US Lamp

Hmmm. I'm not convinced that I have ever used, been taught to use or heard many UK people using the "dah", rather than the "day" first syllable of these words
As I've just written, my education and experience in the UK has been primarily of the "day" (not "dah") first syllable for both "data" and "datum".

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hmmm. I'm not convinced that I have ever used, been taught to use or heard many UK people using the "dah", rather than the "day" first syllable of these words
Dah and Dar for most people will sound the same.

One of the sites I worked on included a short walk around in the site induction and we were shown examples of the Darterm lines where every measurement was referenced to on each floor. (As an aside to this discussion we had to core drill through the slab, made all of the measurements with a long tape measure on both floors and clearly marked the positions, let's describe this as drilling down from the top floor close to a North wall which comes out next to an East wall. After marking we had to get it double checked and approved/signed for by the main contractors inspector who checked it with their all singing all dancing laser machine as within tolerence. We set up the dustbin to collect the spoil and bolted the drill to the floor in a washing up bowl as the bund, marked the thickness of the floor on the drill and started drilling. The depth mark couldn't have been more accurate when it broke through... sadly on the wrong side of the wall.)

Indeed. I wondered about that one too - although the spelling, as well as the pronunciation, suddenly changed in that case.
Confused the hell out of me when we passed Boadicea's statue in London with grandchildren, one had learnt old spelling and t'other the new.

I've often wondered. Given the paucity of sound recording devices a couple of thousand years ago, how do 'we' (some people) 'know' about the 'correct pronunciation' of Latin' ?
I'm definitely not an expert on Latin, so I may be completely wrong! :)

The first 'recorded' use of Datum (and data as a plural), seems to be from the mid 17th century - we may not know what 2000 year old Latin sounded like; but as Latin is still a live language (and these are relatively recent words), we have a good idea of the intended pronunciation, given the 'rules' that have been handed down...

According to wiki, the pronunciation of 'a' would have been as in 'Father' (or in 'Latin' itself), or as in 'Part'.
If 'Data' were to be pronounced 'Day-tah', it may have been written as 'Deta'.

I'm definitely not an expert on Latin, so I may be completely wrong! :)
That makes two of us, then :)
The first 'recorded' use of Datum (and data as a plural), seems to be from the mid 17th century - we may not know what 2000 year old Latin sounded like; but as Latin is still a live language (and these are relatively recent words), we have a good idea of the intended pronunciation....
Do you mean the first recorded use 'in English'? In any event, I don't think that sound recording devices were particularly pentiful in the 17th century, were they? :)
, given the 'rules' that have been handed down...
Hmmm :) Given that there are often more exceptions than compliances with 'rules' associated with the English language, I'm not so sure that means very much!
According to wiki, the pronunciation of 'a' would have been as in 'Father' (or in 'Latin' itself), or as in 'Part'.
Again, I have to wonder 'how anyone knows'.
If 'Data' were to be pronounced 'Day-tah', it may have been written as 'Deta'.
Like "feta" you mean ? :)

Oh boy. There is no way that we can know a correct pronunciation for Latin. The school teachers from every country have there own version, and there are many versions within the UK. Plus the catholic church version. It may be of interest that the name of the character 'Data' in Star Trek - The Next Generation was referred to in the script as having the English pronunciation. And frankly, if you listen to an American saying 'data', it does not match any of the pronunciations given so far.
I have not heard such a load of garbage for a long time.

At a guess , before I click on that link, both influenced by a common pronunciation. I might be wrong though!

Edit - OK now I have clicked and heard them my opinion is (still is) the LH side one (Latin) is the correct way to say it as I was taught at School and the RH side one (English) is incorrect and in my opinion is the american way.

PS my school was of Grammar School standing if that helps

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back