Damp homes, and private tenants

Our friend owns two flats that she rents out. Has done so for over 20 years. She said the biggest problem with renters is that they just won’t open the bloody windows. Mrs Mottie airs our house every day for at least 30 minutes whatever the weather.

Well it looks like you produce just as much wind at home as on here! :p

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the scenarios experienced by the landlord. For example my post #12. No issues pre or post those tenants. So what am I likely to conclude?

I'm not going round and round with you either. Broadly, there are some on here with a chip on their shoulder when it comes to PRS and no amount of discussion will change that.
Yes, there are

182 posts on a damp homes thread which is as much about tenant blaming as decent homes. Maintenance of social housing is greatly underfunded, end of story, whether the tenants are "good" or "bad"

182 posts on a damp homes thread which is as much about tenant blaming as decent homes. Maintenance of social housing is greatly underfunded, end of story, whether the tenants are "good" or "bad"
I doubt anyone would disagree, however I think the op was referring to private rental market?

Sponsored Links
The article also says that it depends what the outer leaf of the building is made of / from.

The principal change was that the use of full-fill cavity wall insulation was not permitted in areas of very severe exposure to wind-driven rain where fairfaced masonry is used for the outer leaf. However, the rules also reflected the reduced risk where impermeable and rendered outer leaf constructions were used and therefore permitted the use of full fill insulation.

So not advisable with brickwork but OK with waterproof render, fair enough but ,my point still stands. Plenty of people in my area had it done FOC and subsequently suffered damp problems. It's well documented, no matter how hard you and nosy troll.

,my point still stands. Plenty of people in my area had it done FOC and subsequently suffered damp problems. It's well documented,
You went from "where it should not be fitted" to "not being advisable" to "ok in a lot of scenarios except FF brickwork" lol. None of the blurb you put up corroborates anything you said about retro fit cav insulation in any case.

And you have the neck to call me a troll.

As I said, a laughable and failed attempt at discrediting the merits of insulation.

You went from "where it should not be fitted" to "not being advisable" to "ok in a lot of scenarios except FF brickwork" lol

And you have the neck to call me a troll.

As I said, a laughable and failed attempt at discrediting the merits of insulation.

troll.

Does damp respect tenure?
It relies on it, i.e. condensation related - cold bridge - black spot mould, version.

Occupancy can vary along with the levels of condensation related mould. Miserly landlords that choose to turn a blind eye, will say "open a window" or some such. What these places need are better levels of insulation along with passive as well as mechanical ventilation. However, you can't always rely on an open window or an extractor or expect people to tolerate noisy traffic and keep the trickles open. You can however rely on good insulation.

It relies on it, i.e. condensation related - cold bridge - black spot mould, version.
LOL someone asked me what was in stale air. Main thing trickle vents are for. Fact is air generally has water in it. The other factor is that if it gets on a colder surface there will be some condensation.

Other aspects are easier. Showers, baths, washing up, cooking, hand clothes washing, drying, airing. They need extraction really that draws more air into the property. Dry air is a pretty rare item.

LOL someone asked me what was in stale air. Main thing trickle vents are for. Fact is air generally has water in it. The other factor is that if it gets on a colder surface there will be some condensation.

Other aspects are easier. Showers, baths, washing up, cooking, hand clothes washing, drying, airing. They need extraction really that draws more air into the property. Dry air is a pretty rare item.
Passive ventilation has been a Building Regulations requirement for years. Same with mechanical extraction regards 'wet' areas, etc. What has changed a lot since I started in the trade though, is levels of insulation, and the way we seal up buildings these days. All good improvements.

So not advisable with brickwork but OK with waterproof render, fair enough but ,my point still stands. Plenty of people in my area had it done FOC and subsequently suffered damp problems. It's well documented, no matter how hard you and nosy troll.

How is pointing out facts from your own source "trolling"?

Sponsored Links
Back