Winter fuel allowance

Thats all well and good but it's a Labour government now.

I doubt the 'let's blame the Torys' is going to comfort those pensioners just above the pension credit level and then some who will be fearful of putting the heating on.

Sponsored Links
I doubt the 'let's blame the Torys' is going to comfort those pensioners just above the pension credit level and then some who will be fearful of putting the heating on.
So they get their £460. The NI service needed for a full state pension was reduced a while ago to increase people's chance of getting it. Say they only get 1/2 of one. They still get £230.

Again ajohn a sensible post and accurate no doubt.

However, from my experience what we consider to be sensible and reliable does not equate to the experiences of OAPs. They won't see it as a sum available but a limit to their ability to heat and will fear the consequences of turning the heating up to a sustainable level. They will see the noise about fuel caps being raised.

Its very easy for us to say but the perspective of a frighten just about managing OAP can be vastly different.

Sponsored Links
The rest of my post is clearly inconvenient to your point though, so sweepy- sweepy eh ;)
So do you think that those already in the higher rate tax bracket are in desperate need of a pay rise? When plenty of lower paid people have to choose between heating and eating and they are holding the commuting public to ransom and inconveniencing people’s daily lives, plenty of people just think they are being greedy bastards. Obviously Kier doesn’t but then again he doesn’t have to get a train to work, does he?

Last edited:
Again ajohn a sensible post and accurate no doubt.
I'm just pointing out that that the drop of WFP is not as mad as it might appear. How well it works is another matter.

The fact is there is a winter excess death in pensioners. My mom had that experience - flu despite the jab. On odd years the jab hasn't worked as well as it usually does. Trying to get deaths due to hypothermia looks to be very difficult but there are estimates around related to being cold. Age Concern might be the best to consider.
They mention cold related illness.

So do you think that those already in the higher rate tax bracket are in desperate need of a pay rise? When plenty of lower paid people have to choose between heating and eating and they are holding the commuting public to ransom and inconveniencing people’s daily lives, plenty of people just think they are being greedy bastards. Obviously Kier doesn’t but then again he doesn’t have to get a train to work, does he?
You could be waiting a while for a serious answer go that. Puts things into prospective. I recall Kier referring to the 54 billion black hole and how the evil Tories might stop the fuel payments. Part of his election pitch. Suddenly the black hole is a complete surprise and pensioners get shafted. Not a nice man.

That's a completely different quotation, but my point was that much of what was awarded will come straight back into the economy.

Unlike the money doled out by the last shower.

That's a completely different quotation, but my point was that much of what was awarded will come straight back into the economy.

Unlike the money doled out by the last shower.
The Bra Baroness hid most of her wedge in a network of offshore accounts, but she spent some on a yacht, and some on a London Plutocrat's mansion.

I suppose there will have been a bit of tax on the mansion.

Sponsored Links
Back