What have you been doing today?

This morning, I finally got the Chinese ceiling fan/light last niggle sorted. I had it working just fine, via it's own remote control, an hour after fitting the unit, but it was suggested to also be controllable, via an app.

There not many clues as to which app worked with it, or even how to set it up. There was a QR code, but that led to an app to control a fancy coloured light range, but not a fan and light, that I could see. A similar named item, from the same company, was the one needed, but then how to get it to pair to the unit?

It claimed to be bluetooth, some buyers mentioned power it off/on, then you have 5 seconds to pair. But no additional bluetooth showing in my phones settings. I finally cracked it, this morning....

You run the app, give it permission to access bluetooth, then power the unit off/on, then press a button in the app itself, to get it to pair - all within 5 seconds.

It's quite a clever unit. Fan has 6 speeds, forward or reverse. Light has infinite levels, from incredibly bright, to dim - but the dim could do with being a little dimmer. Colour temperature is variable between very white, to yellow - only three colour settings at dim, but colour range extends, as the brightness level increases. Then there is a runtime setting, to turn it all off, after a while, so it's not on all night.

If you turn it off at the wall, then turn it on, the light comes on - a bit of a problem, if you go away on holiday, and you suffer a power cut..

Sponsored Links
If you turn it off at the wall, then turn it on, the light comes on - a bit of a problem, if you go away on holiday, and you suffer a power cut..
Had that the other week. We had a power cut down our street for all of a minute around 11.00pm and when it came back on, all the downstairs lamps, outside lights and hall light came on at 100% brightness. I tried turning them off as I normally do via the Alexa but the internet hadn’t fired back up so I switched them all off at source and went to bed.

Last edited:
Taken back a wet and dry from Toolstation which just spewed out clouds of dust.

Mrs S also returned a tub of paint to the orange shed.

She went in for a graduated paint kettle so she could water down paint for fresh plaster. She wanted a high opacity paint too. They sold her Leytex paint as being both high opacity and being suitable for use on fresh plaster without dilution. But when she got it home, discovered it needed watering down anyway.

Plus, it was like water. High opacity, my arse!

They were a bit sniffy about the refund as they said they would not give a refund as it has been part used. But Mrs S insisted that the paint was missing sold.

So I've ordered a load of Dulux Trade Supermatt which is excellent.

Sponsored Links
Taken back a wet and dry from Toolstation which just spewed out clouds of dust.

Mrs S also returned a tub of paint to the orange shed.

She went in for a graduated paint kettle so she could water down paint for fresh plaster. She wanted a high opacity paint too. They sold her Leytex paint as being both high opacity and being suitable for use on fresh plaster without dilution. But when she got it home, discovered it needed watering down anyway.

Plus, it was like water. High opacity, my arse!

They were a bit sniffy about the refund as they said they would not give a refund as it has been part used. But Mrs S insisted that the paint was missing sold.

So I've ordered a load of Dulux Trade Supermatt which is excellent.
Did it have any water in it?
I've found that it makes a significant difference. But I don't understand why it should.

Did it have a filter fitted?
Yes, on the inside.

But the air outlet didn't. Well, it sort of did, but it was only half covering the opening. A bit of foam. He looked at another and it was the same.

Avril arrived back home this am, so out for a meal, then to tackle the water damaged corner of the kitchen. All the cupboards in the corner needed to be emptied, and doors removed, before the damage could even begin to be properly assessed - not something I was about to try tackling on my own. The damage wasn't really as bad as I'd anticipated, just the mock timber, composite corner post, which had soaked up the water, swelled up, and forced the door next to it, into the oven door. Little chance of getting a replacement post, and it was only there for cosmetic reasons, so I decided to have a go at making one, from any suitable timber I had lying around. Avril found a piece, it was both half inch too wide, and half inch to wide. I lack a thicknesser, so I tackled it with a portable saw, then an electric planer. The original, out facing edge, was rounded and concave - I have a router, but none of the bits would do that, so I simply cut it at 45 degrees.

Sanded, cut to length, and time to stain and varnish - the only stain and varnish, too dark, too brown. so resorted to Camp coffee, as the stain, now put aside to dry, until tomorrow, to be varnished, with a clear varnish.

I don't think it was ready-diluted. It suggested it should be thinned with 10pc water for naked plaster.
You got me perplexed with your answer. I was referring to the wet 'n dry vacuum. :)
I find they work better with some water in them. But I don't understand why.

Just picked my mate and his wife up from the London international cruise terminal or, as we know it, Tilbury docks! :ROFLMAO:

Just over a decade ago I bought fifty silver Britannias as a bit of fun. I sold them yesterday to a big online place. But they counted and paid me for fifty two! I rang and told them they were wrong but they said it wasn't possible. It makes you wonder how careful they actually are.

They paid you for my two by mistake.

Can you send me the money, please.

£45 will do.

Just over a decade ago I bought fifty silver Britannias as a bit of fun. I sold them yesterday to a big online place. But they counted and paid me for fifty two! I rang and told them they were wrong but they said it wasn't possible. It makes you wonder how careful they actually are.

Normally with bullion, as these would be, they weigh them for total silver content.
I would be surprised if they were 4% out.
Did you sell them to Bullion by post?

But they counted and paid me for fifty two! I rang and told them they were wrong
IMG_2518.gif

Sponsored Links
Back