Winter fuel allowance

This from the link in my opening post.............

"Currently, 866,000 poor people, some 30% of those eligible, do not take up pension credit."

So NO they don't all get it.
That's their own fault, to a degree.
There are notices up in my GP surgery asking if people get more than £xxx and if not, a phone number's there.
Once they're on one means tested benefit, that, I suggest, should cover all the other hand-outs.
Usually there's a relative or or someone in a support network who checks. My mother kept getting asked. That was the case with PIP too.

Anecdotally, I/we did help one person who was adamant that she wouldn't be entitled, but was wrong. They must be part of the 30%.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Those that are on housing benefits will also get the payment. The decision to drop it was based on comparing past prices with prices now and the pension payment increase. £900.. Looks like this years increase will be ~4%.

That's their own fault, to a degree.

Have you any concept of the problems many pensioners face.

Poor eyesight/poor hearing/dementia//Alzheimer's/ loneliness/mobility, but to name just a few of there problems.

Rather than force these pensioners to claim (governments save millions this way), the authorities should be forced to
find these people and ensure they receive such benefits.

Usually there's a relative or or someone in a support network who checks. My mother kept getting asked. That was the case with PIP too.

Many pensioners have no support network at all, they struggle on with what ever pension income they have, completely oblivious to what extras available to them. The same applies to many people, not only pensioners - the system requires you to first be aware, and know you are entitled to claim. Many of those entitled to claim, are just too proud to claim.

Sponsored Links

Poor eyesight/poor hearing/dementia//Alzheimer's/ loneliness/mobility, but to name just a few of there problems.

Rather than force these pensioners to claim (governments save millions this way), the authorities should be forced to
find these people and ensure they receive such benefits.
Fúck me the Tory faithful on here are contorting themselves into all kinds of new positions on authoritarian meddling, all of a sudden.

I've never seen such insincere, disingenuous bullshít, since The Witch died.

Fúck me the Tory faithful on here are contorting themselves into all kinds of new positions on authoritarian meddling, all of a sudden.

I've never seen such insincere, disingenuous bullshít, since The Witch died.

Another LWR trying to shout down opinion he is not happy with

Age concern and citizens advice, if no other family, are easy access and happy to help pensioners claim anything and everything they can.

You can provide whatever help you want, but if people don't want to access it then the blame isn't a government problem. It certainly wasn't when the Tories were in power either. It's not a sudden shift, it's just the wfa has been removed from those that don't need it.

There is no big pot of money. It's very limited so it has to be directed at those most in need.

Which model of new car to get, what tee time to book, where to go on holiday next month........

Many pensioners are dripping with money. Give their "share" to someone who needs it.

Age concern and citizens advice, if no other family, are easy access and happy to help pensioners claim anything and everything they can.

You can provide whatever help you want, but if people don't want to access it then the blame isn't a government problem. It certainly wasn't when the Tories were in power either. It's not a sudden shift, it's just the wfa has been removed from those that don't need it.

There is no big pot of money. It's very limited so it has to be directed at those most in need.

I believe that ALL governments have failed the poorer section of society. (how many homeless are there?)

Sponsored Links
Back