US Lamp

You might have another problem.....

Have you checked that a UK bulb actually fits in the lampholder?

American lamps are E26 & European lamps are E27. ie. the have a (slightly) bigger diameter screw thread.

Sponsored Links
You might have another problem.....

Have you checked that a UK bulb actually fits in the lampholder?

American lamps are E26 & European lamps are E27. ie. the have a (slightly) bigger diameter screw thread.
American Gallons are 6 pints where Uk Gallons are 8 pints.
American Billions are a thousand million where UK Billions are 1 million million so that might compensate;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, really informative and i think ill be replacing the lampholder and wire after all.

And glad to hear my American friends are now better protected!

The diametre is virtually identical, it’s the length of the thread that matters. These ES26 lamp holders leave a lot of thread exposed even with the correct lamp, with an ES27 lamp it’s even worse. And even though the thread should be connected to the neutral, neutrals aren‘t supposed to be bare under normal operating conditions.

American Gallons are 6 pints where Uk Gallons are 8 pints.
US Gallons DO contain 8 Pints.

However, those Gallons are the British Gallons which existed in 1776 - The Winchester Standard gallons. (231 cubic inches)
(3.785 litres)

At one time, the wine gallon, was defined as the volume of a cylinder 6 inches deep and 7 inches in diameter,
i.e. 6 in × (3+1/2 in)2 × π ≈ 230.907 06 cubic inches.
It was redefined during the reign of Queen Anne in 1706 as 231 cubic inches exactly, the earlier definition with π approximated to 22/7.
{\displaystyle \pi r^{2}h\approx {\frac {22}{7}}\times \left({\frac {7~\mathrm {in} }{2}}\right)^{2}\times 6~\mathrm {in} =231~\mathrm {in} ^{3}.}

The Imperial System (1826) changed the size if the British (Imperial) gallon to be the quantity of water which weighed 10 pound.
(4.546 litres)

Fascinating info Frodo , thanks for that, so still less than our gallons but not by as much as I thought, and JohnW2 contributed some info on billions and millions a while back so that helps as well.

I am not wrong but not as right as I thought I was though,
It`s amazing what you can learn on this learning curve of this forum thanks to the great members.

I have used US fittings with E27 lamps and NEVER found the 1 mm difference to be a problem.
Oh how forgotton things spring back into ones mind?

It took me a long time to discover why many of the light fittings brought home from Germany wouldn't accept E27 bulbs, or rather they could usually be forced in but never released... I'd happily accepted the black and white wire colours as "Being foreign" but never understood why the black was the centre conductor.

Eventually someone said they had come from the American forces and that's when I investigated and found the discrepancy...

I must admit that I was not aware of any difference in the standard size of ES classified lamps to such an extent. That is another plus for those forum members who give rise to my education. Thanks gang.

So, I was always under the impression a US gallon was 6 imperial pints until I did some engine calculations and came up with more like 6½pints but then I gave up the silly idea of putting a V12 in my Bedford CF van when the 1600cc died on me (actually it froze). That faded into the mists of time but more recently I found something on a tank which clearly indicated a fill scale which showed US GALL at virtually the same position as 5L which took me somewhat by surprise.
I wish I could remember what that was on.

I hope that we all realize that which we (in the British Commonwealth)
called a "44 Gallon Drum"
is actually a 200 Litre Drum,
since 200 Litres equals 43.99472 Imperial Gallons.

To those in the US, it must be a "53 Gallon Drum".
since 200 Litres = 52.84 US Gallons (?)

Also, it seems to me to be "interesting" that the Imperial System of Measures (1826)
changed the definition of "Hundredweight" to 112 pounds
and hence, the "Ton" from 2000 Pounds. to 2240 Pounds.

This because 2240 Pounds equals 1016.017 Kilograms.

To me, this seems as though Britain was trying to make its "Ton" close to (but better than) the Metric "Tonne" (1000 Kilograms)
and 2000 Pounds is only 907.185 Kilograms.

Going back to bulbs, this thread reminds me that I have a couple of table lamps, bought in Hong Kong years ago but possibly of US origin which have a 3 position rotary switch on the (E27) bulb holder: Off/ON Filament 1/ON Filament 2. Obv this controlled a twin filament bulb that the lamps were originally fitted with but I have never found any in the UK. Any ideas?

Obv this controlled a twin filament bulb that the lamps were originally fitted with but I have never found any in the UK. Any ideas?
Twin filament bulbs are still very much in (diminishing) use in car brake/tail lights, but I think that is the only current usage case for them; the energy efficiency and dimmability of LED bulbs have made them obsolete.

American Billions are a thousand million where UK Billions are 1 million million so that might compensate;)
Whilst I think that is strictly true, you would probably struggle to find anyone in the UK who uses the word to mean anything other that "a thousand million" (i.e. !0^9).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back