Tactical voting

You used to be all for paying more tax...

I am. My contribution to the thread is for the people who assume that Labour aren’t going to fleece them.

Recent interviews of Labour have revealed that they plan a major increase of the use of the private healthcare sector and don’t like answering questions about Council Tax

Sponsored Links
James Ratcliffe, multibillionaire industrialist (Ineos), who has some sort of hobby interest in Manchester, and a Labour voter, was on Bloomberg.
He didn't sound very enthused about Starmer. Intelligent and honest (I think it was).

I'll let anyone interested dig it out, but I'm often impressed by how someone who runs complex companies and makes profit sees through the elephants in the room of a company, and sorts it. Please can we get them (Stewart Rose is another) to train ministers?
The minusters and wannabe's I've heard recently have been rather obviously, very wrapped up in blame culture. You can't manage anything from there. And they've shown no competence to Minister anything.

You have to do unpopular stuff, radical stuff. Tories (was it?) sold off the Water companies to the French who are sucking money out and not reinvesting. Oh dear. Wring hands. Suck teeth? The Yanks had the same trouble, so they passed laws to change it. The owners objected, but it was the law, so that was that. Not saying they're perfect of course, cf fracking problems.

Ratcliffe - immigration's unsustainable, as are rivers problem, the energy problem, and many others.

Me - Accommodating these wrong things is not an acceptable policy.
You can get something wrong, OK, but it's not OK to stay wrong.
You do not make them better by throwing money at them.
Strategic changes needed. Get on with it, but while you're doing it, make the sure poor don't disproportionately suffer like they usually do.

--
Edit
Thinking back for those who had a rep for getting things done, I looked up Heseltine. Interesting - quite a long read on Wikipedia.
Its probably too late, politics now is about populism, not thought through long term economic strategies (and it never was completely that) . Ratty and Rosey would be disastrous as political mentors, they are only good at making profit and cutting costs. Politics is slightly more than that. Think of brexhit and covid.

Its probably too late, politics now is about populism, not thought through long term economic strategies (and it never was completely that) . Ratty and Rosey would be disastrous as political mentors, they are only good at making profit and cutting costs. Politics is slightly more than that. Think of brexhit and covid.
Those aren't the briefs for running a company. You have to get stuff working, and within the rules, efficiently. That would make decent start for the NHS...

Farridge must be running Waitrose. Ocados shares have dropped 13% in the last hour. That's huge. Must be trouble at'mill

5 mns later, 14.5% down. Good job I'm not long in Artisan Guacomole

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
...yes you're right if course - it would be wise to engage your common sense in the process, and make choices, or change your choices thoughtfully. I've not looked deeply into it, but they do address these kinds of questions on their website - maybe have a look?
I wouldn't think it's even worth the time to read it

Recent interviews of Labour have revealed that they plan a major increase of the use of the private healthcare sector and don’t like answering questions about Council Tax
Some increase in the use of spare capacity in the private health sector. Why - timescales to changing the NHS and available cash. They also intend to increase hours when NHS care is available. That will be slower than immediate solutions if those actually exist and fact is they don't. Numbers of people doing the work also figures.

The private health system already does some work for the NHS that would normally be done in an NHS hospital. In one case they appear to have set up units that just do one particular type of operation and nothing else.

Councils have the same problem as some other areas do. Eg water. Price increases capped irrespective of need and not surprisingly when more is needed the increase is steep. Equal pay hasn't helped. Currently they are being asked for ideas on increasing efficiency. You expect Labour to stop that? So in some cases councils ask for specific increases - surprise surprise the gov grants them if they offer a fix to some extent short of perfection. There is nothing else they can do who ever is in.

C4 did a run down on Starmer's history yesterday. One period gives him clear ideas about what not to do when departments are cut. Another gives him years of experiance of meetings with very senior civil servants and the usual party meetings. All this from an ex civil rights lawyer. He even knows what goes on there. Conclusion - he can be very aggressive if needed. One person interviewed said that if he wants to climb to the top of the political greasy pole he will need to be. Many of the comments came from Tory people. Is Richi a strong leader that keeps his party in line?

Labour also do have some new ideas. Tory - previous attempts come out that didn't work last time they tried them. They will also be trying a different form of supply side economics. Both the Tory and other countries indicate this could well be a good idea as one aspect of the usual idea just doesn't always work out. It relates to business taxation. Us? Well it still depends on what the country can afford. Some aspects of that are already locked in due to long term policy,

An instance of a problem all councils are having. It was let out of the bag in an unfortunate way but believe it's been forgiven

It is unlikely to be the only budget having this problem but is a significant one.

Apparently opinion polls are banned in some countries during an election ????

They were talking about it today

Some opinion polls are way off

One publicised by one mob gives the Tory’s 55 seats ???? Another gives them 155 seats

They were saying that opinion polls can stop people from bothering to vote ? Labour so far ahead ? In the polls why bother to go out and vote for them ?

And vice Versa ???? With the tories ect ect

Those aren't the briefs for running a company. You have to get stuff working, and within the rules, efficiently. That would make decent start for the NHS...

Farridge must be running Waitrose. Ocados shares have dropped 13% in the last hour. That's huge. Must be trouble at'mill

5 mns later, 14.5% down. Good job I'm not long in Artisan Guacomole
Respectfully disagree, running private companies is purely about maximising profit, everything else is secondary. Waitrose shareholders are probably on Tesco's latest growth/profit figures.

The NHS is a busted flush. It will always want more money.

So a major change from the top right down is needed - and this needs to be a cross party discussion , so it’ll never happen

Sponsored Links
Back