We might be getting imperial measurements back.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I can not think of a single reason or benefit for the old UK Imperial system. Utter (mathematical) garbage. Always was and always will be.
Funny that, coming from you. You have plenty of posts that mention pints, yards, feet and inches. You obviously found more than a single reason to mention them.

It’s a phoney culture war, its Purpose is deflection

every day a few more Tories come out and say they can no longer support Johnson….

Next they'll be scrapping the decimal currency system ...

Talk about insular thinking.

Utterly unbelievable! While we are about it let's scrap the Reform Act and go back to having rotten boroughs - oh, hold on...

Hopefully rather than bring back the old measurements completely it will take some of the anger and stupidity out the rush to metric measurements.
I was working in the civil service when Metric dimensions were foisted onto us in the '70's - new drawings came out with drilled hole sizes quoted in 5 places of metric measurement and a thread dimension in metric when really it was drill out for a 3/8 Whit thread. We ended up with conversion charts to do the jobs.
People brought up on imperial even now find it difficult to visualise metric dimensioned quantise. I guess most senior C&J's have problems with metric materials - every thing is slightly smaller than the equivalent imperial size. And how many combine both measurement (e.g. 8ft and 10mm or 1m 5&1/2 inches - both I've heard recently on site).
Mates kids, children of the 70's, brought up in California where taught both (US) imperial and metric and could switch between either with impunity. His sisters kids taught metric only in the UK were completely befuddled when their cousins spoke about feet and inches.
My last engineering job was working with aircraft and the flyboys understood nautical miles better than KM's - I regularly had switch between talking the two measurements - as a hobby sailor something I could do easily.

In shops the signage isn't difficult - it is/was in many cases PTB stopping the shops from listing prices in both metric and imp. Had it been done sensibly and the change would have taken place transparently by now.

Brought up in the Imperial system..... Hmm. Were you?

As long ago as 1838 a Royal Commission for the Restoration of the Standards of Weight and Measure was appointed and in it's report referred to the advantages of establishing decimal currency in the UK, going on to say that this was required before reform of weights and measures could be undertaken.

Joseph Whitworth (he of screw thread fame) proposed a decimal measure of length for mechanical engineering in 1857, so the thousandth of an inch (or ‘thou’) was added to engineers’ vocabulary. In the same year a British branch of the International Association for Obtaining a Uniform Decimal System of Measures, Weights and Coins was formed

in 1862 a Parliamentary Select Committee unanimously recommended that the use of the metric system should be made legal but that “no compulsory measures should be resorted to until they are sanctioned by the general conviction of the public.”. This lead to the 1864 Weights and Measures (Metric System) Act which permitted the use of metric measures for ‘contracts and dealings’.

The United Kingdom became a signatory of The Metre Convention and joined the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) in 1884.

Even in 1904 at the first British Olympics all the track events were measured - in metres

I was educated in the sixties in both systems and can switch fairly readily between them - measurements like furlongs, chains and bushels are illogical and just leave me shaking my head, Who in God's green earth would want to return to that nonesense?

So metric has been with us, legally,. for a very long time indeed, even our weights and measures are actually tied back in law to a series of metric measures made by Johnson Matthey in 1889. BTW Britain received standard metre and standard kilogram no. 18.

The imperial systems where base on whole fractions rather than decimal points which does make a certain amount of sense if people can work with them.
:) My wife orders in ozs with the butcher - doesn't cause him any grief. I managed to get her to change to slices of cooked meats etc. Wasn't easy.

King Henry's thumb, the inch is strangely anthropic for some engineering usages. The system also works out fairly for guestimated dimensions. The continentals use cm and others. ISO decided only mm and metres exist.

Last edited:
All the scales on our machines at work are metric.
Not many people under 40 understand imperial weight.
I try to use metric all the time but do slip into imperial in my head.

The crown on a pint was never “banned “ by the EU. The glass must be marked by law and the British Parliament decided to use the CE one.

Same as the “metric martyrs“ they refused to use both measurements. They only used imperial scales, against the weights and measures acts.

Sponsored Links
Back