Don't want our money? Ok.

Sponsored Links
Greek islands are far better than Majorca, especially after main season in Sept/Oct. Do your homework though, as some islands closer to Turkey, etc can feel more like holidaying in Newham. :eek:
Yikes! At the moment we are looking at Crete as Mrs Mottie has got it in her head she would like to visit Spinalonga as it features in a book she recently read.

i love it when the dog whistle is blown...you can see all the other dogs ear prick-up....so funny

Sponsored Links
Lots of lovely Greek island. That trump all the nicest bits of the Spanish islands. The Greeks balance making an income from tourism vs ripping the tourists off.

If you are private villa people southern Ionian is good. If you are more hotel people. Rhodes or if you like hot spring natural baths in the sea North Aegean.

Yikes! At the moment we are looking at Crete as Mrs Mottie has got it in her head she would like to visit Spinalonga as it features in a book she recently read.

Been to both of those. The ex Leper colony of Spinalonga is deserted except for tourists during the day. It's empty streets and ruins are quite haunting. I think you can do a full day out on the boat to Agios Nikolaos for lunch and Spinalonga.

I used to go to Kos, but I believe it may have been invaded these days due to it's proximity to Turkey.

Been to both of those. The ex Leper colony of Spinalonga is deserted except for tourists during the day. It's empty streets and ruins are quite haunting. I think you can do a full day out on the boat to Agios Nikolaos for lunch and Spinalonga.

I used to go to Kos, but I believe it may have been invaded these days due to it's proximity to Turkey.
For a while you could see quite a few discarded small boats on the beaches, but the Greeks now run a series of gun boats between the east coast and Turkey, from KOS Marina. Those that do get across are taken to one of the small island away from the tourists. You can get plenty of day trips to the islands such as Nisos Nisyros (active volcano), Kalymnos (Vathy is nice).

Kos also has a separate airport lounge for international tourists (non EU) so there are no queues for food, like there are in the EU lounge.

Last edited:
For a while you could see quite a few discarded small boats on the beaches, but the Greeks now run a series of gun boats between the east coast and Turkey, from KOS Marina. Those that do get across are taken to one of the small island away from the tourists. You can get plenty of day trips to the islands such as Nisos Nisyros (active volcano), Kalymnos (Vathy is nice).

Kos also has a separate airport lounge for international tourists (non EU) so there are no queues for food, like there are in the EU lounge.

Yes the Greeks are unfortunately on the front line. Their coastguards recently tried some successful solutions to the problem, but unfortunately someone either blabbed or they were seen. Need to be a lot more discrete.

If I remember right, Kalymnos is sponge island. Nice little harbour and one or two tavernas right on the water.

******WE HAVE A WINNER!!!******

Seems like you have inadvertantly found the one, single benefit of Brexit! We all knew there had to be one somewhere. Yes, you heard it here first, folks. British visitors to the tiny Greek holiday island of Kos no longer have to fight for souvlaki with the Euro masses at the airport. They can relax in comfort with international travellers in a special lounge.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;);)

At the moment we are looking at Crete
I went there 30 odd years ago and due to the area we stopped in had a pretty ethnic holiday. Car hire for the 1st week included, kidded out of booking the 2nd and that costed me a packet. We went all over the place.

One end of the island was packed with sun seekers and dry. The area we stopped in was greener so you can guess what was buzzing about. They can crop up in a number of areas. I recollect one that ignored loads of locals and bit me in the foot. The locals have a theory about that. They also say come in the winter when it's still warm enough to eat outside.

One interesting fact was not being keen on Germans and glad to see more Brits coming. Still ill feelings from WWII. A local managed to get himself into the car in the hills so gave him a lift. He clearly thought we were German. Got to where he lived and a crowd has assembled. Sell stuff to the tourists. He muttered British and all went away. It took him a while to realise that.

Sponsored Links
Back