No doubt hate crime on the rise.

Not at all.

Genuinely interested to read what the guidelines are for this, I've looked but can't find anything to support the claim.
So you are suggesting they were wrong to class it as a hate crime when there was no evidence that it was?

The idea behind these guidelines seems to be to give high priority to the investigation of potential hate crimes. That's hardly necessary in a case like this!
No indeed. The Murderer(s) are hardly going to get extra time added to their life sentences.

Sponsored Links
So you are suggesting they were wrong to class it as a hate crime when there was no evidence that it was?
No, I'm suggesting the devil is usually in the detail and it would be good to see that. It might clear things up instantly by explaining the process.

The idea behind these guidelines seems to be to give high priority to the investigation of potential hate crimes. That's hardly necessary in a case like this!
I did find something which mentioned recommendations from the Stephen Lawrence inquiry and how hate crimes should be recorded accurately so things like the numbers could be monitored.

It might not affect the sentence but still important that it is recorded correctly I would have thought.

Sponsored Links
see quotes in original post and also the one above.

No evidence that its a hate crime, but they are recording it as such anyway.

It's either a hate crime (an aggravating factor, attracting a tougher sentence) or it isn't. The idea is to stop hate crime, not collect things as hate crime that aren't.

They were recording incidents of misogyny as hate crime, but not misandry, until they were educated.

To do one without the other is a hate crime against men. - You see how silly it gets?

For now at least. Still be interesting to know why.
From the post by Mrs D. i'd say the Met are initially reporting it as a Hate Crime under current guidelines and will review the evidence as fresh information comes to light.

No indeed. The Murderer(s) are hardly going to get extra time added to their life sentences.

I did find something which mentioned recommendations from the Stephen Lawrence inquiry and how hate crimes should be recorded accurately so things like the numbers could be monitored.

It might not affect the sentence but still important that it is recorded correctly I would have thought.

I've been reading that if someone reports an offence as a hate crime then the police must start an investigation within seven days (rather than just ignoring it!). So, being reported as a hate crime seems to give a crime a higher priority in the investigation phase, as well as the sentencing phase and the monitoring aspect.

But doesn't someone have to report it as hate crime in the first place? Who might that someone be in this instance?

This is simple data management stuff, no need to make it the work of the woke Illuminati. You flag all possible and filter down in a consistent manner.

So any violent crime against one of the specified groups is automatically recorded initially as a hate crime?

So any violent crime against one of the specified groups is automatically recorded initially as a hate crime?
No, but if someone says they think it's a hate crime then it gets marked up and investigated to see if it is or not.

The police were having too many hate crimes being ignored because officers were applying too high a threshold, or were themselves Racist/Sexist/etc. so guidance was updated to make sure nothing slipped through.

You understand that is the whole point of the thread?

Police say there is no evidence of a homophobic motive. But are recording it as a hate crime anyway.

Hence hate crimes are likely to be on the rise.

In the reporting at least

Sponsored Links
Back