Tactical voting

But if there was PR, then just maybe there would be more choice because some political parties might decide to put forward their actual views rather than say what might gain them the most seats...
LOL In your dreams maybe. Sometimes there is agreement between elected parties. Often there is a common thread when the party in power changes. Eg Blare - top jobs have to move out of London. Some have. Brown - need to spend money on infra structure - well they have.

Has to be said in terms of investment covid, brexit and Truss have had an effect. A comment that has cropped up on here. The conservative party is the radical party. It's not a bad description but add try something, find it doesn't work so switch to something else and guess what that may not work. Labour's idea in this area especially for business is to offer the money men stability. It has gone down well. The other point about current Tory MP views- they can be poles apart. It leaks out. Years ago this did not happen. Too big a mix of radicals.

Sponsored Links
LOL In your dreams maybe. Sometimes there is agreement between elected parties. Often there is a common thread when the party in power changes. Eg Blare - top jobs have to move out of London. Some have. Brown - need to spend money on infra structure - well they have.

Has to be said in terms of investment covid, brexit and Truss have had an effect. A comment that has cropped up on here. The conservative party is the radical party. It's not a bad description but add try something, find it doesn't work so switch to something else and guess what that may not work. Labour's idea in this area especially for business is to offer the money men stability. It has gone down well. The other point about current Tory MP views- they can be poles apart. It leaks out. Years ago this did not happen. Too big a mix of radicals.
Personal I think we have had two parties in the Tory government - the right wing and the centrists, neither share a common ground hence government has for the last ten years been only coming together for elections then carrying on the war from the backbenches. I could argue that this is a good thing, prevents monumental shifts in ideology, each faction watering down the madness of the other, in reality its just left the reputation mangers to sit in the middle and basically lie to us that all is well whilst government has failed in the background.

If anything the last ten years has shown that we actually have a three party state, two in government and one in opposition. Probably a good idea to swap that around, if starmer does get a huge majority then excellent, the left wing of the will be reduced to a student pressure group as virtually all of the labour candidates are centrists.

I just think it would be nice to have a single party in power and go from there.

And before anybody asks , there are 27 candidates from the left of the labour party standing..not even enough to call an early day motion. or table a question, as this is done by the number of signatures. the one with the most wins. Starmer has done a good job in chucking out momentum and the other screamers.

What difference would ten seats make in the next Parliament?
More of a difference than one, to be sure.
I don't hear anyone else from the main parties committing to environmental projects that are much needed and overdue. Starmer's a sellout and whoever takes over the Tories will have their hands full fighting off the Reformers in and out of their own party.

Sponsored Links
ten times zero is still zero.
Caroline Lucas is stepping down from her perch in Brighton, where Labour are expected to take back control. The Greens have a good chance of making a mark in Bristol and a few gains elsewhere around the country. These are all projections based on polling, remember, so nothing's certain til voting day...hopefully, most of 'em won't be at a festival or going to Ibiza.

James Ratcliffe, multibillionaire industrialist (Ineos), who has some sort of hobby interest in Manchester, and a Labour voter, was on Bloomberg.
He didn't sound very enthused about Starmer. Intelligent and honest (I think it was).

I'll let anyone interested dig it out, but I'm often impressed by how someone who runs complex companies and makes profit sees through the elephants in the room of a company, and sorts it. Please can we get them (Stewart Rose is another) to train ministers?
The minusters and wannabe's I've heard recently have been rather obviously, very wrapped up in blame culture. You can't manage anything from there. And they've shown no competence to Minister anything.

You have to do unpopular stuff, radical stuff. Tories (was it?) sold off the Water companies to the French who are sucking money out and not reinvesting. Oh dear. Wring hands. Suck teeth? The Yanks had the same trouble, so they passed laws to change it. The owners objected, but it was the law, so that was that. Not saying they're perfect of course, cf fracking problems.

Ratcliffe - immigration's unsustainable, as are rivers problem, the energy problem, and many others.

Me - Accommodating these wrong things is not an acceptable policy.
You can get something wrong, OK, but it's not OK to stay wrong.
You do not make them better by throwing money at them.
Strategic changes needed. Get on with it, but while you're doing it, make the sure poor don't disproportionately suffer like they usually do.

--
Edit
Thinking back for those who had a rep for getting things done, I looked up Heseltine. Interesting - quite a long read on Wikipedia.

Starmer's a sellout
Same as being realistic A point they have made several times.

The greens are targetting a number of seat coming 1st and 2nd in some according to polls They don't expect to win. Left wing taxation ideas - tax will go up. Nuke - at last not as bad as it was - for some anyway.

Reform much the same but a magic money tree. They don't expect to win either.

Don't expect to win may actually cause people to vote for them. On the other hand what happens if they do?

Tory - well they have a big problem. Far too much of their usual mantra and the plan is working claims which it clearly hasn't. I don't think there has been a centrist within their MPs for rather a long time,

Same as being realistic A point they have made several times.

The greens are targetting a number of seat coming 1st and 2nd in some according to polls They don't expect to win. Left wing taxation ideas - tax will go up. Nuke - at last not as bad as it was - for some anyway.

Reform much the same but a magic money tree. They don't expect to win either.

Don't expect to win may actually cause people to vote for them. On the other hand what happens if they do?

Tory - well they have a big problem. Far too much of their usual mantra and the plan is working claims which it clearly hasn't. I don't think there has been a centrist within their MPs for rather a long time,

I'd say it's more a case of Labour being pragmatic; saying the right things and telling the right people what they want to hear. 'Change' is the rehashed slogan from 2019, and the Tories and LibDems have just looked into the recent past and tweaked an old slogan for this election - so what's actually changing? Only the electoral map, as far as i can see: there's going to be a lot more red than blue on July 5th. Apart from that, not much. Fresh faces saying the same things, over and over.

Ironically, the country has its lowest-ever ranking in the global corruption index; but an annual study of graft by Transparency International shows public confidence in political institutions has hit international lows. Keir Starmer is hoping to instill a new Ethics and Integrity Commission in an attempt to pull together Westminster’s confusing web of standards regulators into one powerful body that can hold them to account - although Tony Blair pitched his landslide 1997 campaign as an antidote to years of Conservative scandal, for example, claiming his party would be “purer than pure”, and in 2010, David Cameron promised major transparency and governance reforms as a scandal featuring lawmakers claiming wild, taxpayer-funded expenses tanked public trust.

Blair’s mandate was soon tested by his own cash-for-access scandals and after leaving government he cursed himself as a “naive, foolish irresponsible nincompoop” for having introduced the U.K.’s pioneering Freedom of Information Act in the first place. Cameron did improve public access to government data, tightening procurement rules, and unveiling Britain’s first-ever register of lobbying but was then overshadowed by his own post-government involvement in a major lobbying scandal. The lobbying register he once touted has been so derided that lobbyists themselves have asked for tougher rules to prevent politicians from sullying their industry’s reputation.

Any fool can make sweeping promises of change while in opposition, (you only have to read Reform's manifesto to see that) but it's taking the chance to enact real legislative change that always ends up being watered down once in office. Starmer will fall in to the same trap as Blair by listening to too many voices without knowing his own mind and allowing himself to be decided by the loudest one in the room. I don't see this election changing a damn thing.

This tactical voting approach looks interesting...

As I understand it, it doesn't favor any particular party, is based on trust, and would lead to parliament being more representative of what voters actually vote for:

This tactical voting approach looks interesting...

As I understand it, it doesn't favor any particular party, is based on trust, and would lead to parliament being more representative of what voters actually vote for:

So your approached by a Reform voter who agrees to vote labour if you vote Reform in your constituency, all based on trust. Hmmm

So your approached by a Reform voter who agrees to vote labour if you vote Reform in your constituency, all based on trust. Hmmm
...yes you're right if course - it would be wise to engage your common sense in the process, and make choices, or change your choices thoughtfully. I've not looked deeply into it, but they do address these kinds of questions on their website - maybe have a look?

It's becoming clear the only way de Piffle's Tories found such a large majority at the previous election was due to Ukip not campaigning in Tory target seats. This time the unofficial truce is over and they're taking votes away from them. Alongside more 'wets' voting for the LibDems, it's going to be carnage.

Sponsored Links
Back