We might be getting imperial measurements back.

Tigercubrider said:
Not many people under 40 understand imperial weight.

I'm surprised that it's not many people under 60 understand Imperial, other than maybe what an inch, foot, mile or pound is. One odd thing is that in the Netherlands they still use the terms "ons" (ounce) which actually means 100 grams, quite a convenient weight measure in many ways together with the term "duim" (pronounced "dowm", or thumb in English) which means approximately 2.5cm/25mm or an inch. These are apparently pre-Napoleonic terms (so well over 200 years old)

Sponsored Links
An old boy in the model shop at college hated metric. 1cm was "six sixteenths full".

Sponsored Links
NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS.

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). Once Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

Quote... Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

i always like to visit the imperial measures at Trafalgar Square

Last edited:
I bet brexers hate the fact the metric system was invented by the French

the original metre standard is kept in France.

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
I was brought up on Imperial, took in the Metric and liked that and the money. Sometimes work Metric, sometimes Imperial, I use what ever suites what I am doing at the time.

In case anyone doesn't know, all the standard units are calculated from physical constants now, so no need for reference lengths etc.

The UK's National Physical Lab in Teddington has always played a big part in that stuff.

The metric system is a great system. Why should it matter who invented it?

Your bitterness about Brexit seems to pervade almost everything you post.
I suggest you read Fillyboys constant, childish hatred of the French.

that’s what I’m getting at.

Sponsored Links
Back