Raw deal for the young?

"The UK has now delivered 15 million vaccinations and ministers say the UK is on track to meet its pledge of offering a vaccine to everyone in the top four priority groups by Monday.

A small number of the 15 million to receive a jab will have been outside these priority groups.

The number of first doses administered each day has been steadily climbing since December - with a current seven-day average of more than 435,000."
(per day, they mean)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

_116950141_optimised-vax_trajectory14feb-nc.png

three million in a week, and rising

Not bad.

Sponsored Links
In that case - I'm probably making a fuss about nothing.. I hadn't realised we were making such progress.

Progress has been much more rapid than even the planners anticipated, due to the efforts of all involved in the NHS and the many volunteers.

One of my major concerns, especially with the younger generation, is that with vaccinations, they will dispense with those other vitally important measures, which will lead to a new emergence of a pandemic.

Baby boomers did something similar when they were the younger generation. Common venereal diseases became easily treatable, and proper use of the contractive pill, and legalised abortion, reduced the number of shotgun weddings and backstreet abortionists.

It's a national emergency affecting the whole population. Its tiresome to keep hearing of all these groups bleating their selfish "what about us" pleas. Everyone should just STFU until its all sorted for everyone.
I broadly agree with this, however I do think it's right to have a priority list of those to receive the vaccine.

OT (although there's some correlation) but during and after Brexit I got slightly fed up with the younger generation (and politicians who jumped on the 'youth' bandwagon) saying things like 'I'm 16 and didn't want Brexit, however I wasn't given a vote and it's my generation that will be left to clear up any mess!'

Emmm, for one, ALL generations (18+) are entitled to vote and have an opinion. Two, people in their 30s, 40s and 50's still potentially have decades of life ahead of them, and they've contributed to the 'system' in terms of paying tax, NI etc. Yes you're entitled to an opinion as the younger generation, however the world doesn't revolve around you.

So, back on topic, no I don't think youngsters are getting a raw deal around any of this, it is what it is. Of course there are side debates about increased mental health issues that are of course important and should be addressed, however you don't resolve matters in the whole by therefore saying 'we should lessen the rules for younger people' who, as I touched on before, can still pass covid on.

Sponsored Links
Baby boomers did something similar when they were the younger generation. Common venereal diseases became easily treatable, and proper use of the contractive pill, and legalised abortion, reduced the number of shotgun weddings and backstreet abortionists.

The generation before them went to war, lots died. Before that, just about all the 18-40s went to war, and generation of men and boys died. The young uns will survive, and the ones that don't subsequently thrive probably wouldn't have anyway, covid or no covid. Not dismissive, more showing confidence in them.

So, back on topic, no I don't think youngsters are getting a raw deal around any of this, it is what it is. Of course there are side debates about increased mental health issues that are of course important and should be addressed, however you don't resolve matters in the whole by therefore saying 'we should lessen the rules for younger people' who, as I touched on before, can still pass covid on.

How come just the 'snowflake' generations have mental issues. We are all suffering in our various ways from the lockdown, the elderly probably more than most - the thing is, they just get on with their lives as they always do.

Emmm, for one, ALL generations (18+) are entitled to vote and have an opinion. Two, people in their 30s, 40s and 50's still potentially have decades of life ahead of them, and they've contributed to the 'system' in terms of paying tax, NI etc. Yes you're entitled to an opinion as the younger generation, however the world doesn't revolve around you.

I worked 50 years, helping to build this country to what it is today, the post war shortages recovering from the war, paying tax, NI etc.. - perhaps my vote ought to be worth more?

How come just the 'snowflake' generations have mental issues. We are all suffering in our various ways from the lockdown, the elderly probably more than most - the thing is, they just get on with their lives as they always do.

I worked 50 years, helping to build this country to what it is today, the post war shortages recovering from the war, paying tax, NI etc.. - perhaps my vote ought to be worth more?
This is what frustrated me, in some of the debate it was almost as if the views and opinions of those aged <25 mattered most. I get the fact they are the ones that will be on the planet longer than older generations, however we all contribute, work etc (well, most of us!) and as you say it can be asserted they've yet to do so, so whilst their views count, the weight shouldn't necessarily be as great as they desire. As we all were when younger, they're largely unburdened by things in adulthood that can change views and opinions whether desired or required.

I guess it comes down to effectively deny the young of a foreign summer holiday or save more vulnerable groups of society. Bit of a no brainer.

"The UK has now delivered 15 million vaccinations and ministers say the UK is on track to meet its pledge of offering a vaccine to everyone in the top four priority groups by Monday.

The number of first doses administered each day has been steadily climbing since December - with a current seven-day average of more than 435,000."
(per day, they mean) three million in a week, and rising

Not bad.

Blimey - a U.K. praising post from JohnD. Not bad yourself! (y)

someone 20 has another 50 years to travel, someone 60 only has another 10.

Anyway, someone 20 should be out working not swanning about on holiday, and if they are not working how can they afford it? I didn't get my first foreign holiday until my mid 30s - had a mortgage to pay off.

i feel really really sorry for the young
since the 70s houses have stopped being an essential place to live but a progressively more aggressive way to bribe the voters with right to buy and by very restricted building social housing [nil to next to nil built]along with policies to encourage house inflation as an investment rather than throttling investment demand with buy to let being refused or highly restricted and first time buyers being encourage with fantastic enticements--- or not a chance as it happens

the latest madness was freeing pension pots and allowing it to be invested again in buy to let housing as the only really safe option
its happened under all governments over the last 50 years as politically there are far more votes in the affluent voters who profit from house price hikes rather than those left behind with an average wage who cant get social housing or buy there own house as the market is overinflated by perhaps 65% through manipulation for profit:oops:

Last edited:
I guess it comes down to effectively deny the young of a foreign summer holiday or save more vulnerable groups of society. Bit of a no brainer.
Much of society seems to be literally obsessed with 'getting abroad.' We've all witnessed it e.g. at work, folk that seem to incessantly talk about the holiday they're due to go on or have just come back from. Okay, whatever floats your boat, however much of the farcicalness we've seen over the past year or so makes me laugh. Folk disgusted cause they were advised not to go abroad, going abroad anyway, then moaning if the rules changed whilst they were away meaning they had to rush back. Or booking when they knew it maybe wasn't the wisest thing to do, then moaning when struggling to get a refund.

'How dare a global pandemic disrupt my annual 10 day jaunt to somewhere sunny!!!'

DEAL WITH IT!!!

someone 20 has another 50 years to travel, someone 60 only has another 10.

Anyway, someone 20 should be out working not swanning about on holiday, and if they are not working how can they afford it? I didn't get my first foreign holiday until my mid 30s - had a mortgage to pay off.
Because we've created a society where the expectation is we should all be able to do everything we want when we want regardless of circumstance. I've personally known people that would book holidays before paying their rent, then plead poverty to the local authority/landlord. OT but it's like all these folk, may of them young, you see driving £30k+ cars. Most aren't on traditional finance, they're leased, low/no deposit, not bad monthly payments etc.

Put money aside for a rainy day? Pay things that are required first? F**k that, let's SPEND!!!

disclaimer: I know many in society are genuinely living in poverty and can't book holidays, buy cars or anything. I don't need a lecture ;)

Sponsored Links
Back