Raw deal for the young?

Why should everyone expect to own a house??Anymore than a big car...etc...
its not a right, its just that people are now getting stuck in the renting trap -where rentals are higher than mortgage repayments.

and yes I know home ownership has always been a struggle, but these days its more a struggle than ever

Sponsored Links
its not a right, its just that people are now getting stuck in the renting trap -where rentals are higher than mortgage repayments.

and yes I know home ownership has always been a struggle, but these days its more a struggle than ever
Cannot see how...in 1980s i paid more in rent than mortgage then...and 15% interest rates..we obsess over ownership in this country

free University education for me
Only owed my folks a couple of hundred on graduation.
bought my first place for 2.5x my salary
mortgage interest was 7%
A graduate would need to be on £60k to mortgage that flat now.

Sponsored Links
we obsess over ownership in this country
Simply because renting in the UK equals being exploited!

Plenty of countries in Europe have far ranging rights/protections for long term renters.

Which is why the tories have always hated the 'European social model'...

Can't let the serfs achieve a reasonable lifestyle whilst they and their chums make/steal their fortunes!

Plenty of countries in Europe have far ranging rights/protections for long term renters.

Can't let the serfs achieve a reasonable lifestyle whilst they and their chums make/steal their fortunes!
Nout to do with that..just simple Mkt forces...Mr Tinfoil hat.

More renters...not obsessed with ownership .Do you blame the Tories for your piles?

I agree, depending on your income and where you live, getting on the property ladder might be nigh on impossible. However for many it is possible if they're prepared to draw in the purse-strings for x years to save the deposit. This is the step many aren't prepared to do, they want their holidays, cars etc. Most of us can't do it all, suck it up.

Yep - they want it all right now.

Perhaps true in some cases, but I don't think that is generally true - everyone has to make a profit.

It's cheaper to own than to rent, for many reasons - There are fewer people involved in being an owner, owners tend to take better care of their own property than someone else's property and often will do their own minor repairs (at least). An owner renting out has all those costs to cover, plus takes a risk of having a bad tenant, plus using an agency.

I think that largely depends on the property type and location. I have a friend who rents out a flat locally. He bought it about 12 years ago and I can say the monthly rent charged has increased but only by a few tenners i.e. £410ish a month to something like £440ish a month now. So he's hardly raking it in. Whereas yes I agree, the rental charges in some areas are nothing short of ridiculous.

I think more people in the UK, predominantly younger gens and possibly caused in part by struggling to get deposit together etc, are starting to look at renting as a long term option rather than buying property. As you say other countries are more slanted towards rental however in the UK the mantra still seems very much 'An Englishman's home ...'

Sponsored Links
Back