What have you had for dinner

• Thread starter Deleted member 294929
  • Start date
That’s not gravy. That’s 'Jus'! Actually looks a lot but it wasn’t really.
IMG_6614.jpeg

The last couple of roast dinners I’ve had out all had one thing in common that 'made' the meal. Gravy, or if you're paying a bit more, jus! I have got to learn how to make a decent jus.

Sponsored Links
Dunno if there’s a name for it but we are having what we call “pasta mash up". Basically, stir fry any veg you have left over - tonight I fried red onion, courgette, red and yellow peppers, garlic, mushrooms, French beans and broccoli.

IMG_2028.jpeg

Set aside. Boil up some Penne pasta, mix the two together, chuck in a jar of red pesto and that’s it. You can add some meat - tonight I fried off some chicken breast but my favourite is chorizo. Serve up with a covering of grated Parmesan.

IMG_2031.jpeg

I always make extra - you can warm it up in the micro the following day or just have it cold for lunch. (y)

Sponsored Links
Poor finish around that socket Mottie? Surprised that wasn't picked up on the snag list.
Not finished. The colour has yet to be decided and then I’m going to fill all the little bits and paint. Got quite a few bits. I just chucked a temporary coat of white on for now,

An Iceland, Oriental chicken stir fry. We did a big shop there, this morning and they said delivery between 2 and 5pm. It hadn't arrived by 5:15, so I rang them to ask where it was, as we hadn't got anything out to cook, until it arrived - told it was due 5 to 7pm instead, so Avril and I, had to delay dinner.

Wine stocks running low, so I put another 23L batch on, on Sunday. Not my usual Wilco white, this time a 23L kit from The Range. I tracked down Wilko's supplier, and they suggested The Range was almost the same as the Wilko white, but we'll see in a few weeks...

On washing out the big fermenting vessel, I spotted why I'd lost around 1/3 of my last batch, to leakage - the plastic tap had split, and not very obvious to the eye. I had thought, it was just one of the tap sealing rings, leaking, but no. To enable a new batch to be got going, I took the tap out, and sealed the hole with a rubber bung.

Was going to do fish with cauliflower cheese, but got completely knackered by the shambolic main road closures in Lichfield.
So, I went to the pub instead, and got a kebab on the way home.

Linguine with prawns in my home made tomato and herb sauce. Nice, but a bit of a bastard to eat without accidents. Mrs Mottie said she might have to dig out one of the kids old bibs!

IMG_6660.jpeg

Leftover chicken breast from last Sunday, mash, roast pots, yorkie, carrots, peas, broccoli, and gravy. The veg cooked in the steamer, which remained on the hob, with the hob left on, and forgotten, after dinner. Until I smelled it dry, a couple of hours later. There was an incredible, burnt, black mess in the base - but it all cleaned up just fine. No evidence at all left -phew!

The 23L of The Range wine kit, which I put on last Sunday, progressed at a terrific rate, then stopped on Thursday. I'm not used to it taking less than 10 days, so I left it until today, to check the gravity. To my surprise, it was fully fermented out, ready for killing, and settling out. Looks as if I'll be bottling early this week ;)

So I got the utility room worktop, cleared, and ready for bottle washing, sterilising, and ready to fill.

Lovely! How are finding cooking on an induction hob?
I’m still learning. It has some kind of floating magnetic button that you have to depress towards the section you want to control. When that section is able to be adjusted, there is a red line under the section that the wheel will adjust when turned up or down (as in the picture). I keep forgetting to tap that section before adjusting it and turning a different section up or down. More practice needed. Lots more!

Sponsored Links
Back