motorways and roof bars

anyway the highway code is well out of date with current car technology, 90mph on a motorway is a more appropriate speed for modern cars.

Sponsored Links
anyway the highway code is well out of date with current car technology, 90mph on a motorway is a more appropriate speed for modern cars.

Damn sure that comment will smooth things over on this thread.......... :LOL:

Quite right, a modern car can travel at 90mph and more with impunity....but is the average driver capable of driving at these speeds? I would hazard that a very significant proportion of the UK population - perhaps in excess of 50% - hails from the Planet Lardarse and divide their time between gazing through 3 types of glass: a TV screen, a PC monitor & vehicle windscreen. What a wonderful environment to develop those lightning-quick reactions?

Most these folk, myself included, have had no professional instruction since pre-driving test days. Without any additonal training is it not simply insane to be encouraging these types of speeds to be pursued? It is not the ability of the car that's in question here, it's that of whoever sits behind the wheel.

people drive at whatever speed they are comfortable with, whether that be joe 90 lane hogging at bang on 70mph, or people doing 90mph in the 3rd lane, so just by upping the speed limit doesn't mean that people will change their habits and start going faster. the speed limit is a maximum, not a must do speed

chainsaw you might not have had extra tuition but you do gain experience

Sponsored Links
I don't lane hog. The M1 is like a wagon train of endless trucks. I overtake one after the other, but I don't see why I should be reviled for observing the speed limit. If the limit is wrong - then lobby your MP. The reality is that as fuel becomes scarcer the speed limit will actually be lowered as it was in the USA during the 70s.

I don't lane hog. The M1 is like a wagon train of endless trucks. I overtake one after the other, but I don't see why I should be reviled for observing the speed limit.
Usually I would agree with this, because I also have a principle of not speeding.

However, you're not being as pragmatic as I know you're capable of being, and there is a safety issue here.

If the rest of the motorway car traffic is speeding, then there are times when it's less dangerous for you to speed (slightly) than to drive at no more than 70mph. This is why I often drive at around 78mph on a motorway - it just helps things run more smoothly, and I've passed countless police cars at this speed and have been roundly ignored by them.

Also, when overtaking, it's often necessary to briefly exceed the limit in order to avoid inconveniencing other drivers. The police that I've spoken to (on a motorcycle training course) claim to understand this and don't penalise people who do it.

If the limit is wrong - then lobby your MP.
I agree wholeheatedly with this.

The reality is that as fuel becomes scarcer the speed limit will actually be lowered as it was in the USA during the 70s.
And this.

If you drive at an indicated 70mph on your speedo, then you're not actually doing anywhere near 70.

Put your satnav on and see the difference. I had the same argument with plod on the side of the road once: reckoned I was speeding, said no, was doing 72mph with the cruise control on, had road angel and satnav both running to confirm that. He reckoned I was doing 79 - which I agreed with based on the speedo. He tried to tell me his was calibrated, but went quiet when I asked to see his calibration certificate.

The only time that gps speed is slightly less accurate is on steep hills, but, for the general inclines that main routes have in this country, it's far more accurate than the vehicle speedo (proper calibrated plod ones excepted).

And, no doubt to your chagrin, Joe, I didn't get done, not even a producer :).

Joe-90 Wrote:
I don't lane hog.
I think you do and you have said you do on many posts on this subject ... You have claimed repeatedly to sit in the middle lane at 70mph refusing to pull over because of ...

A wagon train of endless trucks.
Which only appears in Joe World I'm afraid and is simply an excuse for drivers with your mindset to justify their stubborn actions.

People finally have your measure on this subject though which is refreshing.

MW

people drive at whatever speed they are comfortable with...
Yeah...like they're comfortable driving whilst clutching a mobile phone or stuffing a burger or smoking a fag or....fill in here whatever crass activity comes to mind.

so just by upping the speed limit doesn't mean that people will change their habits and start going faster. the speed limit is a maximum, not a must do speed
On the contrary, it is their habits that need to change, irrespective of the prevailing speed limit. The speed limit may be a maximum, but how many drivers does one see failing to adhere to it. Raising the limit does not just allow competent drivers to go with greater haste but the legions of gormless f*ckwits (OK, so it's a tautology) that beseige our roads also.

chainsaw you might not have had extra tuition but you do gain experience
Well actually I haven't so far had any extra tuition, but this June I am doing one of those track days at Heyford Park (care of Mrs Masochist). That tail out & opposite lock is so essential these days. ;)

Joe-90 Wrote:
I don't lane hog.
I think you do and you have said you do on many posts on this subject ... You have claimed repeatedly to sit in the middle lane at 70mph refusing to pull over because of ...

A wagon train of endless trucks.
Which only appears in Joe World I'm afraid and is simply an excuse for drivers with your mindset to justify their stubborn actions.

People finally have your measure on this subject though which is refreshing.

MW

You don't drive the M1 thru the midlands then. It's just one truck after another.

chainsaw_masochist";p="893512 said:
Well actually I haven't so far had any extra tuition, but this June I am doing one of those track days at Heyford Park (care of Mrs Masochist). That tail out & opposite lock is so essential these days. ;)

Nice one, you'll have a mega day out, what are you driving there???

You don't drive the M1 thru the midlands then. It's just one truck after another.
Get real, it is nothing like that.
Cars tailgating because some tool hogging the middle lane is more the norm.

The outside lane is for idiots to speed in.

The outside lane is for idiots to speed in.
So ... Not really expert in the highway code Joe :rolleyes:

It seems you view motorways as the Joe lane flanked by a lane either side which are of no use to you whatsoever.

And as for your endless truck scenario ... Pure Joe World I'm afraid.

MW

Sponsored Links
Back