Ukraine counter offensive

Prighozins (the head of the Wagner mercenary group) private jet was apparently shot down by Russian air defenses during a domestic flight. Reports on Russian media say he was on the passenger list.

Sponsored Links
World's least surprising news

"Prigozhin in fatal plane crash, Russian officials say"

1692829838627.png

Last edited:
Like a repeat of the past , Russian leader knocking off top generals to avoid military take over only to have no one left to fight a war.
Let’s hope history is repeating itself.

German magazine Der Spiegel has published a lengthy and detailed investigation into the attack on the Nord Stream pipeline.

It cites German investigators – who are undertaking “the most important investigation of Germany’s postwar history because of its potential political implications” – and reported that “a striking number of clues point to Ukraine”.

“According to Der Spiegel’s sources, investigators are certain that the saboteurs were in Ukraine before and after the attack. Indeed, the overall picture formed by the puzzles pieces of technical information has grown quite clear.

And the possible motives also seem clear to international security circles: The aim, they says, was to deprive Moscow of an important source of revenue for financing the war against Ukraine. And at the same time to deprive Putin once and for all of his most important instrument of blackmail against the German government.”

Sponsored Links
Pskov is surprisingly distant from Ukraine.

But surprisingly close to Latvia and Estonia.

1693400405381.png

Its a welcome escalation that distant Russian military airfields are being successfully targeted, but NATO needs to make a formal declaration that the drones are not being launched from within its member states. The Russians are looking for any reason to hit NATO so we need to snip the allegations in the bud sharpish.

I'm not sure Russia wants a real war with NATO

(Nor does NATO)

It is having enough trouble with the imaginary one

According to Russia, the war they started is already with NATO!

There is a joke about a Russian man who woke up from a year-long coma, and asked the Doctor what had happened.

The Doctor replied, "Its not good, we are at war with NATO, we have lost 460,000 men with 115,000 killed, 344,000 wounded and a thousand prisoners of war. We have also lost 6,200 combat vehicles, 3,100 tanks 2,100 artillery, 286 aircraft, 276 helicopters and 17 ships, including the flagship."

"The man replied, that awful, what has NATO lost?" The Doctor replied, "They haven't mobilised yet."

A few days ago, I read a newspaper article quoting a report from the US military, saying that Ukraine has suffered huge casualties since their offensive started in June. Before that date, they'd only had about 15,000 deaths, but now the figure is more than 70,000. Another 100,000+ have been wounded. I can't find that exact same article again, but the 70,000 deaths figure is quoted in another couple of places. The concern now is that Ukraine are going to run out of troops before making decisive gains.

Last edited:
A few days ago, I read a newspaper article quoting a report from the US military, saying that Ukraine has suffered huge casualties since their offensive started in June. Before that date, they'd only had about 15,000 deaths, but now the figure is more than 70,000. Another 100,000+ have been wounded. I can't find that exact same article again, but the 70,000 deaths figure is quoted in another couple of places. The concern now is that Ukraine are going to run out of troops before making decisive gains.

I dare say the casulty figures are accurate ( ish)
Killed
Wounded
Captured
MIA

The concern now is that Ukraine are going to run out of troops before making decisive gains.
Why must they make decisive gains? They have 27m people in addition to external volunteers. They can keep fighting for years as long as nato keeps paying the wages.

That article would be wrong. The Ukrainian losses have been ongoing throughout. Bahkmut cost a lot of lives as did the other engagements.

The 70,000 estimate may be right but not the timeline of when those occurred.

Why must they make decisive gains? They have 27m people in addition to external volunteers. They can keep fighting for years as long as nato keeps paying the wages.
Intriguingly, you have a point: while Ukraine has captured Zaporizha in the South, Russian forces have made some progress in the Northern sector in the East of Ukraine, suggesting the Ukrainian forces are spread thinly during the counter-offensive, according to a BBC report. A journo was in a vehicle making its way through a forest when it came under drone attack. He looked very, very nervous.

Various sources, although none imply a breakthrough. Ukraine seems to have switched from trying for a breakthrough to grinding down At multiple points until the line crumbles.
In more Challenger news, it sounds like two of them have been destroyed. One was immobilised by a mine and then destroyed by artillery. The second is claimed to be a victim of guided missile fire

They've gotten a couple of nice reviews from the end users, including a claimed kill at 5km, which is impressive.

Tanks are there to be used.

Tanks are there to be used.

United States President Joe Biden has announced that the first US-made Abrams tanks will be delivered to Ukraine next week, a crucial delivery at a time when Ukrainian forces are engaged in brutal fighting on the front lines with Russia after months of a slow-moving counteroffensive.

“Next week, the first US Abrams tanks will be delivered in Ukraine,” Biden said at the White House, alongside Zelenskyy, who was making his second visit to the US since the Russian invasion in February 2022.

INTERACTIVE_UKRAINE_ABRAMS.png.webp

Allahu Akhbar@Al Jazeera

Too late to assist Ukrainian forces to make a decisive breakthrough of Russian defences and only six weeks to the end of October when further military operations will become bogged down by General Winter, aiding Russian troops to hold the front line.
But a couple of these bad boys alongside the Challengers will bring nightmares to the defenders when operations begin again in the New Year, leaving Putin praying for a Republican victory in the American election.

Sponsored Links
Back