EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Just encountered my first EV person with extension lead stretched over the pavement charging their battery Hyundai thing. Expect lots more of this stupidity. :rolleyes:
And how many times have you seen pedestrians unable to walk on a path because of parked cars.

Stupidity isn't reserved to just 1 type of car

And how many times have you seen pedestrians unable to walk on a path because of parked cars.

True! There are just too many cars on the road though, aren't there? Why not ban all city cars and turn the pavements into airport style travelators?

True! There are just too many cars on the road though, aren't there? Why not ban all city cars and turn the pavements into airport style travelators?
Or have efficient public transport so individual vehicles aren't needed for everyone.

Sponsored Links

No, not reserved, but it seems far more likely with some who have rushed into new technology without thinking.

Someone parks their car out in the road with an extension cable across their garden and then across the pavement (as was the case yesterday) - they are making a hazard for everyone that uses the pavement. Also, once again, that someone has rushed into EV ownership without considering the practicalities. But at least they appear green (this obviously has more than one meaning).

This car was parked in the road around the corner from my father's rental flat, the same flat where a next door EV owning tenant trespassed on his forecourt with his EV so he could get close enough to reach his cable through his front window. The EV owner seemed surprised that I wasn't happy about his EV being there, 2 feet from our front door - and said he only needed to do this for a few hours once a week. :rolleyes:

The stupidity of these EV owners and the sense of entitlement does not bode well. Imagine in years to come when the majority have been forced to use battery cars - with cables stretched across every pavement and people parking wherever they can to be near a power source. This will become reality here in Bristol, because there is high density housing, high car ownership and a high proportion of housing without private parking. This hasn't been thought through at all.

Last edited:
No, not reserved, but it seems far more likely with some who have rushed into new technology without thinking.

Someone parks their car out in the road with an extension cable across their garden and then across the pavement (as was the case yesterday) - they are making a hazard for everyone that uses the pavement. Also, once again, that someone has rushed into EV ownership without considering the practicalities. But at least they appear green (this obviously has more than one meaning).

This car was parked in the road around the corner from my father's rental flat, the same flat where a next door EV owning tenant trespassed on his forecourt with his EV so he could get close enough to reach his cable through his front window. The EV owner seemed surprised that I wasn't happy about his EV being there, 2 feet from our front door - and said he only needed to do this for a few hours once a week. :rolleyes:

The stupidity of these EV owners and the sense of entitlement does not bode well. Imagine in years to come when the majority have been forced to use battery cars - with cables stretched across every pavement and people parking wherever they can to be near a power source. This will become reality here in Bristol, because there is high density housing, high car ownership and a high proportion of housing without private parking. This hasn't been thought through at all.
Yeah yeah yeah.

There's far more ignorant and arrogant parking by people in ice cars than there are charging leads to fall over.

It's often those that park on pavements that will complain about an ev charging lead.

Fictitious? I know I've mentioned this before, but just to reiterate; I'm not comfortable with the casting of aspersions. This forum is better than that, isn't it?

Yes, some are just mistaken, some have a grain of truth but are much exaggerated, and some are absolutely out-and-out fictitious.

I'm one of those for whom an EV would make perfect sense - I hardly ever do long journeys in a day. In fact I really can't remember the last time I would not have been able to finish my day's driving without refuelling if I'd begun the day with a full tank. Which of course is the equivalence if you charge an EV at home.

But for now I'm happy with my petrol vehicle. I do a low mileage, so I'm not desperately worried about GHG emissions, and there are no diseasel particulates. In fact I wonder, given my low mileage, how long it would take to break-even on all the embedded emissions from producing a new EV.

Plus, were I to swap, there's no way that my car (sub-100K miles Merc) would get scrapped (or at least I hope it wouldn't), so it would almost certainly end up being driven further than I do, which tips the break-even point further.

Maybe the govt should be subsidising low-mileage drivers to take on the ownership of ICEVs... :LOL:

And all done without music, hyperbole, gurning....

Same with Harry's Garage, and another YT channel I can recommend is Tyrell's Classic Workshop. (Although sadly he does seem to have now taken up gurning on his thumbnails).

Oh your petrol engine still produces particulates, just fewer than the diesel. These days, pretty much all new petrol cars have "GPFs" (Gasoline Particulate Filters) because of it. It will also produce carbon monoxide, some unburned hydrocarbons, a few oxides of nitrogen and of course, carbon dioxide. Small amounts, if you don't do many miles, but petrol cars aren't "emissions free". If you let me have a rough idea of your annual mileage and what the car does to the gallon, I'll be able to give you a fag packet calculation of its CO2 emissions each year.

And yes, buying a brand new EV might not break-even compared to keeping your car, with your particular usage characteristics. Again, those are sums that are relatively easy to do, if you replace it with something similar but electric. And yes, if you sold it, the next guy might do more miles than you, but that same guy would still be doing more miles than you if you didn't sell it, he'd just be doing them in a different car. It's all a continuum. Unless you plan to enjoy a viking funeral in your car (be it this one or an EV), either car will go on to its next user, where the EV will emit less CO2 than the ICE. My parents are in a slight variation on your position. My dad is 85 now, and won't be driving much longer. He doesn't do many miles, and has an absolute howling dog of an old Freelander diesel, from 2001. When he's done with it, it will almost certainly be scrapped, so it's good that it's with him doing a few thousand miles a year, than with someone doing several times that. However, that calculation only works if you do very few miles AND the car gets scrapped when you're done with it. If it goes on to someone else, it doesn't work.

I've sometimes thought that one of these:

5e373632e5695ann-17.jpg

turned into a 4-door 4/5 seater, with the back made into a pickup bed would be a nice versatile vehicle.

:sick:

Like people who did low mileages and short runs, but rushed out to by diesel ICEs with DPFs you mean...? ;)

A bit like electricity when that first came out... right...? Yeah... that was going to be the end of the world too...:rolleyes:

FB_IMG_1724004757811.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back