Damp homes, and private tenants

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not looking for praise. Not looking for a medal. It's (quite rightly) what's expected of me. Just an aside story to the main topic.

One of my tenants contacted me today. From the EPC C rated property they rent from me at slightly below average rent for the area.

Plumbing issue.

From their initial point of contact with me, a plumber was arranged within 30 mins. Going to the property at a date/time that suits the tenant.

Ah yes, us scummy Rigsby-esque landlords that let out junk properties for £1,000,000,000 a month never do anything right by our tenants ...

One of those links seems to be focusing on a late 19th century terraced house. I thought you were going to link us to (retro) cavity wall insulation issues?
Seems there are landlord biased forums out there that allow Rigsbys to huddle together and try and find ANY excuse not to spend their rent income on insulation...."tell them to open windows and turn the heating up.... "Blame the tenants at all costs..."

Fúcking parasites.

Last edited:
Early on, the only local authority tenants I took were under a scheme where the council undertook to pay, and all maintenance. So when the tenants or their gorilla troop swung on the cupboard doors or kicked the bath panel in, it was their problem. There was a boiler which had cut out because the pump was sticking intermittently. Instead of pressing the reset button, they'd hammered the reset button and bent the parts. Council paid for new boiler.

As the #232 post above, I used to be on the end of the phone to respond, and turn up in the evenings where I could. Well worth it all round. (Not for the LA tenants)

My better HMO is further up the spectrum and much easier. Most rooms have a specific place one can work at a computer all day. (Some use it as a space to take food). They're popular with young couples where one works from home.
One smaller room wasn't so good so we converted it into a work room with three workstations, and air con. So tenants who pay can share/lock that room. Its rent covers it well and people like it, so they stay ( and get a discount as there's no redecorating to redo). Last time I visited there was an expensive bike in the work room - no prob!
The rooms cost only a little less than a decent 1 bed flat but it's always full. I'm looking at providing somewhere outside they can lock away and charge e-bikes. Car if, maybe.
Councils could do well providing the sort of accom people actually want.

Councils could do well providing the sort of accom people actually want.
A lot do provide mid market and market rent properties which are higher spec. They still need to cater for the lowest paid, and worse, in society. The private sector have a lot more leeway than councils when choosing tenants.

Early on, the only local authority tenants I took were under a scheme where the council undertook to pay, and all maintenance. So when the tenants or their gorilla troop swung on the cupboard doors or kicked the bath panel in, it was their problem. There was a boiler which had cut out because the pump was sticking intermittently. Instead of pressing the reset button, they'd hammered the reset button and bent the parts. Council paid for new boiler.

As the #232 post above, I used to be on the end of the phone to respond, and turn up in the evenings where I could. Well worth it all round. (Not for the LA tenants)
I'm sure you're making all of that up. Tenants treating a property like there's no tomorrow? Nah, not buying it. A landlord who was there for their tenants quickly and efficiently? Nah, not buying that either.

;)

Sponsored Links
Back