We might be getting imperial measurements back.

The other comments was that there is a progression to complete metrication but also that there is little understanding in the younger age groups of imperial, similarly little understanding of metric measurements in the elder age groups (with some of the elder age groups aggressively opposed) - there was an acknowledgement that there is misunderstanding on the differing measurement systems between the old and young age groups.
Thank you for that.

My take on this is that to be incapable of understanding metric you are probably over 70, have absolutely no scientific education (i.e physics, chemistry or biology) and/or you have never done any form of technical job in your entire life - so probably a member of the Tory party, UKIP or the EDL. That, or you are possibly just plain thick, because by about 1970 all science exams were being done in metric, so the people doing those couldn't avoid metric, and anyone who has done anything remotely technical (from mechanics to butchers, from bakers to joiners) would have been working in metric from the 1970s onwards. Meaning that it is only going to be the retired who will have this anti-metric attitude, or the terminally thick who are incapable of adapting to new ideas.

But then I'm not quite 70

Sponsored Links
So you believe we are the same person? Even though I said I don't know him or anything about him ?

You would believe me if I said I know him ? But not believe me when I say I dont? Do you see the problem yet ? Clue, look in the mirror.

I said nowt of the sort

Another false allegation by ????? Again

Look in yer own mirror and what will
You see “ a fruit cake” :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I can not think of a single reason or benefit for the old UK Imperial system. Utter (mathematical) garbage. Always was and always will be.

It just evolved independently, separately in numerous trades and professions, everyone devising their measurements to suit what ever they needed for their own use. The metric measurements came about by design - someone sat down and designed a series of measurements which worked together.

Who in their right mind would devise a measurement with 12 inches to a foot, three feet to a yard and 1760 yards in a mile, even ignoring the rod, perches, poles and chains.

Sponsored Links
I still work in imperial when I can.

That is, I measure in inches, down to 1/8".
Mainly because I can see the marks without my reading glasses on, also because the tolerance I'm working to is usually several inches either way :)

When I laid out printed circuit boards I used thousandths of an inch all the time as it was easier to remember say 6 thou than whatever the 0.?? mm equivalent is and would still do that.

Much of what we use is still imperial, even if it's sold in metric measurements it's still an old imperial size.

i work in both with one dominant and the other in brackets fully interchangeable, this allows a check to measurements and fairly instant conversion

Engine power measured in good old

BHP

For those who don’t know BHP =
Brake Horse Power :cool:

Another one some times commonly used is
BHP per ton

0 to 60 mph

And the O to 100 mph to 0 world record for a production car is held by the Ultima

Is boat speed and imperial measurement

I.e knots ???
No, and never was. A Nautical 'Mile' is 1 minute of 1 degree Latitude = standardised on 1852 metres* cause it actual differs between the equator and the poles because the east in not truly spherical being slightly flattened at the poles.

*when I did my navigation exams it was quoted in the text books as 1852 metres / 6080 feet, either standard was acceptable. On paper charts Km measurements have to be scaled off the Scale line in the notes whilst NM can scaled off the Latitude graduations on the sides of the chart. In todays use of electronic charts and navigation aids the base calculation is always done in metres.

Is boat speed and imperial measurement

I.e knots ???

Yes. It comes from the early Briitish Navy, where they threw a log overboard, with a rope attached. The rope would have a series of knots tied in it, which would be pulled through the hand of the operator. Someone would measure time, egg-timer/clock, whilst the number of knots was counted - thus you can derive a speed through the water of the boat/ship. Which is also where our word log comes from, for making notes.

Sponsored Links
Back