Mega Flo vs Thermal store

To those reading this thread, do not take any notice of the idiotic Cowboys who post twaddle.

Will the Mods please deal with them. They do not post anything relating to the thread topics. They are nuisance value only.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

If it makes my question easier or more black and white I have already had the mains feed pipe to my house uprated, I'm pretty sure to 25mm.

When my old plumber fitted the TS and re fitted all the pipes he suggested I uprate this pipe. It was quite a job as he needed to hire in some piece if kit to dig on the front drive. The old lead piping was chucked out. He said he would have to charge me over and above the additional quote to do this but recommended it to ensure adequate water pressure.

Given the above, does this help in answering whether a Mega flo would be the answer to my prayers :D

Simon's suggestion, or mine, would be the better option. Cheaper for sure.

Given the above, does this help in answering whether a Mega flo would be the answer to my prayers :D

That's what I'd do, subect to a satisfactory check on the mains pressure and flow rate. Also ensure the route for the discharge pipework to ground level is confirmed. The temperature relief valve can discharge very hot water and putting it into plastic gutters or onto a flat roof is not a good idea. Also, external shiney metal pipework can attract the scrap thieves.

Sponsored Links

That's what I'd do, subect to a satisfactory check on the mains pressure and flow rate. Also ensure the route for the discharge pipework to ground level is confirmed. The temperature relief valve can discharge very hot water and putting it into plastic gutters or onto a flat roof is not a good idea. Also, external shiney metal pipework can attract the scrap thieves.

The cost on inferior unvented cylinder is way over the cost of adapting the thermal store, which will outperform the unvented cylinder. Not mention the explosion potential.

JonasX, are you Dr Drivel ?

As I had not seen him for a while I thought that the dementia had become so bad that he could not even log in any more!

Jonas i think it would be useful if you read my recent post (and others) where I have stated cost is not a problem, I just want resolution of the problem.

Therefore to be helpful in answering my question you must exclude any cost issue from your response. In other words assume it does not matter if the Mega Flo would cost more than adapting the TS, all I'm asking is.....

Would the Mega Flo resolve my issue and let me use at least two showers at the same time and have piping hot water?

Thanks again to all

If your dynamic mains flow rate is adequate to supply both showers together then an unvented cylinder will supply two showers.

Of course the capacity of the cylinder would neeed to be taken into account according to the length of showers required.

A 300 li cylinder will supply two 10 li/min showers for 15 minutes. Slightly more in practice because some cold blending will be needed and some reheating will be added.

Tony

PS No, I havent not read all 10 pages to see if any measurements have been made of the dynamic flow rate or shower consumption. I rarely see anyone quoting them on forums. Few even understanding the measurements needed.

If your dynamic mains flow rate is adequate to supply both showers together then an unvented cylinder will supply two showers.

Of course the capacity of the cylinder would neeed to be taken into account according to the length of showers required.

A 300 li cylinder will supply two 10 li/min showers for 15 minutes. Slightly more in practice because some cold blending will be needed and some reheating will be added.

Tony

PS No, I havent not read all 10 pages to see if any measurements have been made of the dynamic flow rate or shower consumption. I rarely see anyone quoting them on forums. Few even understanding the measurements needed.

Thanks Agile. in the example you have given what happens after 15 minutes of the two showers running? Does the water then go completely cold? How long would I have to wait to then have another shower?

PS, I have a WB 30cdi conventional boiler, if that makes any difference?

Thanks again for your help

I don't blame you, of the ten pages, about 9 of them are a mix of the old arguments about legionella, personal insults accusing myself and JonasX being some chap called Drivel, and the usual arguments from self-styled experts proclaiming that it's 100% impossible for a thermal store to work.

And no, available flow rates are not mentioned.
Thanks Agile. in the example you have given what happens after 15 minutes of the two showers running? Does the water then go completely cold? How long would I have to wait to then have another shower?

PS, I have a WB 30cdi conventional boiler, if that makes any difference?
At some point the water will go cold. It probably won't go completely cold in an instant, but it will go cold. It depends on the heat transfer capacity of the reheat coil which will limit the amount of heat that can be put into the tank - while you draw out hot water from the top. Also, because of the way reheat works, it's not like the thermal store where as long as it's set up right, you'll keep hot water at the top even if the overall heat content is dropping.

The primary difference is this.

In your thermal store, it's heated top-down at up to the full capacity of the boiler. The design of the DHW coil sets the limit at which you can remove heat from the store, and the outlet will start to lower in temperature as the overall thermal content of the store reduces. If set up right, the boiler will continue to keep the top of the store hot, but at reducing flow rate as the bottom of the store cools down - the DHW temperature is a function of temperature difference and flow rate - so at the reducing differentials lower in the store, the overall heat transfer will reduce but there will be no abrupt change. If you were to draw off heat for long enough, the system would stabilise with heat output matching heat input from the boiler. Reducing the draw off rate will result in an almost immediate increase in draw off temperature since the top of the store is still going to be hot and the transit time of the DHW through the heating coil would be increased and allow for more heat transfer.

In a hot water cylinder (whether vented or unvented), reheat is by a coil near the bottom of the store. This heats the water around it, and this hot water convects around the cylinder. In still water this will result in some top-down heating, but largely it is "bulk heating" where the whole store is heating at once. Once you've drawn off all the hot water, you will then have cold or lukewarm water - and again if you keep drawing off water the system would stabilise at a temperature where the heat drawn off in hot water would balance the heat put in by the heating coil. Reducing draw off rate will not result in an immediate increase in draw off temperature as the whole cylinder has to heat up.
Many of us remember the days when reheat times could be hours and so if someone used up the water for a bath, then you would have to wait a while until there was enough water for the next bath. Modern cylinders are now much better, with high efficiency coils and hence faster reheat times. However, having a (very quick) look around, the capacity of the reheat coil doesn't seem to be mentioned much - even those offering a high capacity coil for quick reheat don't seem to give any figures.

What I can say from experience is this ... without the boiler running, a traditional open vent cylinder goes cold quite abruptly as I've found out while showering after the boiler has tripped :eek:

The heat transfer often tends to be misunderstood.

Not helped because cylinder manufacturers like to use a high boiler temperature to indicate a faster reheat time. Thats contrary to the best boiler efficiency settings.

My view is that the cylinder is best sized to supply the HW needs and the boiler is best set for a flow temperature of 65 C at which it will condense well and can be expected to have reheated the cylinder within an hour.

What does NOT happen is for the full boiler output to be absorbed by the cylinder!

Tony

In my view there is no point in any of these discussions unless the dynamic flow rate has first been measured.

This is so basic!

And saddening that so few who install cylinders even understand what it is!

Tony

Thanks Simon.

If what you say is correct then the Mega Flo is hardly the solution to anything is it? Ok so it will allow me to to have two showers running at the same time but only for 15 minutes and then the water goes tepid. That means at that point I won't even get piping hot water at the tap.

Rather than ripping out this system and spending money on a Mega Flo wouldn't a more practical solution be to just install good quality electrical 10 kW power showers in my two new loft rooms and the new first floor en suite?(pp pending)

It doesn't solve all my issues because the two existing showers and one bath are still all fed from the TS but at least all future showers will have instant, endless and powerful hot water?

Thanks again

In my view there is no point in any of these discussions unless the dynamic flow rate has first been measured.

This is so basic!

And saddening that so few who install cylinders even understand what it is!

Tony

Tony, could you please tell me how to measure the dynamic flow rate?

Thanks

Thanks Simon.

Rather than ripping out this system and spending money on a Mega Flo wouldn't a more practical solution be to just install good quality electrical 10 kW power showers in my two new loft rooms and the new first floor en suite?(pp pending)

Thanks again

You dont understand that 10 kW gives you about 4 litres per minute and that is hardly comparable with the 10 li/min from the cylinder.

Of course if you want to enjoy a 4 li/min shower then you can do that for 75 minutes from the 300 li cylinder!

If the boiler is reheating then it will give you that flow rate for ever!

Search for measuring dynamic flow rates.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back