US Lamp

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
dat,a .... as in bat
It's the pronunciation of the first, not second "a" that varies/differs - is that what you're talking about (your comma seems to suggest not)?

To clarify, can I ask you the same question that I asked ebee ... when you pronounce "data", does it rhyme with "martyr" or with "later" (or neither !!)?

Quite apart from the matter of pronunciation, the word "data" has been a very contentious issue for me.

In my day job, I not uncommonly find myself writing/typing the word "data" a hundred or more times in one document. Despite repeated protestations that "I speak and write English, not Latin" for many years I have been forced (by peers, clients, reviewers, journal editors etc.) to treat it as plural - which, even after all the years, still 'sounds/looks wrong' to me every time I type or hear it.

... and there is inconsistency. If (somewhat sarcastically!) I type the word "datum" to refer to a single item (and treat it as singular) that is also seemingly 'not acceptable' - and, reversing the English/Latin distinction, many of them expect me to type "formulas" rather than "formulae" etc. It therefore seems that they don't really know whether they are speaking English or Latin :)

Use of the word "data" is often unavoidable in a lot of my writing but, whenever possible, I try to substitute "information" (or similar), since it seems that no-one requires me to treat that as plural :)

I don't think I've ever come across ";pro data".

I may be misunderstanding here ...

... when you pronounce "data", does it rhyme with "martyr" or with "later" ?
Martyr John, as in dah tah.

No I have never heard of pro data either but it sounds the same (example)

It's the pronunciation of the first, not second "a" that varies/differs - is that what you're talking about (your comma seems to suggest not)?

To clarify, can I ask you the same question that I asked ebee ... when you pronounce "data", does it rhyme with "martyr" or with "later" (or neither !!)?
It's later for me but I regularly hear martyr, batter, da'ah and battah from people I deal with. Just like most other words it's a free for all. Overall I feel it's the first 'a' receiving the most variation.

But does it matter/matryr/m8ter/ma'er?

It's later for me ...
... as I've said, and me, and all the 'data people' with whom I interact - but it now seems that ebee probably regards that as the US pronunciation, which he seems to dislike and/or have a problem with
but I regularly hear martyr, batter, da'ah and battah from people I deal with. Just like most other words it's a free for all. Overall I feel it's the first 'a' receiving the most variation.
Yes, I sometimes hear all sorts of variants, but I virtually always understand what is being said ....
But does it matter/matryr/m8ter/ma'er?
Not a jot. As I always say, all that matters to me about language is that it provides for clear and unambiguous communication - and any of the pronunciations of "data" achieve that

Oh ;)

I, and most of those I work with, must be 'American' then :) ... we all talk of day-ter
Yes I know I am in the minority, at school we were taught the proper way (it was a long time ago now) but then we get some great scifi american TV progs (program or programme - some benefit to us because we differentiate computer progs as the american spelling, so not all bad is it) . But the whole world has now got the habit of pronouncing it the american way. Stop, says I, is nothing sacred? LOL. ;)

Yes I know I am in the minority, at school we were taught the proper way (it was a long time ago now) but then we get some great scifi american TV progs (program or programme ...
Hmmm. I'm not convinced that I have ever used, been taught to use or heard many UK people using the "dah", rather than the "day" first syllable of these words

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back