Damp homes, and private tenants

But you don't want them as your tenants I guess?

The councils should be able to make enough from all their tenants to cover all the repairs and upkeep. And all the hassle that goes with it.
why should councils foot the bill the average turn around cost for our local council is over 3k now thats houses that need about a couple of hundred quid to ones that need over 5 figures .
Councils should also be allowed to vet tenants and carry out several inspections a year
In theory they are meant to but in reality many dont i remember years ago it they would be pulled up for not doing their gardens let alone wrecking the houses

Sponsored Links
and the shyte tenants will still wreck them with the public picking up the repair bills .
What should happen, as a point of principal if nothing else, is where it can be proved a tenant / ex tenant has not paid rent for an unreasonable period of time and/or has trashed the place, they should have to pay even a nominal sum from their benefits and/or pay even if just something like £20 a month if they're on the lowest income.

A reminder of their previous actions, even if it goes nowhere near covering the actual cost.

I watched a tv prog years back where the landlord was left literally thousands out of pocket. They did everything properly to try and recoup the money, went through the courts.

Long story short, due to the ex tenant being on low income, the amount they were instructed to pay back was laughable. Then it came up at the end of the prog x months after they hadn't made even one payment.

Result? Not worth the hassle for the landlord. Tenants who play the system know this.

Sponsored Links
Eh?

Just answer the question, i.e. What is 100% the tenants fault?
Deary deary me.

The answer is within the quote of that post ... read it!

And I said sometimes ;)

Don't bother asking me anything else on this, I'm not into the boring round and round some seem to love on here.

A little tale, of personal experience, from today....

I managed to bugger up the mobility scooter batteries, by leaving it switched on, some years ago - then managed to partially recover them. That is until I needed it last week, and it was dead. They are ridiculously expensive, but I ordered a new pair for delivery next day. They didn't turn up that day, the day after, or the day after that, despite FedEx suggesting they would be delivering each day. Fed up with waiting in for the delivery, I cancelled them with the seller, looked on FB market, found some used ones, 45 miles away, at a coastal city, and agreed to buy, driving there and back this morning.

I thought the seller, from what was being discussed, was disabled and elderly, as he claimed to be using a disabled scooter. I had offered to collect late yesterday evening, but he said it would be too late, so agreed to collect this morning. I announced via FB I that I was setting off, when I did at 10am, expecting an acknowledgement, but none was fourth coming. I arrived at the door an hour later, obviously a council type property. Front garden full of scrap, dog sh**, door broken - I had half a mind, to just drive away, but having driven all that way, I knocked. Obviously I woke the whole house up, several kids, mother, us kept waiting for several minutes at the broken door, whilst the seller was got out of bed it seemed. The batteries were then brought out, covered in god knows what, but they tested OK, and a potential bargain. The seller was a young lad, who claimed he'd had them on his mobility scooter, and had just decided to fit new ones. What I could see via the door, the house itself looked absolutely filthy, and obviously none of them with a day job.

I'd taken a couple of carrier bags, simply to make them easier to put it the boot, but the filthy state they were in, I was glad of those bags, to avoid soiling my boot carpet. They got a good scrub, as soon as I got home, and they actually turned out good as new.

I do wonder at just how some people live, and the mess they can get away with making, of someone else's property.

Last edited:
Few props down this way have had insulation installed that has caused massive problems with damp / damage to the building

Afaik it’s all so a country wide issue

Allowing a building to breath / ventilate is important
Stick to plumbing boyo.

Well known that insulation is causing massive problems with damp been in the papers and trade mags etc for years

Cavity wall insulation. Apparently there is a map showing areas where it should not be fitted, which is the entire west coast of uk where wind/rain is more prevalent. We've got it, doesn't work, I'd rather have a cavity containing air.

I'd rather have a cavity containing air.
As long as it is kept stagnant. If there are air bricks or if the cavity is open at the eaves - not such a good idea.

You'd rather build an extension or a house without cavity insulation?

Lol.

Last edited:
Cavity wall insulation.
A lot of the Rigsby shítholes that suffer with black spot mould are solid walls. Perhaps you are one of those that think that adding 75-100mm of PIR to the external walls is a bad idea? Or perhaps you prefer to see that the tenant have their windows open all Winter, lol.

Sponsored Links
Back