Plumbers/heating engineers- is this standard? (Value of scrap) (Ed.)

I think once in 25 years someone has asked to retain anything from one of my jobs.

If you wanted it you should have asked to it and made it clear from the start - you are certainly an exception to the norm.

My quotes allow to remove ALL waste from site and everything you describe is waste.

Sponsored Links
Well without wishing to take this off onto a tangent, we've done a lot of research before taking the plunge. Plenty of people have them installed and will rebut pretty much everything you say about running costs (our gas boiler was expensive so I fully expect this to be similar cost wise in the winter months), and we are well aware of the differences (slow and steady) which is one of the main selling points for us. Not saying we are not apprehensive though, and I guess you concern comes from a well intentioned place rather than being intentionally patronising
I find heat geeks and Urban plumbers YouTube channels really interesting on ASHP…..those channels make it clear the problems with ASHP is the lack of knowledge in this country in system design / installation, not the technology. It seems even poorly insulated houses can work with it well.

I had a new gas boiler earlier this year and got a system with hot water priority and weather compensation. The flow temps are always pretty low, usually between 30 and 40 degrees, it’s a really comfortable heat.

I am sure you will be really pleased with your system

Did you specify what they could or could not take?

In my estimates I state that the cost incorporates the removal of metals and rubbish. And that this will be either recycled or disposed of with responsibility. I also have my waste carriers licence printed at the header of the estimate.
However recycling materials such as cardboard will be left for the local authority bin collection.

You really should have stated before you got the quote/estimate that these items remain in you possession.

This of course could have affected the price you received.
The boot is on the other foot. Your property must not be removed unless it is in the contract to do so. I is theft and therefore an arrestable offence.
The tradesmen should have sought permission from the owner of those goods, one way would be to state clearly in the contract (i.e. the estimate) .
I remember a few years back a local "Quick Fit" asking if I wanted them to dispose of my o;d exhaust when they fitted a new one. they informed me they had been instructed to ask each customer and of course each customer and of course each customer replied yes please.
Apparently one customer had taken them to court and it ended up in them having to pay up plus various costs so they informed me.
As an electrician I always asked customers if they wanted me to remove rubbish but if was intending to remove anything to be sold as scrap or might be useable for themselves or someone then I would specifically ask about each item.

I once took exception at an opticians, got my new glasses (spectacles) , tried them, the tweaked them etc , all well and good then as I came to leave I could not find my existing glasses, the chap told me they had thrown them in the bin, I told them they had no right to steal or damage my property and to return them immediately, they replied I did not need them them because I now had new ones. That got me angry, I told them I would decide whether or not I wanted to keep them (I did as a back up spare just in case) and insisted that they return them immediately. Ho I was furious, what right had they to do that? None, the cheeky gits, I did let them see me check them for damage when they returned them.
I could not believe they actually did that without prior consent, what an uncivilised rabble they were!
The cheeky Bar Stewards

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
pure and simple its the customers property and permission should be sought before removing it saying on an quote all rubbish removed doesnt cover it .
Really simple when quoting you just say to cust do you want me to get rid of everything or do you want to keep anything then go from there

I'm guessing the OP wanted most of the rubbish removing, but not all ?

Not sure if the Tradesmen were mind readers. Surely a quick word would have been appropriate ?

99% plus of my customers would be ****ed off if I left boilers, pumps, rads etc at their property.

If things are relatively new I ask if they want them put ti one side. Occasionally they save a shower pump or towel rail for a relative.

Customers who want to ebay old taps, pumps, boilers etc are usually a red flag to me. I generally indicates future issues.

No reputable plumber is going to be refitting your Magnaclean or pump - it's junk

If anybody takes anything out of another person's home without permission, it is definitely theft.
More rubbish.
See legislation.gov.uk for details on Theft Act 1968.
This is an extract that people with 3 or more neurons working will understand:

1. Basic definition of theft.

(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

(2)It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit.

2. “Dishonestly”

(1)A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest—

(a)if he appropriates the property in the belief that he has in law the right to deprive the other of it, on behalf of himself or of a third person; or

(b)if he appropriates the property in the belief that he would have the other’s consent if the other knew of the appropriation and the circumstances of it.

That's why you don't leave metal appliances in your front garden.
The metal collector will not be deemed to have acted dishonestly because they simply need to state that they believed the appliance to having been discarded.
Same for the op's junk parts.
Differently if the op has specifically asked to retain his junk parts, which he didn't.

That's why you don't leave metal appliances in your front garden.

So, you believe it would be absolutely fine, for you to walk in my front gate, and help yourself to anything you might fancy, which was left in the open? I don't, it would be trespass, and theft, unless my permission was agreed beforehand.

Likewise, if I had a skip out front. The property in it, either belongs to me, or the skip company - anyone else attempting to relieve anything from it, it is theft.

When I had my boiler replaced, I asked them to leave the old one. It was a Potterton profile and I had recently (within 9 months) fitted a new PCB, a plastic bottom cover and the heat control knob. I sold those bits on eBay and got over a hundred quid for them.

Sponsored Links
Back