Winter fuel allowance

i worked all my life paying taxes that included the pensions off all the retired and others in need
iff no one paid taxes now i would not get a state pension when the money dried up

You paid into your OWN pension pot, via taxes and your NI contributions.

That is what should be funding your pension, but as ever Governments raid all pension contributions.

Sponsored Links
According to the OP it would cost more to means test the benefit

And is it true?

They already know who's on Pension Credit, which is the gateway to other "poverty" benefits.

After all there are lots of rich pensioners who don’t receive the state pension

"Lots?"

Are you sure?

Do you mean rich people who didn't pay enough National Insurance before they retired? And so do not qualify?

Where did you hear that story?

Sponsored Links
After all there are lots of rich pensioners who don’t receive the state pension

"Lots?"

Are you sure?

Do you mean rich people who didn't pay enough National Insurance before they retired? And so do not qualify?

Where did you hear that story?

You paid into your OWN pension pot, via taxes and your NI contributions.

That is what should be funding your pension, but as ever Governments raid all pension contributions.
No

People pay into a scheme that the Government pays out from. Some pay in more than they get out. Lots don't. I will let you work out why that is.

You may, additionally, pay into private pensions to top up the state pension though. The fuel allowance accepts that not everybody has private pensions. It also accepts that not everybody needs the allowance, but those that do should get it.

And is it true?

They already know who's on Pension Credit, which is the gateway to other "poverty" benefits.

It's estimated that at least 850,000 pensioners do not claim Pension Credit, so they will drop through the net.

Why not make payments automatic, oh that's right the government prefer the above.

It's estimated that at least 850,000 pensioners do not claim Pension Credit, so they will drop through the net.

Why not make payments automatic, oh that's right the government prefer the above.
I'd guess that most of those that don't claim it are not bothered if they get it or not.

Others that might genuinely suffer are offered assistance to apply by people such as age concern, citizens advice etc.

There is a lot of scaremongering going on.

I think there's lots of pensioners on here. Any of them want to stand up and say the loss of the allowance will affect them badly ?

"The policy to scrap some winter fuel payments is expected to reduce the number of pensioners who receive the payment from 11.4 million to 1.5 million, saving the Treasury £1.4bn this financial year. It is a devolved matter in Scotland and Northern Ireland."

Surely that's enough to pay for running a query on the database to spit out a new list of beneficiaries.

--

I'd guess that most of those that don't claim it are not bothered if they get it or not.
This is not available to anyone so well of that they wouldn't be bothered. Pension credit is available to those getting less than £218 a week, iirc.
ANyone in thet category is likely to care whether they get it, and aWFP would be vey welcome around Christmas.

--

But what is this payment, is it a state benefit in the standard pension package or in the extra-help category.
Invalidity benefit (= PIP) is also currently a non-means-tested "right". That's under scrutiny too.
I get some of that, but I don't even notice it.
Not everyone needs the State Pension either, so how about cutting pensions if you're deemed to be too wealthy?

The argument comes down to policy decision about which payments are means tested and which are not.
As long as there's a fuzzy border, people will argue and/or feel cheated.

So, HMG, sort it.

Last edited:
"The policy to scrap some winter fuel payments is expected to reduce the number of pensioners who receive the payment from 11.4 million to 1.5 million, saving the Treasury £1.4bn this financial year. It is a devolved matter in Scotland and Northern Ireland."

Surely that's enough to pay for running a query on the database to spit out a new list of beneficiaries.

--

This is not available to anyone so well of that they wouldn't be bothered. Pension credit is available to those getting less than £218 a week, iirc.
ANyone in thet category is likely to care whether they get it, and aWFP would be vey welcome around Christmas.
And that's who the wfp is for.

Those that need it. Not those that dont

So when I said "So they will drop through the net"., you didn't understand that these are the ones who would need it?
Since you didn't say what you meant, I don't know what you meant.

So are you, in a muddled way, trying to say that there are people who should qualify for Pension Credit but have not applied for it.

The £300 winter fuel payment is the least of their problems.

Paying £300 to people who don't need it will not solve it.

Sponsored Links
Back