What have you been doing today?

Frog ladder?
Close. It’s an 'eel pass'. The pipe is lined with gutter brush to help the elvers wriggle up it and into the pond. When they cleaned the sump, they found Loads of elvers in the sump. That was as far upstream as they could get.They knew they had eels in the pond and assumed they had came in by crossing ground but according to the ranger, they come from the Sargasso sea, drift across the Atlantic as glass eels, turn into elvers, go up the Thames, through the Mardyke and into the Old Hall pond. Well, I found that interesting!

IMG_6896.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
At lunchtime today, I've arranged to go look at, and probably buy/collect, a little used trailer. Only a few weeks ago, I swapped car and caravan electrics, over to 13 pin. Now I find that most small trailers are still 7 pin, so yesterday I went to the large car parts store, in the next village, to source a 13 to 7 pin, plug in adaptor, in readiness. I then remembered I had a spare trailer board tucked away on a shelf in the garage, and so thought it would be simpler to simply get that tested, set up with the number-plate, and use that instead of any lights the trailer might be fitted with, just to get it quickly home. Plugged in on test, the car was complaining the board had a faulty right turn indicator, which I eventually traced to the lamp, not quite making proper contact with the centre pin.

Well, that was a disaster....

He managed to break the 7pin plug on the trailer, getting the trailer out of it's storage, so I was forced to use my trailer board to get it home. There was almost no way to securely attach the board to the trailer, I could see nothing of the trailer in my mirrors, so I had no idea what was happing behind me, and twice the board came adrift, wrecking the board lenses. My spare number plate came off the board, way back, Avril ended up walking back to try to find it. Luckily she did, and it was undamaged. We managed to get it home, without further mishap, showing nowt but white lights behind, though without getting pulled.

Once home, I was able to test the actual trailer lights out, and fit a new 7pin. All were working fine, had the plug not been crunched, and I just been able to plug them in. The trailer itself is good as new, tyres good as new, and a new unopened spare wheel - absolute bargain.

We’re going away for a few days on Thursday to a wedding in Warwickshire (everyone is from Essex so feck knows why) and mrs Mottie had my suit cleaned. Tonight I was instructed to try it on for the first time in over two years to make sure it I could still get into it. It had, ahem, shrunk a little at the cleaners and it was a snug fit. It'll have to do.

Sponsored Links
Fabricating a mounting bracket, for the brand new spare wheel, which came with my 'new' trailer. The spare was just supplied loose, I thought it best fixed on the trailer, rather than floating about loose.

Reading this bizarre story in the Guardian. A GP is accused of disguising himself as a community nurse in order to visit his own mother and inject her boyfriend with a flesh eating poison. All because he was worried about losing his inheritance.

A GP is accused of disguising himself as a community nurse in order to visit his own mother and inject her boyfriend with a flesh eating poison.

Talking of which... I had an appointment at the docs today, to discuss my blood pressure, I also had a second one there, for the 19th, for the covid + flu jab. Since making the 19th appointment, I found the local chemist would be offering walk-ins for them come, Saturday.

Today's appointment, I was told, had been an unnecessary one, generated by the 'system', to check my bp, whereas I was emailing bp readings quite frequently, and they were satisfactory. On the way out, there is an attached pharmacy, on the door of which was a note 'Covid and Flu jabs', so I popped in, and let them do it, then back in the docs, to cancel my 19th appointment.

It was one in each arm, so achy arms expected later. Strangely, I already had an achy right arm, from yesterday - I wonder if that was anticipation.

Going to a wedding in Warwickshire tomorrow so we opted to travel up today and spend a day in Leamington Spa. Staying in an air BnB. Went out for a meal tonight in a French restaurant just 32 seconds from our front door! Cracking meal - I had mussels to start followed by lamb and as no driving was involved, had a bottle of pinot.

IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2689.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back