What have you been doing today?

I have a new set, plus some snap blades. And filler for where it goes wrong.

The snap blades and a straight edge as a cutting guide are my preferred method, I tend to snap off to a new blade after 4 cuts, they dull surprisingly quick.

Sponsored Links
went in the pool with the kids, then sat on sofa with cups of tea and a blanket for an hour to warm up again.

Stayed up all night to break the back of prepping a bathroom for wallpapering. I 'thought' I had stripped back to a secure lining paper, but it lifted when I sized it so I stripped back further on the walls, then decided to do the ceiling too and wished I hadn't as it's woodchip and rough as.

Then spent the best part of two hours looking for a radiator valve key (I swear I have two. Can I find them? Can I duck?), before realising I could use some needle nose pliers. Then couldn't get the water to stop, so I've just unhooked and lain it down instead of bleeding.

I 'think' I'm ready to paper now. A bit nervous as I've not wallpapered before. Mind, I hadn't done a lot of DIY stuff I've done in the last year or so...

BTW, given the choice between the two:
Paste the wall, or
Paste the paper?

(It's Wallrock Fiber liner - says I can do either.)

Have to admit that I find the idea of pasting the wall a bit odd. Until recently that is!
Wallpapered our dressing room recently and it was paste the wall type paper. I was apprehensive and thought it was going to be a pain. Surprisingly I found it much better. Make sure you cover it well, not loads dripping everywhere but don't be mean with the paste, best achieved with a roller for the main area and a 2" brush to get the edges against ceiling and skirting board. The paper is much easier to hang because it's not all wet and gooey so doesn't tear as easily when you are handling it.

So, my opinion is to paste the wall not the paper. I'll be doing this in future regardless of what the instructions say.

I think if they are 'normal' papers and you don’t soak them, it will lift in places. I’ve had that before when I haven’t let them soak long enough.

Sponsored Links
Just eaten our Marks's seafood platter that I bought for our anniversary picnic at Mersea, tomorrow, the 7th. Hawkeye Mrs Mottie noticed the use by date was the 6th. Note to self, take reading glasses next time I go food shopping as I could have sworn it said the 8th! Mrs Mottie won't eat anything 20 seconds past the use by date. :mad: Oh well, we'll try to find somewhere to eat tomorrow.

BTW, I'm not going to get into trouble for posting links, am I? (Just found out I've been banned from another forum. No warning or anything and I don't know if it's for links, but I can't think of anything else. I just don't see why it's worth writing something out when someone explains it better. Plus, I prefer to give people credit.)

Last edited:
Mrs Mottie won't eat anything 20 seconds past the use by date..
What did Mrs M do in the 80s, 70s and before when dates were not printed on packets?
I remember what we used to do in the 70s......look at it. If it looks OK, sniff it. If it smells OK, taste a bit. If that's OK, chance is it'll be fine!

What did Mrs M do in the 80s, 70s and before when dates were not printed on packets?
I remember what we used to do in the 70s......look at it. If it looks OK, sniff it. If it smells OK, taste a bit. If that's OK, chance is it'll be fine!
That’s exactly what I do but old goody two shoes ain’t having any of it. Wherever I can, I remove the dates from packaged fruit and veg or meat and fish that I buy from the counters before it goes in the fridge. :cautious:

BTW, I'm not going to get into trouble for posting links, am I? (Just found out I've been banned from another forum. No warning or anything and I don't know if it's for links, but I can't think of anything else. I just don't see why it's worth writing something out when someone explains it better. Plus, I prefer to give people credit.)

No, no problem posting links on here, in fact it often helps.

What I hate is people post a link to something with no explanation what the link is about until you open it.
I don't bother looking at them. Just put a sentence in your post, not just a link that could be for something you do want to know about.

I was in the local Co-op the other day & they had out-of-date jerseys on the counter. I snagged a bag. Like dates matter for spuds...

It's more certain shops that I'm wary of when buying short-dated stuff. Cheap mince from Lidl needs eating or freezing asap, milk from the local convenience place goes off extra quick, etc. If you know the store, you know which fridges are dodgy.

Apart from bagged salads. Never buy short-dated salads. From anywhere.

That’s exactly what I do but old goody two shoes ain’t having any of it. Wherever I can, I remove the dates from packaged fruit and veg or meat and fish that I buy from the counters before it goes in the fridge. :cautious:
You shouldn't do that with meat and fish! You should need to know if a day out or a week out :)

Yesterday after my 3rd year of picking the fruit and 3rd attempt I managed to make blackcurrant jelly like my mum used to. As kids we hated any 'bits' in our jam and mum would make us a lovely jelly. So well chuffed and sending my brothers all some in the post to bring back happier memories.

Booked the first camper trip since last year, three nights on a five pitch farm site

Sponsored Links
Back