We might be getting imperial measurements back.

A mile is miglia, mille is 1000 - As in Mille Miglia the Italian 1000 mile road race.

I know that Miglio is the Italian for a (single) mile, and Miglia for (plural) miles.

But a "mile" was a thousand Roman military paces. So two modern words from the same Latin origin, Mille.

Sponsored Links
But a "mile" was a thousand Roman military paces. So two modern words from the same Latin origin, Mille.

If the Roman mile, was anywhere close to a modern mile, there pace would need to be almost two yards - 1760 yards to one mile.

If the Roman mile, was anywhere close to a modern mile, there pace would need to be almost two yards - 1760 yards to one mile.

They counted the left foot. I think about 30 inches per leg.

British statute mile has changed several times

1000 paces at 30 inches per leg is 60 000 inches which is 1,666 yards. Not the same, but somewhat similar

The Italian mile is longer than the British mile.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Z'ha 'dum by any chance?
Quite near there (astronomically speaking). ;) Gnareyama actually. In English that's a silent 'r', and the Gn is pronounced by running the two sounds together, like trying to swallow while pronouncing the 'n'.

I'm back from my hols' now.
Yes I know it was just a fraction of a day in earth times, but in astronomical times, and because I enjoyed my holiday so much, it flew by.
Carmenmemoranda has had his annual leave as well now, just early this morning, in earth times. ;)

Last edited:
I presume you've heard the one about close knit families, the ones where they play "incest", a game for all the family

Sponsored Links
Back