Should multinationals and multibillionaires pay fair tax?

Mostly about 60 (10 to 12 hours a day 6 days a week) and rarely got any holidays -
Some one else that has never heard of supply and demand as far as employment aspects are concerned. Supply and demand largely relates goods sold but it's labour forces that produce the goods. Over producing just leaves the goods lying around as there is no one available to sell them to.

Also people work all of those extra hours for nothing? Supply and demand works on labour rates as well.

LOL Some comments leave wondering what these people do or did for a living. Pretty obvious which ones.

Sponsored Links
I didn't mention the very obvious other problem. If all companies switched to 60hrs there would be job losses in many areas.

Sponsored Links
Good job, coz you would otherwise likely have been knackered out / dead before you'd seen pension age.
think I have done about 50,000 miles on the bike since then - and somewhat unsuccessfully trying to be a cabinet maker

If yiu check I think you will find that the US treat CGT as income. Some one on here thought they didn't have any tax on it. I looked and found they did.
You found out wrong.

Growth on assets held over a year are classed as long term and assets held under a year are classed as income.

For long term assets it’s based on your income with the rate zero rated to 20%.

Foreign citizens don’t pay US CGT just withholding tax on dividends

not really - retired when I was 52
Go back to work then. You can work til 67. Too many people thinking they don't have to work hard.

That's 15 years to help the productivity of the UK. And make sure you work 5 days a week not 4

You can work as long as you like. You don’t have to retire at 67.

You found out wrong.
  • Short-term capital gains tax is a tax applied to profits from selling an asset you’ve held for less than a year. Short-term capital gains taxes are paid at the same rate as you’d pay on your ordinary income, such as wages from a job.
  • Long-term capital gains tax is a tax applied to assets held for more than a year. The long-term capital gains tax rates are 0 percent, 15 percent and 20 percent, depending on your income. These rates are typically much lower than the ordinary income tax rate.

FILING STATUS0% RATE15% RATE20% RATE
Source: Internal Revenue Service
SingleUp to $44,625$44,626 – $492,300Over $492,300
Married filing jointlyUp to $89,250$89,251 – $553,850Over $553,850
Married filing separatelyUp to $44,625$44,626 – $276,900Over $276,900
Head of householdUp to $59,750$59,751 – $523,050Over $523,050

However, you’re still liable for capital gains taxes on anything you purchase and resell for a gain.For example, if you sell artwork, a vintage car, a boat, or jewelry for more than you paid for it, that’s considered a capital gain.

Property such as real estate and collectibles, including art and antiques, fall under special capital gains rules. These gains specify different and sometimes higher tax rates (discussed below).

And don’t forget that if you’ve sold cryptocurrency such as bitcoin for a gain, then you’ll also be liable for capital gains taxes.

In addition, those capital gains may be subject to the net investment income tax (NIIT), an additional levy of 3.8 percent if the taxpayer’s income is above certain amounts. The income thresholds depend on the filer’s status (individual, married filing jointly, etc.) and are not adjusted for inflation.

Meanwhile, for short-term capital gains, the tax brackets for ordinary income taxes apply. The 2023-2024 tax brackets are 10 percent, 12 percent, 22 percent, 24 percent, 32 percent, 35 percent and 37 percent.

LOL they don't discuss the odd balls as the above suggests. It does mention pension investments

You might notice that like their income tax it's very progressive. Trump changed some of the factors but those changes end next year. Biden appears to think that Trump's adjustments puts too much to people that don't need it.

So, you're knocking people as lazy and workshy, for doing 2/3 of the hours per week that you reckon you did.......

..... but you only did 2/3 of a working lifetime.

(y)
Have I said those things in this thread? Clearly I must have given that impression, which was not intended.

I still think it is a very strange move by chairman Starmer, on one hand he speaks of the economic crises the country is in, and then he comes out with this 4 day a week offer - even if it is the same hours the impression is of something easier, lets have more leisure, an easier time of it. As if we'd just struck oil.

He should be trying to gee up the population to work longer and harder and yet for me he is saying the opposite.

He should be trying to gee up the population to work longer and harder and yet for me he is saying the opposite

No, he should be moving the country towards being more productive (more outcome for less input).

You're advocating trying to out-sweatshop the world's sweatshops.

Which is neither desirable, nor likely to succeed.

• Short-term capital gains tax is a tax applied to profits from selling an asset you’ve held for less than a year. Short-term capital gains taxes are paid at the same rate as you’d pay on your ordinary income, such as wages from a job.
  • Long-term capital gains tax is a tax applied to assets held for more than a year. The long-term capital gains tax rates are 0 percent, 15 percent and 20 percent, depending on your income. These rates are typically much lower than the ordinary income tax rate.

FILING STATUS0% RATE15% RATE20% RATE
Source: Internal Revenue Service
SingleUp to $44,625$44,626 – $492,300Over $492,300
Married filing jointlyUp to $89,250$89,251 – $553,850Over $553,850
Married filing separatelyUp to $44,625$44,626 – $276,900Over $276,900
Head of householdUp to $59,750$59,751 – $523,050Over $523,050

However, you’re still liable for capital gains taxes on anything you purchase and resell for a gain.For example, if you sell artwork, a vintage car, a boat, or jewelry for more than you paid for it, that’s considered a capital gain.

Property such as real estate and collectibles, including art and antiques, fall under special capital gains rules. These gains specify different and sometimes higher tax rates (discussed below).

And don’t forget that if you’ve sold cryptocurrency such as bitcoin for a gain, then you’ll also be liable for capital gains taxes.

In addition, those capital gains may be subject to the net investment income tax (NIIT), an additional levy of 3.8 percent if the taxpayer’s income is above certain amounts. The income thresholds depend on the filer’s status (individual, married filing jointly, etc.) and are not adjusted for inflation.

Meanwhile, for short-term capital gains, the tax brackets for ordinary income taxes apply. The 2023-2024 tax brackets are 10 percent, 12 percent, 22 percent, 24 percent, 32 percent, 35 percent and 37 percent.

LOL they don't discuss the odd balls as the above suggests. It does mention pension investments

You might notice that like their income tax it's very progressive. Trump changed some of the factors but those changes end next year. Biden appears to think that Trump's adjustments puts too much to people that don't need it.
as per my shorter version. Capital gains on assets held for more than one year is not treated as income.

Sponsored Links
Back