Police officer

The jury were not aware so why would a national newspaper run the story before the trial?

The Guardian piece was over two years ago, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

The Guardian piece though, written by a "Hackney community activist".
Was he unaware of CK's past (and, evidently, his present), or was he being economical with the truth?

Did the Guardian do any due diligence - on CK - especially given the bang-on certainty of the accusations and counter-claims to come?

Sponsored Links
The key issue in the Blake trial was therefore not the level of harm he intended to cause to Kaba but whether he acted lawfully, ie in self-defence, and to protect colleagues, as he had claimed in court. If the jury felt that he had acted unlawfully, it would only have had to find that by firing at Kaba’s chest Blake intended to cause him grievous bodily harm to conclude that he was guilty of murder. As such, it seems unlikely that giving the jury the alternative option of unlawful act manslaughter would have made a difference.

mtrbikng should read the articles he links

The Guardian piece was over two years ago, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

The Guardian piece though, written by a "Hackney community activist".
Was he unaware of CK's past (and, evidently, his present), or was he being economical with the truth?

Did the Guardian do any due diligence - on CK - especially given the bang-on certainty of the accusations and counter-claims to come?
They didn't take the MET police word for it, i guesss.

Understandable, considering their track record.

Sponsored Links
I guess they are embarrassed about running with the aspiring musician angle.
It's an opinion piece concerning people being stopped by the police so why should they be. I didn't notice the date but fact, the press have to be careful about what they report if a legal action is in progress as it could turn into a trial by the media. So now and again we hear that reporting restrictions have been lifted but only after a trial. We are likely to hear what is said in the trial. Appeals are rather different.

Personally I feel that there are several complications concerning coloured people who are stopped by the police. Maybe the main one is that they probably will have experienced prejudice at some point in their life. Rather hard to say as other factors need considering.

had to find that by firing at Kaba’s chest Blake intended to cause him grievous bodily harm to conclude that he was guilty of murder.
Actually it seems he was shot in the head. Report mentioned that the slug fragmented and made a mess of his brain. They do shoot to kill and perhaps not much body was available or a moving vehicle caused an error in the shot. Fact is people are unlikely to survive a body shot due to the type of round that is likely to have been used. They wont want much energy left if the slug passes right through a body as it might kill some one else. The old idea was that it would penetrate and then rattle around internally. Achieved by using a modified standard round probably produced to match standards. Seems things may have moved on and other aspects figure to achieve the same thing / improve the results.

Last edited:
Actually it seems he was shot in the head. Report mentioned that the slug fragmented and made a mess of his brain. They do shoot to kill and perhaps not much body was available or a moving vehicle caused an error in the shot. Fact is people are unlikely to survive a body shot due to the type of round that is likely to have been used. They wont want much energy left if the slug passes right through a body as it might kill some one else. The old idea was that it would penetrate and then rattle around internally. Achieved by using a modified standard round probably produced to match standards. Seems thing may have moved on and other aspects figure to achieve the same thing / improve the results.
Yes, he was, although Blake claimed he was aiming at his chest - probably true as it's a larger area to hit in that situation. But, having said that, the suspect was in his car, so that kind of shot would be difficult to make and a head shot more likely in the circumstances.

My contention is the officers didn't incapacitate the vehicle properly, leaving a too large gap between them and him, leading to a small chance for him to make a move. Preferably, they'd be better trapping him securely leaving him no option but to surrender.

No doubt Ellal will pop up with his chair leg story……
As usual mottie the troll is proven wrong...

Plod has at times been allowed to have gotten away with murder...

But having been given the evidence, in this case the action at that moment in time was justified...

mottie the troll will no doubt spin this post as usual, but as usual he is wrong ;)

Yes, he was, although Blake claimed he was aiming at his chest - probably true as it's a larger area to hit in that situation. But, having said that, the suspect was in his car, so that kind of shot would be difficult to make and a head shot more likely in the circumstances.
Shorter range can for various reasons make a shot go high. In the extreme it's very difficult to compensate.

My contention is the officers didn't incapacitate the vehicle properly, leaving a too large gap between them and him, leading to a small chance for him to make a move. Preferably, they'd be better trapping him securely leaving him no option but to surrender.
Maybe but as things were various officers could have been hit by the car. Some were approaching the car. There doesn't appear there was any way he could have driven through the block hence driving into other cars.

Sponsored Links
Back