would remain in the loft)

Many thanks

If I didn't mind the cost, would installing a Mega Flo resolve my issues? Would I be able to run 2 or even 3 showers at the same time and have hot water instantly?

Yes, possibly, BUT (and it is a big but, a Dawn French amongst buts)

with mains pressure (both TS and Mega Flo unvented) you are dependent on Thames Water for both the flow rate and the pressure of the water supply. You will often have generous pressure and flow rate at the water mains, but the original mains service pipe and riser would have been 1/2" and was not sized for 3 simultaneous showers. You'd very probably have to renew the pipe in 20 or 25mm, back to the street, unless it has already been done. A competent plumber could tell you what work needs doing.

Thames Water have also been reducing the supply pressure to the minimum to reduce wastage through leaking mains. There is no guarantee that they won't reduce the available pressure in the future.

I think the TS/TB vs. unvented is very border line here, but as Mr Onetap said, you will need to up the size of the water main - I might even go a step further and say is you want 3 or 4 simultaneous draw offs then a size bigger is not out of the question. OSO will supply you a cylinder with 28mm inlet and outlet, as will another firm - who's name escapes me.

Sorry but I never knew this thread was still going! I usually get emails to tell me when there has been a reply and didn't get any so thought the thread had died out. So my apologies for not replying.
Been there, got the tee shirt, etc :rolleyes:
So my system at present can't cope with the 2 showers it has, how on earth will it cope with another 3?? Though of course they'll never all be running at the same time.
That depends on what's wrong with it - and what sort of showers they are.

If all it needs is descaling, then the answer may be yes. If it's under specced even when clean, then no.
Simon, I'm so grateful for the time you've taken to try and come up with solutions for me but I'm not quite sure how to use them. I'm a layman and only have a basic grasp of what is going on. Unless I can find a local plumber who has expertise with TS who is prepared to try all this then I'm stuck.
Well you've seen here what "a typical plumber" thinks of something as "complicated" as a thermal store. Real plumbers do exist, but I suspect you'll struggle to find one. BTW - in case there was any confusion, I too am a layman and only do plumbing on a DIY basis.
I really feel as though I should just rip it out and install a Mega Flo.

Can somebody please answer the following question, it's the really important one.

Also at present with my system I get mains pressure hot water, would this still be the case with a mega flo including to the loft ensuites (the unvented cylinder would remain in the loft)
Yes, replacing the store with an unvented cylinder is an option. Yes you will still get main pressure hot water. Yes you will still get "instant" hot water (well as long as it takes to get through the pipes if they have gone cold).

Unvented cylinders have their own issues. There is a reason for the strict regulations around them - multiple safety devices, and a recommendation for annual servicing. That's because without all the redundant safety devices, they are exceedingly dangerous. In other countries (the US is one) where the regs are less strict, they do have incidents where water heaters (as they call them in the US) explode. This isn't just "it splits and dumps hot water", this is "it fails and dumps superheated water/steam explosively". Such steam can cook the flesh of people and animals in a matter of seconds.

These videos show what happens if all the safety devices fail (or in the case have been nobbled). The first is one done just in the open, the second was done to see if the heater could punch through a house.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWmONHipVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0

Over here we have strict regs which mean such incidents are virtually impossible. There are two separate pressure control devices, and two separate temperature control devices. The pressure relief valve will prevent excess pressure buildup, and the requirement for two temperature limits* means that you can't superheat** the water.
* There's a temperature sensitive dump valve, and you aren't allowed uncontrolled heat sources. So the sources should not be able to heat the cylinder above 82˚C, and if they do, then the dump valve will let hot water out.
** In this context, superheated means above 100˚C. You can heat pressurised water above that, but should the tank fail then the water will instantly flash off into steam as it's above the boiling point at atmospheric pressure.

Lest I am accused of imbalance, other systems aren't without their problems. Open vented cylinders can be boiled if heating controls fail, or incorrect system design can result on pumping over into the F&E tank. There have been incidents of the F&E tank giving way, dumping hot water through a (typically) bedroom ceiling - hence regs on construction and support of F&E tanks.

But as Onetap says - ultimately your limit will be what you get out of the supply pipe. If that isn't sufficient then you'll either have to accept lower flow rates/pressures; or have a large storage/header tank, open vented cylinder, and booster pump(s); or an unvented cylinder and booster pumps (if flow is OK, but pressure low); or ...

This is where finding someone who properly understands the trade, rather than someone who just assembles pipes and stuff, will really pay off. They'll know what your local supply situation is (and/or be capable of measuring it), and be able to assess which of the many options would be best for your particular situation.

There have been unvented cylinder explosions in the is country. As the install base gets larger and older, and neglected - how many get them serviced each year, and how many are serviced properly? - they will start to fail and we will see the explosions seen in the USA and the Continent.

Another Cowboy! Do you have some suggestion to solve the problem? I thought so, NO. A waste of time. You do not understand.

I understand enough to laugh at your mental state to have to keep posting and replying to yourself under your different ego's. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back