EV are they worth it?

Talking to a friend today who has recently acquired a new EV .. apparently it's a company car & when he ran through all the government incentives/subsidies applicable in such circumstances you can see why the majority of new EV's are not being bought by private individuals, a small detail omitted in the official Gov. UK statistics highlighting new car registration figures.

That's because they're bloody expensive, new, and the benefit in kind is only 2% on most of them. But why should that be a problem? Pretty much every new EV sold on to a company or a leasing company or a hire car fleet, will be dealt-on into the 2nd hand car market, in a year or two. Most private individuals don't buy new cars at all (ICE or EV).

Sponsored Links
You are simply saying ICE cars are better when it comes to fires..
Sigh

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'd implore you to re-read the post but I don't think the blocker is at the reading part, and there is no fixing wilful misunderstanding

You talk like carrying round 100 litres of highly flammable, explosive hydrocarbon is the safest thing in the world

Sponsored Links
You talk like carrying round 100 litres of highly flammable, explosive hydrocarbon is the safest thing in the world
One small detail here .. whilst the above substance is both flammable & explosive (or rather the vapours are) it needs an ignition source, whereas apparently EV batteries can self-combust when damaged & present difficulties of their own when it comes to extinguishing the subsequent fire.

What a Muppet! 100 years ago, he'd have been scratching around for any bits of dirt he could find, to try and persuade people to have nothing to do with these "motor carriages" and to stick with horses...
1/3 of stealers refusing to play ball is not dirt but a mud slide.

Lithium combusts from water, heat, or kinetic impact. The only reason they don't blow is because of a miracle.

That might be true, if it was pure lithium, but lithium ion batteries use various salts of lithium, typically lithium phosphates, carbonates or sulphides, or oxides of lithium. You may have noticed that sodium also displays a pretty vigorous reaction with water, and yet a salt of sodium, (sodium chloride) is what you sprinkle on your chips and eat.

So it's not a "miracle, it's "science" (which to some, may be much the same thing, I guess, but miracles are, by definition, something extraordinary, whereas EV batteries not exploding or setting themselves on fire, is actually the norm).

Funny enough, when you're type approving an EV in the EU, there are tests you have to do on the battery for both shock and water ingress. However, this is from a short circuit point of view, rather than "explosion".

You may have noticed that sodium also displays a pretty vigorous reaction with water, and yet a salt of sodium, (sodium chloride) is what you sprinkle on your chips and eat.
The only thing I noticed is the numerous mobile phone fires on youtube. These tell me everything I need to know.

1/3 of stealers refusing to play ball is not dirt but a mud slide.

Not really. Most of them will end up toeing the line. A few others will have to find some other business to be in. Bodyshops did something similar when car manufacturers started making bodyshells out of aluminium.

"Oh this is the end of the world"! "We'll never invest in the new equipment"! "We'll never acquire the new skills"! "Cars will become unrepairable"!

Needless to say, when the time came, the vast majority of them just shut up and got on with it, but a few laggards fell by the wayside.

I have to admit when I travel around 20 miles a week, some thing like the Citroen Ami seems to make sense, but it would need to go a little bit faster, at 40 MPH would be considering it.

Main advantage for small mileage is when wanted it is sitting there with a full tank, ready to go, yesterday I have to put 2 of the 3 cars in the house hold on charge as not used enough to keep batteries charged.

But I watch the adverts and
No, they tell you everything you think you need to know - which, as you display here on a reguar basis, is "not much"... :rolleyes:
seems to be the main point, I have watched them and no details are given, or if they are only in part, I want to know how far on a charge, and how long to recharge, at 2.2 kW, 7 kW and 22 kW, if it can use a 22 kW outlet i.e. is it 3 phase, and what is the cost per mile. These details are not in the adverts, one has to scroll web sites and do calculations.

Before 1935 we had a seller of petrol called Pratts, we could buy petrol in cans 1696856349930.jpeg and then we progressed to the Esso service station, the Esso sign means happy motoring call at the Esso sign for Esso Extra. Get a tiger in your tank and stick on bullet holes etc. The French connection.

But at that time there was no other option, it would have been impossible to tour the country in a milk float or even latter a Bedford CF electric 1696856769084.png there were no charging points, other than on the premises of the firms that owned them. Today to swap over it required a whole new infrastructure first, including a move away from TN-C-S supplies.

We started with electric trains in Liverpool in 1883, (Overhead Railway) but to be fair electric cars were also made many years ago, but still only 38% is electrified, OK it carries 3/4 of our passengers, but that is because most under ground railways had to be electric due to problems getting rid of fumes with other forms, we will never get 100% but once we have 75% then is the time to look at roads.

I have to admit when I travel around 20 miles a week, some thing like the Citroen Ami seems to make sense, but it would need to go a little bit faster, at 40 MPH would be considering it.

Main advantage for small mileage is when wanted it is sitting there with a full tank, ready to go, yesterday I have to put 2 of the 3 cars in the house hold on charge as not used enough to keep batteries charged.

But I watch the adverts and

seems to be the main point, I have watched them and no details are given, or if they are only in part, I want to know how far on a charge, and how long to recharge, at 2.2 kW, 7 kW and 22 kW, if it can use a 22 kW outlet i.e. is it 3 phase, and what is the cost per mile. These details are not in the adverts, one has to scroll web sites and do calculations.

Before 1935 we had a seller of petrol called Pratts, we could buy petrol in cans View attachment 316461 and then we progressed to the Esso service station, the Esso sign means happy motoring call at the Esso sign for Esso Extra. Get a tiger in your tank and stick on bullet holes etc. The French connection.

But at that time there was no other option, it would have been impossible to tour the country in a milk float or even latter a Bedford CF electric View attachment 316462 there were no charging points, other than on the premises of the firms that owned them. Today to swap over it required a whole new infrastructure first, including a move away from TN-C-S supplies.

We started with electric trains in Liverpool in 1883, (Overhead Railway) but to be fair electric cars were also made many years ago, but still only 38% is electrified, OK it carries 3/4 of our passengers, but that is because most under ground railways had to be electric due to problems getting rid of fumes with other forms, we will never get 100% but once we have 75% then is the time to look at roads.

I've heard of EVs suffering "vampire losses" of charge. Mine does "big miles", so I've never really laid it up for long enough to see, but last week, I parked at an airport on Tuesday morning with 66% in the battery, and came back to it on Friday afternoon, with 66% in the battery.

Of course, laying an ICE car up for long periods also has its associated problems...

I parked at an airport on Tuesday morning with 66% in the battery, and came back to it on Friday afternoon, with 66% in the battery.
I once parked my car at the airport for 3 weeks. When I came back, I still had the same amount of petrol in the car.

I once parked my car at the airport for 3 weeks. When I came back, I still had the same amount of petrol in the car.

That's pretty unlikely in reality, but ICE engines are so inefficient, that the small evaporative losses won't even register on the fuel gauge...

Sponsored Links
Back