EV are they worth it?

It does not need to be an EV to have massive problems with a discharged 12 volt battery, my father-in-law's car parked in his integral garage with front of bonnet under his work bench had a flat battery, windows open so could reach in to release hand brake, but it was an electric one so would not release, had to jack up rear with a trolley jack and tow it out a bit with my car so I could open bonnet to put battery on charge.

One of the big problems with EV's is charging it, with a host of apps required to be able to pay for that charge, although new law says must be able to use without an app, the size limit is 8 kW single phase 50 kW three phase before that applies to existing outlets, so it really only applies to fast chargers, as the two standard sizes at 7 kW single and 22 kW three phase most will not need to be altered.

And the lead and plug to use the EV charging points are far too big for me to carry on my e-bike, so it is still a visit to cafe or pub and please can a re-charge my battery here. Which today never been refused. Answer for EV's was worked out so many years ago with the Bedford CF van, where you swapped batteries rather than charge them in place.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I understand Tesla make it difficult for owners to access a car with a flat battery or electrical fault.

I understand Tesla make it difficult for owners to access a car with a flat battery or electrical fault.
They do, as an external 12V power supply is required.

However if the battery is flat and/or there is an electrical fault, why does this matter in the slightest? The vehicle won't be going anywhere and will almost certainly require towing or transporting to some service place.

For those that may care about such rare and unlikely events, other manufacturers of cars are available.

If the 12v battery is flat, reviving it is a simple matter

Unless the designer has foolishly made it difficult.

Even if it is to be towed away, the owner might like to open the door to get his sunglasses or other possessions.

If the 12v battery is flat, reviving it is a simple matter
It is - but only if another 12V battery is available, or a 12V power supply, battery charger or whatever, but if that's the case the front can be opened using the two wires and that same 12V battery or supply, so the problem of opening the car does not exist any more.

It is - but only if another 12V battery is available, or a 12V power supply, battery charger or whatever, but if that's the case the front can be opened using the two wires and that same 12V battery or supply, so the problem of opening the car does not exist any more.
Intelligent chargers (the only sort worth having) don't produce an output unless connected to a battery. Or at least some don't. My Ctek for example.

But ATEOTD, why is it better to not have a lock which can be opened with a key blade, and to not have a lever under the dashboard connected by a wire rope to the bonnet catch and/or boot lid, and to not have little levers on the doors mechanically connected to the door locks?

How does not having these things benefit the users of the car?

And if not having these things does not benefit people, then why in gods name do car makers do it?

But ATEOTD, why is it better to not have a lock which can be opened with a key blade, and to not have a lever under the dashboard connected by a wire rope to the bonnet catch and/or boot lid, and to not have little levers on the doors mechanically connected to the door locks?

How does not having these things benefit the users of the car?

And if not having these things does not benefit people, then why in gods name do car makers do it?
I guess the main advantage, is that once you have electronic control of those devices, you can activate them in a variety of ways. For example, via the remote key fob or a phone app. E.g. wife stood by car, in the pouring rain, having just had her bag snatched with her keys in. She could still get someone to call me and I could remotely open it for her. (Not that it's ever happened).

Obviously, it saves the manufacturer weight and money. No handle to tool up for, no Bowden cable to fit and adjust for the bonnet release. A popular thing when you've got your hands full of shopping / kids, etc, is this thing where there's a proximity sensor under the back bumper, so you can just wave your foot under it and pop the tailgate. No lock to design and make, either. Just kill the power to the release mechanism. Software doesn't weigh anything and is dirt cheap to fit!

I can remember the 1980s when folk were having this exact same conversation about central locking...

I guess the main advantage, is that once you have electronic control of those devices, you can activate them in a variety of ways. For example, via the remote key fob or a phone app. E.g. wife stood by car, in the pouring rain, having just had her bag snatched with her keys in. She could still get someone to call me and I could remotely open it for her. (Not that it's ever happened).

Obviously, it saves the manufacturer weight and money. No handle to tool up for, no Bowden cable to fit and adjust for the bonnet release. A popular thing when you've got your hands full of shopping / kids, etc, is this thing where there's a proximity sensor under the back bumper, so you can just wave your foot under it and pop the tailgate. No lock to design and make, either. Just kill the power to the release mechanism. Software doesn't weigh anything and is dirt cheap to fit!

I can remember the 1980s when folk were having this exact same conversation about central locking...
Yes, all good points.

But you also know what weather and time does to electrical components and connections in cars. That's without hacking.

Some progress is advancing backwards.

There is very little cost involved at production level for a mechanical system, as a backup, for access to the passenger compartment, if not the luggage/bonnet areas.

Being stranded for various reasons happens, to all cars. But getting your breakdown membership details, or a hi viz, or a coat/walking shoes out shouldn't be virtually impossible.

Is this proof that EV owners are being taken for mugs and the whole EV thing is getting even more preposterous? £100,000 for the latest completely forgettable and anonymous battery blandmobile from Volvo, that looks like any other battery blandmobile. Is anyone mad enough to spend a tenth of a million on this?

Sponsored Links
Back